USA approves sale of lab-grown meat made from cultivated cells!

marylander1940

OP note: Does it really tase like chicken? It's also known as "no-kill" meat and I think it should be part of our diet and not all of it. 

230622095057-upside-foods-cultured-meat-
WWW.CNN.COM

Soon, Americans are going to able to try chicken that comes directly from chicken cells rather than, well, a chicken.

8 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I read a science-fiction novel once, can't remember the title, where everybody ate synthetic meat - only the extremely wealthy could afford real naturally-produced meat.

It will be the 21st century version of Marie Antoinette's notorious line.  But instead of cake, "let them eat synthetic meat!"

On 6/25/2023 at 7:33 PM, BSR said:

It will be the 21st century version of Marie Antoinette's notorious line.  But instead of cake, "let them eat synthetic meat!"

Maybe that's why obesity in America is associated with poverty and if it wasn't for unhealthy and subsidize additives like corn syrup, some cheaper foods might be even more expensive and therefore unaffordable to poor folks.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 5:09 PM, bashful said:

Is it meant to increase the food supply, or lower the cost to consumers.  I remember being young, on my own, not making much money, and waiting for chicken drumsticks to go on sale for 10 cents a pound at Dominik's and stocking up.  

You should have bought them at Butera. They would have been seven cents a pound. 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:03 AM, marylander1940 said:

OP note: Does it really tase like chicken? It's also known as "no-kill" meat and I think it should be part of our diet and not all of it. 

230622095057-upside-foods-cultured-meat-
WWW.CNN.COM

Soon, Americans are going to able to try chicken that comes directly from chicken cells rather than, well, a chicken.

When lab-grown mean is commercially available I will try it. In addition to the environmental impact, so much of the meat we buy is produced in less-than-sanitary conditions. 

On 6/28/2023 at 5:09 PM, bashful said:

Is it meant to increase the food supply, or lower the cost to consumers.  I remember being young, on my own, not making much money, and waiting for chicken drumsticks to go on sale for 10 cents a pound at Dominik's and stocking up.  

When I was in college - I  bought packages of chicken backs. They had enough meat on them so they were good stewed and then I used the bones for soup. I also bought beef shanks - now they're pretty costly, but back then, they were considered not quite carbage.  They were excellent stewed.

9 hours ago, Rudynate said:

When I was in college - I  bought packages of chicken backs. They had enough meat on them so they were good stewed and then I used the bones for soup. I also bought beef shanks - now they're pretty costly, but back then, they were considered not quite carbage.  They were excellent stewed.

Same here with lamb shanks. There was a time they were generally regarded as bones you'd buy for your dog. Then they made their way into restaurants, and now they are sold at a premium in butchers' shops. There are wonderful recipes to slow cook them, supermarkets sell them in marinades, and also ready cooked, only requiring a short time in the oven to serve.

6 hours ago, mike carey said:

Same here with lamb shanks. There was a time they were generally regarded as bones you'd buy for your dog. Then they made their way into restaurants, and now they are sold at a premium in butchers' shops. There are wonderful recipes to slow cook them, supermarkets sell them in marinades, and also ready cooked, only requiring a short time in the oven to serve.

I see them on menus.  I'm tempted to order them but haven't taken the plunge.  I don't like lamb that tastes like lamb.  Every now and again, I encounter lamb that doesn't have that obnoxious lamb taste - it's tender and sweet wthout THAT taste.  When I encounter it, I think "Why can't all lamb taste like this?"

5 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I see them on menus.  I'm tempted to order them but haven't taken the plunge.  I don't like lamb that tastes like lamb.  Every now and again, I encounter lamb that doesn't have that obnoxious lamb taste - it's tender and sweet wthout THAT taste.  When I encounter it, I think "Why can't all lamb taste like this?"

I like the taste of lamb but mutton is a bit too much for me. My sister-in-law doesn't like lamb either so sometimes when I've visited them she'd have something else and my sister and I had lamb. Most lamb in shops here (apart from those shanks) is basic roasts or 'refined' cuts and minimal fat. Lately one place has started selling stewing lamb pieces that are great for things like curries and other slow cooked dishes. Perhaps not surprisingly it's halal so it's there to cater for middle eastern and subcontinent communities here. (There's an Indian takeaway at the railway station near one place I stay in Sydney that has goat curry. I've enjoyed other things from there so I plan to try the goat next time I'm there. We have a growing export trade in goat meat, mainly from marginal outback range land, but it rarely makes it to shops here.)

On 6/27/2023 at 4:12 AM, marylander1940 said:

Maybe that's why obesity in America is associated with poverty and if it wasn't for unhealthy and subsidize additives like corn syrup, some cheaper foods might be even more expensive and therefore unaffordable to poor folks.

actually - almost all food in US has some sort of preservative or additives for various reasons.  The lobbyists pay way too much money to the politicians to keep the American food supply unhealthy.  It’s not intended to be unhealthy, but that’s what happens when the suppliers are allowed to use additives/preservatives with almost no restrictions (as compared to Europe where it’s strictly regulated). 
thus begins the cycle of obesity & poor health, which feeds into the US healthcare system which is focused on crisis management vs preventative care.

You may disagree - but the fact is the US life expectancy is declining, which is in sharp contrast to other rich developed countries. Some will blame Covid, guns or fentanyl, etc.  Regardless, other rich developed countries do not have these same problems - it’s a unique American failure.

It’s actually a crisis of unlimited corporate money to politicians that dictates public policy which does not serve the people. Pure & simple corruption 

5 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

actually - almost all food in US has some sort of preservative or additives for various reasons.  The lobbyists pay way too much money to the politicians to keep the American food supply unhealthy.  It’s not intended to be unhealthy, but that’s what happens when the suppliers are allowed to use additives/preservatives with almost no restrictions (as compared to Europe where it’s strictly regulated). 
thus begins the cycle of obesity & poor health, which feeds into the US healthcare system which is focused on crisis management vs preventative care.

You may disagree - but the fact is the US life expectancy is declining, which is in sharp contrast to other rich developed countries. Some will blame Covid, guns or fentanyl, etc.  Regardless, other rich developed countries do not have these same problems - it’s a unique American failure.

It’s actually a crisis of unlimited corporate money to politicians that dictates public policy which does not serve the people. Pure & simple corruption 

and diabetes, and don't you forget about free mobility scooters for overweight folks! 

image.png.61a74373e7714aa91b0a4f85759c5fe6.png

14 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

and diabetes, and don't you forget about free mobility scooters for overweight folks! 

right - because the medical equipment manufacturers (scooters) are paying the politicians too.  

When the American people are more unhealthy (obese), companies make more money for products/services to treat obese patients.

Most meat produced in the US results from unsanitary and inhumane conditions.  Laboratory meat will cut down on the cost and the environmental impact from such things as methane gas from cows.  This is a case of a better solution.  As for taste, that is an individual.  Mostly our taste bud give us information of the flavor of food but that has little to do whether that taste is cionsidered pleasant or not.  My mother made the best tomato sauce said every Italian American child and all of them were right.  We learned to love the food that gave us connections to home and safety and comfort.  One day, that very well may be genetically produced meat with artificial flavoring to taste.  

• 2 months later...