Sarah Brightman's "Sunset Boulevard" in trouble

The highly anticipated Melbourne production of 'Sunset Boulevard', led by Sarah Brightman as 'Norma Desmond' has hit a few problems. First, the production got terrible reviews when it opened in May.  About a month after it opened, the theater announced it was cutting back performances due to 'low ticket sales'.  Tuesday night and Sunday matinee performances were canceled, starting June 18. At that time, Sarah Brightman started 'missing performances' along with other cast members (one theater-goer said they attended a performance a few weeks ago, where it was all understudies for the main characters). News leaked out that Brightman has left the show due to the reviews she received and the horrible box office. 

The other day, Brightman  said on social media that she will be out indefinitely, due to a 'calf injury'. 

"I am so disappointed to not be on stage alongside the incredible Australian company of Sunset Boulevard," she wrote in a statement. "I am doing everything possible to recover quickly. unfortunately, it is taking longer than anticipated. This wonderful production continues to delight Melbourne audiences each night and I can’t wait to be back to perform as soon as I’m able.” 

On August 28, the show was supposed to move to Sydney. It's unclear if those plans are still in the works (many are betting it's canceled). 

Sarah Brightman Will Miss Performances of SUNSET BOULEVARD in Australia Due to Injury

I had heard she had missed a couple of weeks now. 

I don't quite get this casting, as she's vocally not a Norma.  I also think she's not up to performing 8x a week.

The touring she does involves a lot of vocal sweetening and some playback.  Singing Sunset would not.

Melbourne has also canceled the last week of scheduled performances.  Sydney's run is not selling tickets past the first couple of weeks in September. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Posted (edited)

He did become tiresome rather quickly. 

I liked the way he kept trying to push the hair out of his eyes, even though it never even reached his eyes.  Maybe he needed two little hair bows to keep his hair pinned back ?

Edited by Ali Gator