Vegas vs Palm Springs

moonlight

I've actually driven to Palm Springs from the south LA area just to get a good, direct flight to Winnipeg.

Grew up going to PS area and still love it.  Accessibility is great from LA however, I did spend 3 hrs on Interstate 10 one Sunday afternoon heading back to the OC from PS.  New rule: I never drive home on a Sunday afternoon.  

the OP indicated that they would be moving in the "distant future", so no utter sense of urgency is necessary.....!!

have been to both places many times.....

Las Vegas is nothing more or less than a now-large routine city with crazy drivers, lots of new soulless subdivisions, some growing pains, a heavily transient population, and, uhh, well, some really tall buildings clustered over there a ways......it also has stable employers, family neighborhoods, a low cost of living, year-round recreation, and an efficient airport with quick connections to the world......

Palm Springs (and the "other desert cities" in the Coachella Valley - they really are nearly one), to me, has always had a laid-back, resort-y vibe, even among the rank-and-file local workers and residents, as if everybody is on vacation......wide-open spaces, wide roads, no rush to get something done, and a certain level of tolerance (an elderly button-down couple fresh from the country club walking down Palm Canyon next to a same-sex/hand-holding couple in tights eyeing the leather shop)........  

the OP will need to spend lots of time in each place to decide.....they are quite different from each other........

by the way, for road/highway nuts like me, I noticed that CalTrans has changed "other Desert Cities" to "Other Desert Cities" on area highways signs......that awkward lower-case "o" really looked weird for all those years and I'm sure Palm Desert, Cathedral City, Thousand Palms, Indio et al felt worthy of capitalization....

b6f948ba-5265-4438-b8da-6e78f7dceaca-DSC09852_1.thumb.webp.7617abe54af894c280e09081baabedd2.webp

image.jpeg.9fb542ddd875919e64461e8b3525be67.jpeg

Edited by azdr0710

45 minutes ago, moonlight said:

Any opinions on the quality of providers between the two cities, if any difference? Similar number of listings on RM.

First, to answer Keep It Real, if you're going to make a crazy comparison, you shouldn't leave out Las Vegas, New Mexico. 

Now, as for residing, all of what is said is spot-on thus far (although I HATE seeing signs indicating heading out of Vegas that the 15 South goes to Los Angeles). It doesn't. It goes to San Diego, which is a large enough metropolis to have the clout for those signs to be changed. 

I erroneously was thinking you were asking about providers to begin with, so I'm glad you circled back to that. Palm Springs, without question, is better than Las Vegas for seeing providers. In fact, from personal experience living so close, Vegas is largely terrible. I'm always on the lookout for traveling guys and arrange to see them. People visit from time to time that interest me, so that keeps me happy (and from going broke).

Palm Springs is an absolute mecca for finding attractive, kind providers. I still have to keep an eye out for the "elderist" ones on my bucket list since so many are who I yearn to see at least once. Those annoying pop-up ads with the shirtless exercising grandpas looking hot - they mostly all live in the greater Palm Springs area. 

I had this choice to make twenty years ago, so I went to stay in and check out both cities. I found myself feeling much more at home and relaxed in PS than in LV. Ultimately, I voted for PS, because LV seemed like an island in the desert, whereas PS was closer to other options for places to go and things to do whenever I wanted to get out of the neighborhood. I was also influenced, as searchers usually are, by the people I happened to meet during my search: I found many more people who I thought could turn into regular friends in PS than I did in LV, and I have found it easy to make friends here. It is also nice to live in a place where one never has to explain that the companion with you is your same-sex spouse (everyone assumes that anyway). My partner, on the other hand, often asks me why we ended up here, because he finds the physical ambience too boringly suburban--he likes city centers, hi-rises and public mass transportation, and would have chosen San Francisco if we could have afforded the real estate. Of course, places change over 20 years, and so do people, but I think I would make the same choice if I were doing it again today.

14 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

......they are quite different from each other........

Nailed it.  Apples to oranges.  IMHO the only thing they have in common is the summer heat and maybe sand. 

I'd determine what you're looking for in a retirement city and see which one hits closest.  And, maybe it's somewhere else. 

I spend my winters in Palm Springs returning to Seattle for the summer.  I could go on for the next hour on why I love Palm Springs and its advantages - hit me up if you have questions. 

I heard years ago that PS has a vast amount of water underneath it so shouldn't have a problem with water shortages in the future.  I believe that LV is already experiencing problems with water shortages.  Am I correct?

2 hours ago, Travis69 said:

I heard years ago that PS has a vast amount of water underneath it so shouldn't have a problem with water shortages in the future.  I believe that LV is already experiencing problems with water shortages.  Am I correct?

water policy in the entire western US is exceedingly complicated and ever-evolving.......suffice to say that water will come out of your bathroom/kitchen faucet for the foreseeable future........farmers and ranchers will have greater concern in the coming decades......some homeowners may want to eliminate that patch of grass or those non-native plants to at least show they ostensibly care......

Edited by azdr0710

3 hours ago, Travis69 said:

PS actually does have a large natural aquifer underneath the valley, but it needs to be artificially replenished regularly, and ironically one of the sources that is used is the Colorado River, which is a crucial water source for Las Vegas.

3 minutes ago, Charlie said:

PS actually does have a large natural aquifer underneath the valley, but it needs to be artificially replenished regularly, and ironically one of the sources that is used is the Colorado River, which is a crucial water source for Las Vegas.

The valley hopefully has a plan to avoid overusing the aquifer.  In other places like Arizona that have not regulated their usage very well, rich agricultural operations have sunk their straws the deepest, causing smaller users wells to run dry.  In the most extreme cases it's causing severe ground subsidence and salt water intrusion into the aquifers.  Once an aquifer starts subsiding, it can't store as much water it originally could, so you can't pump it back up.

One friend describes PS as "hell" in summertime, that the heat is constant, even in the middle of the night, still hot.

Another friend moved away from PS.  Same reason.

I love visiting PS.  Beautiful.  Peaceful resorts .  A convenient drive for me.  But I gave up on buying a place over there.  The heat continues trending hotter.  

I lived in Vegas years ago for work.  It's changed a lot.   Not sure if I would have the patience for living there now, a million people living in the middle of the desert.   

image.png.cd0f21782d036f5ea26c5f85d966dc97.png

Edited by TonyDown

1 hour ago, moonlight said:

I'll take your word for it. Just seems like a big markup for a more personalized social experience, which at a certain age and with a certain income might actually be worth it in itself.

The inclusions seem generous. 

You'd pay double that at some of the 55+ communities that have opened in Manhattan.

I know that from having to recently price them.out for family members.