Suffs on Broadway

I saw Suffs yesterday.

The opening number was catching and entertaining. The fashions were great. The campy portrayal of President Woodrow Wilson was very one-sided, given he was one of our more successful Presidents whose progressive reforms helped improve the nation’s security, financial sector and education system. His leadership for peace and mutual respect among all nations of the world was recognized by his award of the Nobel Peace Prize. But this was a one-issue Broadway musical written to entertain, not a politician science dissertation.

Interesting and astute observation in the lyrics of the final number:

"You will always disagree with whomever's in charge."

Women’s Rights will always be a contemporary issue for the stage. Because men.

On the Tony segment last night, the only thing I noticed about the number they performed was that male color was missing from vocals - it needed some bass and tenor voices to fill out a big anthem like that. (put 2T + 2B in the pit, or sample them into synthesizer?) The one sacrifice to an all-female cast. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

On the Tony segment last night, the only thing I noticed about the number they performed was that male color was missing from vocals - it needed some bass and tenor voices to fill out a big anthem like that. (put 2T + 2B in the pit, or sample them into synthesizer?) The one sacrifice to an all-female cast. 

I had similar thoughts few times watching the full show... The anthems didn't quite have a "full" sound.  However, I think adding men to the pit is a bad idea.  If you're going to have an all women cast, leave it all women.  Introspectively, it's a good observation to make that we really do need everybody... Both sexes... To contribute to life, because they each bring something unique based on the differences in biology.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

Posted (edited)

Another queer observation I had when watching Suffs was they never mentioned President Woodrow Wilson was a Democrat.  They actually tried to subtly portray him as a Republican by saying "Show Blue if we win, and Red if Wilson wins".  Again, it's an afternoon entertainment and not a political science report.  But, it's amazing how many people I talked with in the audience afterwards incorrectly assumed he was a Republican based on the play; when, in fact, it was the Democratic party who supported segregation for a century whilst the Republican party fought against it.  It's scary how little about our country's history most people don't know.  I wouldn't see the play again for its numerous inaccuracies; but, I did enjoy the female fashions.

Added semicolon

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, nycman said:

Comedy genius. And I’m not a huge Jimminy Glick fan. 

Never heard of JG until I saw him interview Bill Maher.  I've been catching up on YouTube.  He did a great one with Bill Nader and another one With Jerry Seinfeld.

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 11:28 PM, MikeThomas said:

Jimminy Glick discusses Suffs at the 3:50 mark.

https://youtu.be/2T_Oz7zI6Oo

And you'll notice, they didn't really say anything about the actual play.  "If you can't say something nice..."

The play and song are alright... But it could have been a 30 minute Family Guy episode, not a 3 hour ordeal.  The audience gets the message in the first and last 20 minutes of the show.  The middle 2 hours of Suffs could have been cut, and it wouldn't have lost any story telling or entertainment value.

On 7/4/2024 at 5:33 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Oh, shit.

APNEWS.COM

A performance of the Broadway musical “Suffs” was briefly disrupted Tuesday when protesters unfurled a banner with the slogan “Suffs Is a White Wash” and...

Insufferable! These radicals want to re-write history. Not EVERYTHING has to be about or include lgbtq or black or any other minority. So happens the story of suffragettes has nothing to do about any minorities except for the still most oppressed one in the world today - women.