grace period

Go to solution Solved by RyanDean,

5 minutes ago, Coolwave35 said:

Agreed. 

IMG_2746.jpeg

A perfect example of "the easiest way to get what you want is to let people know what you want."

It wasn't bitchy, rude, or demeaning. It was simple. 'Reach out to me when ready to book.' That happened, and an appointment was set.

43 minutes ago, APPLE1 said:

A perfect example of "the easiest way to get what you want is to let people know what you want."

It wasn't bitchy, rude, or demeaning. It was simple. 'Reach out to me when ready to book.' That happened, and an appointment was set.

I actually don't like this 'direct' approach at all and would opt out if I got a response like this so...ymmv To me, this is a sign that the session will also be the bare minimum. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, TT3690 said:

I actually don't like this 'direct' approach at all and would opt out if I got a response like this so...ymmv To me, this is a sign that the session will also be the bare minimum. 

I wasn't trying to label the session as "perfect." I frequently see things in ads about preferring phone or video calls, times to reach out, chats about getting to know one another, etc. I am not making judgements about any of those preferences. It was a big picture comment on simply and clearly  expressing preferences for communication.

Edited by APPLE1

Posted (edited)

the thing with making provider appointments weeks in advance is the very high-probability of cancellations.  Appointments w providers typically aren’t given same priority as doctor/dentist/attorney appointments- things that have to get done.  Provider appointments are entirely elective & it’s the first thing cancelled when travel plans change, family commitments come-up, job requirements, unforeseen emergencies or the time just becomes inconvenient. Many clients don’t have long-term relationships w the providers so they will cancel without the same courtesies they give to doctors/dentists/lawyers, etc  it’s just someone they don’t know - not all of course, but many. 

To each their own - I just don’t like to waste anyone’s time, including mine until I know nothing will get in the way either same day or day before.  I really can’t plan weeks ahead on being horny at a specific day & time, nor do I know my body will cooperate either.

Plus, when making same day or day before - the provider knows you’re more likely serious. Thats just the way it works.

Scheduling travel with a provider for several days or maybe booking a weekend would be the only time I’d contact weeks in advance. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

7 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

the thing with making provider appointments weeks in advance is the very high-probability of cancellations.  Appointments w providers typically aren’t given same priority as doctor/dentist/attorney appointments- things that have to get done.  Provider appointments are entirely elective & it’s the first thing cancelled when travel plans change, family commitments come-up, job requirements, unforeseen emergencies or the time just becomes inconvenient. Many clients don’t have long-term relationships w the providers so they will cancel without the same courtesies they give to doctors/dentists/lawyers, etc  it’s just someone they don’t know - not all of course, but many. 

To each their own - I just don’t like to waste anyone’s time, including mine until I know nothing will get in the way either same day or day before.  I really can’t plan weeks ahead on being horny at a specific day & time, nor do I know my body will cooperate either.

Plus, when making same day or day before - the provider knows you’re more likely serious. Thats just the way it works.

Scheduling travel with a provider for several days or maybe booking a weekend would be the only time I’d contact weeks in advance. 

I hear and get what you are saying.  My work schedule kind of leaves me in the situation where I need to book sometimes multiple weeks in advance so I have that time locked in.  For me, this is my relax and unwind time,  so unless there is an emergency, I'm keeping that appointment.  My providers have been cool with that setup.

To clarify my post, I attempted to hire the provider (there’s no chatter about him here) three months ago. He wasn’t seeing clients but wanted to chat. It turns out he was going through a break up and needed a friend. I didn’t seek him out to be his friend I wanted a session. I asked him several times to please stop reaching out until he was taking clients again. I have zero expectation of him keeping the appointment for this Thursday. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2024 at 5:20 PM, RyanDean said:

did finally reply a few hours before planned meetup

The above seems very significant in this situation. We can certainly debate all day about which providers prefer advanced notice and how much, or which providers prefer same day meet ups, and which is more likely to come to fruition. Provider and client lives vary a lot, and the scheduling protocols that work for one, may not work for another.

BUT, when you have an appointment scheduled in advance, AND you confirm that appointment a few hours before the meeting, you've really accomplished the best of both worlds. There's plenty of notice, and you should be able to assume that everyone is still serious and ready to make it happen. There are very few good reasons to miss an appointment that was confirmed just a few hours prior. And almost no good reasons to not communicate why you failed show up for the meeting.

Edited by APPLE1
Spelling

My “grace period” is 15 minutes. I feel that’s long enough to wait for someone who has my phone number and can contact me. 

When I was dating (both regular guys and providers), I was clear about making plans and scheduling a date…and I always messaged mid-morning to confirm that we were meeting that evening as planned.

I only ever had 2 working guys not respond to my message and they were no-shows,  so my ‘Plan B’ took effect.

As somebody who has struggled with running late my whole life (I've tried countless approaches and somehow still struggle to gauge precisely how long things take... sigh, thanks executive dysfunction!) I have learned that no matter what the context, you must communicate frequently, consistently, and as early as possible so as not to waste someone's time or leave them in the dark. By and large people are understanding and can adjust if given the tools they need to do so. But even I lose patience with someone gone incomunicado and precisely the least practical moment!