Dayuse vs Hotelsbyday

Posted (edited)

I’ve used dayuse.com several times.  super easy with lots of options in big cities.  you can pay on the website or upon arrival at hotel.  very good deals & deep discounts compared to overnight rates.  

it’s a perfect solution for hiring - totally worth it to avoid risk of having a stranger in your home

it makes sense - hotels are getting additional revenue from unused rooms during the day.  

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

I recently signed up for dayuse app myself. I haven’t used it yet, however there’s 3 hotels participating in the city I live near. Which is okay, but in the future I will start using them if I need to arrange things earlier than a typical hotel will allow.

However, from my observations they are mainly only available in bigger metros. And sometimes the rate could be close to what booking for the night somewhere could be. However the advantage is that earlier check in. 

I’m also going to start referring clients to use it themselves, if I’m not hosting on a particular day and the client can’t host either. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, jmichaeliii said:

I use Dayuse to host my providers so we can meet in the middle to early afternoon.  Not a lot of options near me, but I only really need one.

I think I’ll start referring all clients in my local area to dayuse if they want me to host. Simply because I don’t like the hotels in my area: they’re either dirty or overpriced. When I lived in Orlando and Dallas, I used to be able to get many options to 3 and 4 star hotels for under $100. But something about the Midwest, many of the good brands here are like buying tickets for 4 to visit Six Flags 😐 

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

11 hours ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

however there’s 3 hotels participating in the city I live near

Note this changes up…there’s a particular Hilton I really like using, but it doesn’t always pop up on as available on DayUse. I suspect it has to do with how busy they are, and the fill in quiet times with DayUse and other similar apps. But there is always something/somewhere available.

1 hour ago, MikeBiDude said:

Note this changes up…there’s a particular Hilton I really like using, but it doesn’t always pop up on as available on DayUse. I suspect it has to do with how busy they are, and the fill in quiet times with DayUse and other similar apps. But there is always something/somewhere available.

Good point…

And that means people will have to keep in mind; it isn’t a bathhouse. You can’t just pull out dayuse as if walking into midtown spa. I checked and there are some variations in availability. I also noticed trying to book the “Day of” might not work, because if you don’t book by the time that slot starts, there may only be the next available spot.

That’s another reason why I’m going to discourage and incentivize same day, afternoon appointments with an added same day booking tip. Not that I don’t want to do same day meets, but I need to start getting paid more for it. 

On 6/6/2024 at 10:48 AM, JamesB said:

I haven't personally used either site, but I'm interested in using them in the future. Based on your experience, which site do you think is better, Dayuse or Hotelsbyday?

I've been using Dayuse since being introduced to it on here back in 2019. I rarely have providers at my actual residence (s) so Dayuse has become super clutch for me. Just remember before you book to call the hotel and ask protocol for "friends" that are visiting you. 

3 hours ago, DMICS said:

Just remember before you book to call the hotel and ask protocol for "friends" that are visiting you

I’ve never once called ahead and asked that. If there’s an elevator key pass required I meet in the lobby, if not…right up to my room. Zero issues with visitors here in SoCal, ever. My feeling is most hotel employees have “seen it all”.

20 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

I’ve never once called ahead and asked that. If there’s an elevator key pass required I meet in the lobby, if not…right up to my room. Zero issues with visitors here in SoCal, ever. My feeling is most hotel employees have “seen it all”.

I only book places that don't need sign-in or key cards. To avoid frustration I call in advance to make sure. 

Posted (edited)

DayUse has worked very well for me in Hong Kong. Nice offers at affordable rates, easy booking, pay at check in, free cancellation even at the last minute, zero issues with visitors.

2 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

If there’s an elevator key pass required I meet in the lobby, if not…right up to my room.

Exactly. 

Edited by liubit

12 hours ago, liubit said:

DayUse has worked very well for me in Hong Kong. Nice offers at affordable rates, easy booking, pay at check in, free cancellation even at the last minute, zero issues with visitors.

Exactly. 

The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a enticing alternative.

However, the main catch 22 I can see with that is, what if you decide last minute you need the room for the night? Or a client books an evening in-call unexpectedly? I’d assume then one would have to pay for the full night again, on top of the dayuse price. In that case, you almost come out better doing 2 nights. 

In my case, I’ll probably reserve dayuse in situations where I already have somewhere else to stay in the evening…or if I don’t want to stay in a particular city the whole night, just during the afternoon for a booking and be on my way. Sometimes I’ve disliked having to stay a whole extra night in a hotel, just to take a 1 p.m. appointment.

18 minutes ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a enticing alternative.

However, the main catch 22 I can see with that is, what if you decide last minute you need the room for the night? Or a client books an evening in-call unexpectedly? I’d assume then one would have to pay for the full night again, on top of the dayuse price. In that case, you almost come out better doing 2 nights. 

In my case, I’ll probably reserve dayuse in situations where I already have somewhere else to stay in the evening…or if I don’t want to stay in a particular city the whole night, just during the afternoon for a booking and be on my way. Sometimes I’ve disliked having to stay a whole extra night in a hotel, just to take a 1 p.m. appointment.

In the hotel I use, the blocks of time are 7-1, 10-4 and 1-7.  I believe you would need to reserve a room separately with hotel for the scenario you mention.  Dayuse is 3rd party not necessarily affiliated with the hotel.

If you have a Bonvoy account, poke around and you will find that Marriott has its own proprietary day hotel program. They are not usually much cheaper than Dayuse but you may find some otherwise unlisted options there. I wonder if any of the other big chains have such a thing going on..

Have used Dayuse several times with good results, have not heard of Hotelsbyday before, good to know there's another option.  Thanks @Jason Dutch for the top on Bonvoy, will check it out.  Only issue with Dayuse is the available hotels change over time....you can almost always find a hotel in the area you want (in cities) however the options change based on their availability I assume.

3 hours ago, Jason Dutch said:

If you have a Bonvoy account, poke around and you will find that Marriott has its own proprietary day hotel program. They are not usually much cheaper than Dayuse but you may find some otherwise unlisted options there. I wonder if any of the other big chains have such a thing going on..

Thanks for that info.  I'm a Marriott member and had no idea.  Will do some research.

16 hours ago, Jason Dutch said:

I don’t think it does. I tried something like that this week, and even called Marriot to try and book a partial day. I ended up using Dayuse. 

On 6/13/2024 at 8:03 PM, goosh69 said:

I don’t think it does. I tried something like that this week, and even called Marriot to try and book a partial day. I ended up using Dayuse. 

I've used it recently. Though not every city has options... the program seems to have some brand identity issues to work out because it's variously called Work Anywhere, Day Pass and Day Use Rate, but check out https://workanywhere.marriott.com/  to see the options. Here's more about it as well: 

On 6/13/2024 at 8:03 PM, goosh69 said:

I used to work for a Marriott hotel here in Buffalo at one time fairly recently and never came across anyone booking for just during the day. The funny thing though that I wanna mention is on the one check in screen there is a column for day rooms as you can see but in all my training it never even was mentioned. And it'd always be zero. If anyone has any other question btw about anything on the screen feel free to ask.

welcome-to-fosse-those-three-most-famili

15 hours ago, Jason Dutch said:

I've used it recently. Though not every city has options... the program seems to have some brand identity issues to work out because it's variously called Work Anywhere, Day Pass and Day Use Rate, but check out https://workanywhere.marriott.com/  to see the options. Here's more about it as well: 

Checked a couple cities and every listed hotels shows up as unavailable 

• 1 month later...

I want to save this thread (or any other) for future reference?  Is there a good way to bookmark it to find easily in the future rather than scrolling through pages to find it again?  I can “ follow” it but wanted to bookmark it. Thanks! 

I’m willing to bet that Marriott’s “work anywhere” program was created as a part of a “get revenue any way you can” strategy during the pandemic, when hotels were empty.  Over time, it became less important as a revenue generator, so hotels stopped participating in the program. But, as @BuffaloKyle mentioned, the product is still listed in their Property Management System, which I’m guessing is ancient since they’re still using “Green Screen” rather than a GUI interface.  I doubt that any more than a few hotels are still in the program.  Too bad, since those of us that are Bonvoy members would have loved this option!

4 hours ago, Moke said:

I want to save this thread (or any other) for future reference?  Is there a good way to bookmark it to find easily in the future rather than scrolling through pages to find it again?  I can “ follow” it but wanted to bookmark it. Thanks! 

If you "follow" it when you click on your name in the top right corner and click on "manage followed content" all the threads you "follow" will be listed. So that's the same as a bookmark isn't it pretty much. There is no scrolling through pages unless you are following numerous threads. Or the other way then is to save this thread url as a bookmark on your browser.