5:2 intermittent fasting

I've tried various forms of intermittent fasting and met with some success. With the recent tragic passing of the BBC's Dr. Michael Mosley, there is renewed attention on his advocacy for 5:2 intermittent fasting: 5 days of unrestricted diet, 2 days of a 600 calorie diet, as long as the 2 days are not consecutive. Has anyone tried it? Results, promising or otherwise? And what did you eat on your 600 calorie days? I have no problems fasting for 20 hours, so I think the 5:2 plan should be manageable for me. Just curious about the experience of others.

7 minutes ago, MidwestGuy25 said:

I've tried various forms of intermittent fasting and met with some success. With the recent tragic passing of the BBC's Dr. Michael Mosley, there is renewed attention on his advocacy for 5:2 intermittent fasting: 5 days of unrestricted diet, 2 days of a 600 calorie diet, as long as the 2 days are not consecutive. Has anyone tried it? Results, promising or otherwise? And what did you eat on your 600 calorie days? I have no problems fasting for 20 hours, so I think the 5:2 plan should be manageable for me. Just curious about the experience of others.

You really shouldn't take advice or put too much stock into the experience of smart asses on a public forum.  🤓

Outcome depends on your age, shape, diet, exercise and supplement routines. Basic intermittent fasting works for me at my age, shape and current exercise and supplement plan. 

Find a good advisor that can meet with you and discuss your needs and current situation. 

47 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

You really shouldn't take advice or put too much stock into the experience of smart asses on a public forum.  🤓

Outcome depends on your age, shape, diet, exercise and supplement routines. Basic intermittent fasting works for me at my age, shape and current exercise and supplement plan. 

Find a good advisor that can meet with you and discuss your needs and current situation. 

Thanks, and I agree - I won't take advice here too seriously! I am mostly interested in hearing about the experience of others (but not putting too much stock in it!). I am particularly curious about how 5:2 fasters plan for their 600 calorie days. Eat all 600 calories in one meal or divide it up? What time(s) of day? What ratio of macro nutrients? I will definitely seek out a local advisor, just curious about what others are doing. Thanks again for the response!

Your plan is doable, depending on your goal. When it comes to food intake;

proteins like:

3 egg whites (not including the yellow) + sweet potate for brunch, then roasted/steamed chicken breast for dinner. Nice combination for protein and complex carbs.

add some banana and limit salt intakes.

black coffee (iced or hot) is 10 calories. Limit sugar intake, you should see results in 2-3 weeks of consistency.

protein can vary, but I would advice against getting into oily foods and rice.

tuna pasta is great too.

I did this along with water fasting. Worked out well, felt less energy on my 1st week. But then my body adapted the following days.

1 hour ago, JohnJackNYC said:

Your plan is doable, depending on your goal. When it comes to food intake;

proteins like:

3 egg whites (not including the yellow) + sweet potate for brunch, then roasted/steamed chicken breast for dinner. Nice combination for protein and complex carbs.

add some banana and limit salt intakes.

black coffee (iced or hot) is 10 calories. Limit sugar intake, you should see results in 2-3 weeks of consistency.

protein can vary, but I would advice against getting into oily foods and rice.

tuna pasta is great too.

I did this along with water fasting. Worked out well, felt less energy on my 1st week. But then my body adapted the following days.

Thanks so much! Exactly the response I was looking for.