USS Canberra Commissioned in Sydney

mike carey

https://twitter.com/AmboRudd/status/1682916680362770435?s=20This is the first time that a USN ship has been commissioned in a foreign port, and coincides with US participation in the multi-national Exercise Talisman Sabre in Australia. As Ambassador Rudd noted, although the ship bears the name of Australia's national capital, she is named for HMAS Canberra, and is the second ship to bear the name. She is the only ship in the US Navy that carries the name of a foreign capital.

Today the ship's company exercised their right to enter the city of Canberra with drums beating, colours flying, and bayonets fixed to exercise the freedom of the city.

6 hours ago, mike carey said:

Today the ship's company exercised their right to enter the city of Canberra with drums beating, colours flying, and bayonets fixed to exercise the freedom of the city.

It took me a few seconds to figure out how the crew got there. Curious, I looked up navigability, and found out that the Murrumbidgee River is only navigable to Gundagai, apparently.

undefined

8 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Given that her parents were such good looking people, Caroline sure drew the short straw on the genetics lottery. She ended up looking like most of the Kennedy women, horsey.

Like Princess Anne, really, whose parents were also exceptionally goodlooking. 

that comparison's sort of an insult to horses. 

Also, Caroline Kennedy is a political appointee to a diplomatic posting and while there is nothing wrong with that, she has chosen to put herself in the public eye. Once choosing to become a public figure, all fair comment is not only to be expected but goes with the job. I don't think she would be ambassador without her family connections to the Democratic Party and Kennedy pedigree.

3 hours ago, mike carey said:

Disparaging a woman because of her appearance. Classy!

How about men? I think the Prince of Wales looks like a cue ball! ;) Or does someone need a sense of humor?

Prince William Playing Pool Bute Mills Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image  | Shutterstock

Vancouver Whale Watching Adventure | North America Travel Service

Edited by Unicorn