The Outsiders, A New Musical

If you enjoyed the book and movie, you are going to love this show. 

The setting is 1967 Tulsa, Oklahoma. The 2 rival groups are the Greasers and the Socs. They are constantly fighting which leads to one of the best choreographed fight numbers Broadway has seen. 

It’s a young and attractive cast… Making his Broadway debut is Brody Grant playing Ponyboy. He's on stage the entire performance. He’s extremely talented not only in acting but singing and dancing. He really connected with the audience as you could hear a lot of sniffles during the 2nd Act. 

The role of Johnny is played by Sky Lakota Lynch. He’s performed Off-Broadway. He does an excellent job in this role. Great voice & energy. 

It’s an easy show to follow. The songs tell the story and sides between the Greasers & Socs are well distinguish. There was some blind-casting but it made no difference.

I’ll be interested to find out on 4/30 how many Tony nominations this show receives. 

I highly recommend seeing it. Right now it’s an easy ticket to get but come 4/30 it might not be. 

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tony Awards is on Sunday, June 16th. 🥇 

@Lucky, I haven’t seen all the nominated musicals but I’m rooting for “The Outsiders”. I heard they were selected to perform a number from the show. If they can pull it off, I hope it’s the amazing fight/dance number in the rain. ️ 

Best Book of a Musical

Hell's Kitchen

Kristoffer Diaz

The Notebook

Bekah Brunstetter

The Outsiders

Adam Rapp and Justin Levine

Suffs

Shaina Taub

Water for Elephants

Rick Elice

On 6/9/2024 at 10:29 AM, Cooper said:

Tony Awards is on Sunday, June 16th. 🥇 

@Lucky, I haven’t seen all the nominated musicals but I’m rooting for “The Outsiders”. I heard they were selected to perform a number from the show. If they can pull it off, I hope it’s the amazing fight/dance number in the rain. ️ 

Best Book of a Musical

Hell's Kitchen

Kristoffer Diaz

The Notebook

Bekah Brunstetter

The Outsiders

Adam Rapp and Justin Levine

Suffs

Shaina Taub

Water for Elephants

Rick Elice

Well, “The Outsiders” won the Tony for best musical in a sort of upset. They did do the fight/dance number and it looked terrific. I imagine tickets are going to skyrocket now but I really want to see it. I never saw the movie though. 

“The Outsiders” took home 4 Tony awards.  The biggest award being for Best Musical. 🎭 

If you haven’t seen the show, read the book, or watched the movie, it would be very difficult to get an understanding of  it from just watching a 5 minute segment on the Tony Awards. 

For those that did see it on Broadway, you know the story is well told/developed and acted. The  youthful actors make a wonderful connection with the audience. There’s a lot of action taking place on that stage. 🔥 The much talked about dance/fight scene in the rain is most mesmerizing  and emotional. Too bad “The Outsiders”  didn’t take home the Tony for Best Choreography. 

When the book and movie originally came out there was a comparison made between Romeo & Juliet, West Side Story, and The Outsiders. All dealing with  fighting rival groups. Having seen all 3 on stage there definitely is a clear distinction in the story lines. 

Here are some pictures of the show taken during the Tony’s. 🥇 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg