Retiring to Vietnam to be upper middle class for only $1,000 x month?

23 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Moving to a poor country to live better than your neighbors is like choosing to take remedial classes in school so you can be the smartest student in the class.  You'll get by just fine, but are you really living your best life?

But this discussion isn't about moving to a poor country and trying to live better than your neighbors.

It's about having a good, personal quality of life for the money you have saved.

If you've traveled enough, you know that there are many places with a lower income range that still have an incredible standard of living.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2024 at 8:43 PM, nycman said:

Nor should they.

I think it’s amazing when people think they can just move into community and be treated like a "local".

That’s not how it works. 

I agree.  I certainly didn't mean to imply they should.

On 6/4/2024 at 8:05 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

To me, it's an incredibly (entitled, funny, odd) American behavior to expect the entire world to speak English.  

30 years ago.. yeah

Today you can easily get that impression because English is the default tourist language throughout the world.

I am often shocked at the ease with which you can find English spoken even in the most remote corners if they want to promote their tourism.

20 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

30 years ago.. yeah

Today you can easily get that impression because English is the default tourist language throughout the world.

I am often shocked at the ease with which you can find English spoken even in the most remote corners if they want to promote their tourism.

Expectation is different than happenstance.

Americans- especially untraveled ones- think if they just speak English loudly, they will be accomodated.

I see it on a routine basis. 

I also kinda love it when cultures (French, South American, MX, Asian) don't just roll over and placate.