for providers - the thing nobody talks about

Go to solution Solved by Simon Suraci,

1 hour ago, DunwoodyGuy said:

"Some of the conversation around drug resistance with Doxy PEP is likely fueled by stigma, bias, and homophobia. The idea that we would withhold an effective, evidence-based prevention intervention from gay, bi, and Queer men, and trans folx having condomless sex is simply unacceptable. They may ask the question, 'Why not just use condoms?' We’ve heard it all before, especially when PrEP rolled out more than 10 years ago."

WWW.SFAF.ORG

In late 2022, the San Francisco Department of Public Health and San Francisco AIDS Foundation began recommending an STI prevention strategy called “Doxy...

There may be some of that (stigma, bias), but the science is clear: antibiotics use should be a last resort not a routinely used item. Big pharma is happy to make a profit today even if it leads to long term problems.  We should know better and I will stick to the advice from my doctor. 

Hey everyone, 

Provider here! I’m based in Montreal so I don’t know if it would be the same in the USA, but I’ve been open about what I do with my doctor. As a result, I get tested monthly as opposed to the standard every three months for most men who sleep with men. I’m also on Prep & DoxyPep (taken every three days). 

I tend to cater to each individual client preference regarding condoms. That being said, I feel that condoms only really protect from sti’s in the rear. I have two clients who place a lot of importance on mitigating their risk as much as possible.

One only performs oral sex with a condom. The other one doesn’t want any contact with mouth/genitals other than with hands or body rubbing. 
In my opinion, the bigger factor that determines risks of sti’s is the degree of regular testing, or using protection for all sexual activities and not just for specific acts within a given sexual moment. 

On 6/9/2024 at 10:01 AM, Enzo Falcone said:

Hey everyone, 

Provider here! I’m based in Montreal so I don’t know if it would be the same in the USA, but I’ve been open about what I do with my doctor. As a result, I get tested monthly as opposed to the standard every three months for most men who sleep with men. I’m also on Prep & DoxyPep (taken every three days). 

I tend to cater to each individual client preference regarding condoms. That being said, I feel that condoms only really protect from sti’s in the rear. I have two clients who place a lot of importance on mitigating their risk as much as possible.

One only performs oral sex with a condom. The other one doesn’t want any contact with mouth/genitals other than with hands or body rubbing. 
In my opinion, the bigger factor that determines risks of sti’s is the degree of regular testing, or using protection for all sexual activities and not just for specific acts within a given sexual moment. 

I love your name - brought back fond memories from one of my favorite movies. 

https://youtu.be/m-rNxnf55a0

Also glad that you are able to be open with your doctor about your life and wellness. Keep it up. 👍

1 hour ago, KeepItReal said:

I love your name - brought back fond memories from one of my favorite movies. 

https://youtu.be/m-rNxnf55a0

Also glad that you are able to be open with your doctor about your life and wellness. Keep it up. 👍

Classic movie! 

And yeah, I’m very fortunate to have a family doctor in an LGBTQ+ clinic where I can be open about these things, and receive the type of care I need! 

On 6/9/2024 at 10:01 AM, Enzo Falcone said:

I get tested monthly as opposed to the standard every three months for most men who sleep with men

this sounds smart & responsible for a provider - I really don’t see how 3 months could possibly work given the number of partners a provider could have during that time 

everyone says you’re only ok at the moment that last test was done & that’s true.  but w more frequent testing,  the probability decreases of unknowingly passing on an STI if asymptomatic

8 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

this sounds smart & responsible for a provider - I really don’t see how 3 months could possibly work given the number of partners a provider could have during that time 

everyone says you’re only ok at the moment that last test was done & that’s true.  but w more frequent testing,  the probability decreases of unknowingly passing on an STI if asymptomatic

Thanks. In Canada our health system is publicly funded, which means that quite often, services are only provided on an as-needed basis. For members of the LGBTQ+ community, testing is typically administered every three months (especially for those on PrEP for the blood work). 

I told my doctor about this work back in October. It was only in April that I asked if it was possible to get tested more regularly. I also asked him about Doxy PEP, which he put me on. 

I'm not sure how accessible STI testing is in the USA. Are services fully covered? The way it works here for STI's: if it's preventative (PReP & Doxy PEP), you have to pay (although with our publicly funded medicare program, it's about $250 a month). For treatment of all other STI's (with the exception of HIV), they are absolutely free.

So while I have access to these great services, and can just walk into my clinic every month, I want to be sensitive to other parts of the world where maybe these services come with a cost. My family doctor works in a clinic that specializes with the LGBTQ+ community, so I'm super comfortable talking to him about everything.