Are you "gay"? Are you "queer"? What the hell are you?!

Charlie

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Becket said:

Words change with usage and time of course. Gay was "happy." Queer was "unusual or odd." They were perfectly fine words used all the time. So, using the old definitions, I am both gay and queer. I also sleep with men. 

Exactly!

Isn't it queer that homosexuals would choose a word to describe them that focuses on their differences from society, rather than just trying to be gay!   Life is too short to be anything other than happy 😊

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

On 6/8/2024 at 8:13 PM, Manhattan said:

others have the right to judge, hate, and insult me. 

Freedom is for everyone, but it's not easy or polite

To quote the boxing legend, Mike Tyson:

”Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”. 

I wouldn’t say that everyone has the “right” to be cruel to others. Rights are something that people are entitled to, based on  enlightened standards that makes humans the most civilized, developed living species. With that said …. IMO, the nastiness that people impose on others aren’t “rights” but is the use (more like abuse) of their FREE WILL, which comes with necessary consequences. 

So in turn, someone may FEEL that they have the “right” to abuse their free will and call me a slur, based on my sexual orientation or race…. But I also have the opportunity to use my free will and go upside their head and beat the crap out of them. 

Nastiness and being disgusting towards others isn’t a “right”. It’s a degenerate use of free will, glossed over with the false sense of “rights.” 

Edited by Monarchy79

I’m personally fine with identifying as homosexual or gay. Being a millennial I do remember the word queer being used as an insult, in my youth. And of course the word gay was thrown around all the time in middle and high school, as a substitute for lame, or stupid, or something sucks. I’m glad things are changing with today’s youth. 

Edited by caramelsub

10 hours ago, Monarchy79 said:

So in turn, someone may FEEL that they have the “right” to abuse their free will and call me a slur, based on my sexual orientation or race…. But I also have the opportunity to use my free will and go upside their head and beat the crap out of them.

The right to free speech and acts of physical violence are two completely separate things. They are often confused and it can easily lead to unfortunate outcomes. In the above scenario, you’d be spending a lot more time in jail and paying a much bigger penalty than the mouthy homophobe/racist. Not because of "systematic homophobia/racism in our justice system", but because you didn’t understand the basic difference between actions and words. 

In my world, you can say whatever you want. But touch me?…and you’re gonna get fucked up. 

8 hours ago, nycman said:

The right to free speech and acts of physical violence are two completely separate things. They are often confused and it can easily lead to unfortunate outcomes. In the above scenario, you’d be spending a lot more time in jail and paying a much bigger penalty than the mouthy homophobe/racist. Not because of "systematic homophobia/racism in our justice system", but because you didn’t understand the basic difference between actions and words. 

In my world, you can say whatever you want. But touch me?…and you’re gonna get fucked up. 

I think that people have forgotten that one can be charged and even sued for verbal abuse. 

6 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

I think that people have forgotten that one can be charged and even sued for verbal abuse. 

Any attorney will tell you that "charged" and "sued" are a million miles away from "convicted". 

Verbal abuse in and of itself is not a crime. If the verbal abuse veers into threats of bodily harm, that’s another matter. But it’s a well established fact that merely calling someone a "f-ggot" is not a crime. 

Yes, I’m an ardent defender of the 1st amendment, even when it hurts. 

1 hour ago, nycman said:

I have no doubts about offensive language. But the challenges of regulating freedom of speech are complicated, specially in the global cloud era. I think most people would agree that inciting to physical violence or crimes should not be allowed. But how do we manage disinformation? 

So I am also an ardent defender of the 1st amendment, depending on how much it hurts. 

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

First you need to separate facts from opinions.

Facebook routinely filters out "inconvenient facts" as misinformation.

Allowng anyone to manage your information is historically, a dangerous game.

That is precisely why I highlight this challenge. It is easy to say that we should separate facts from opinions, but not so easy to actually do it.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:41 AM, wsc said:

I appreciate the instruction. Sometimes my aging brain makes connections with the wrong data points.

Also, an archaic meaning for "fa--ot" is a bundle of firewood.

16 hours ago, Monarchy79 said:

You are a defender of the underbelly of human nature. 

That’s not good. 

Never evoke fairness onto the foul or the rotten. 

That's the point of free speech, it protects speech we hate as well as speech we love. 

Most of society used to think that homosexuality represented the underbelly of human nature. Fortunately, some people defended us.

57 minutes ago, Manhattan said:

That's the point of free speech, it protects speech we hate as well as speech we love. 

Most of society used to think that homosexuality represented the underbelly of human nature. Fortunately, some people defended us.

Yes!  And isn't it queer that the people who now benefit from the undesirable speech of the past which defended us, now want to be the first to tell others how to change their language?  Ironically strange indeed.

23 hours ago, nycman said:

Any attorney will tell you that "charged" and "sued" are a million miles away from "convicted". 

Verbal abuse in and of itself is not a crime. If the verbal abuse veers into threats of bodily harm, that’s another matter. But it’s a well established fact that merely calling someone a "f-ggot" is not a crime. 

Me too, unless is a threat. 

I'm a proud member of Pink Pistols Maryland chapter, so far, I only had to wave my gun once in Hagerstown to save a friend of mine from being mugged by a pack of rednecks. 

Edited by marylander1940

Queer is also associated with postmodern language/power games that queer big bad binaries. They seem to think that they have amassed enough power to continue to play their tedious language games without the protection of free speech rights. They're wrong as usual. 

ETA: 80%+ of people who identify as queer are middle-class females (desperately trying to be hip). I see no reason to categorize myself with people with whom I have virtually nothing in common.

Edited by Lotus-eater