Pride and Pride Festivals

ICTJOCK

With the month of Pride coming to a close,   I was curious about experience here regarding those who have witnessed some great Pride events.

I know it varies from one city to another.     Some Pride festivities are fantastic,  other cities may have struggled a bit.    What did you all witness this year and anything positive and special with which you participated?

I have served on a number of non profit,  municipal and other boards,   Pride being one of them for a year.    It seemed the board had some infighting, but the result was good overall.     Thoughts?

5 hours ago, ICTJOCK said:

With the month of Pride coming to a close,   I was curious about experience here regarding those who have witnessed some great Pride events.

I know it varies from one city to another.     Some Pride festivities are fantastic,  other cities may have struggled a bit.    What did you all witness this year and anything positive and special with which you participated?

I have served on a number of non profit,  municipal and other boards,   Pride being one of them for a year.    It seemed the board had some infighting, but the result was good overall.     Thoughts?

Las Vegas' pride events are in October, when the daytime temperature drops below 100F.  The parade is held at night to take advantage of coolor evening weather.

NYC's Pride march was an absolute mess!  Violence and chaos.  And this article doesn't cover the attacks by the pro-Palestinian demonstrators.  Plus, many robberies of gay people by thugs!  A sign of our times.

NYPOST.COM

Multiple brawls and wild chaos engulfed Washington Square Park in the aftermath of New York City’s Pride Parade Sunday as police battled to control the unruly...

29 minutes ago, augustus said:

NYC's Pride march was an absolute mess!  Violence and chaos.  And this article doesn't cover the attacks by the pro-Palestinian demonstrators.  Plus, many robberies of gay people by thugs!  A sign of our times.

NYPOST.COM

Multiple brawls and wild chaos engulfed Washington Square Park in the aftermath of New York City’s Pride Parade Sunday as police battled to control the unruly...

This article by the right-wing NY Post says there was a pro-Palestinian protest at the Parade. That's it. 

There was some scuffles by young people who were probably drinking at Washington Square Park. It was not "violence and chaos." 

Pride related fighting and so on is nothing compared to what sports fans do even when they win. 

WWW.BBC.COM

Incidents of rioting and looting were reported in the city as fans celebrated historic Eagles' win.

3 hours ago, augustus said:

NYPOST.COM

what would Washington Square Park be without some "violence and chaos"?......hell, on my first visit there a couple years ago as a tourist, a fight broke out within minutes of my arrival (no, I wasn't involved).....all part of the local color.......move along, folks, nothing to see here.......

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

what would Washington Square Park be without some "violence and chaos"?

Yeah sure, UNLESS someone in the community gets their ass kicked by a straight person and then there are demonstrations and outrage.   Like the banker who punched the lesbian in the face in the Village after she attacked him FIRST a couple of weeks ago and now the banker gets arrested for assault.  Total BS.  Absolute hypocrites!!

Edited by augustus

For many a year, I would attend, and at times, either march or stand on the sidelines  in  Pride of the largest in this country: SAN FRANCISCO.  In 2016 and 2017 and perhaps 2018, I would be at a table at Pride Monterey, CA disseminating of materials that were related to my Civil Rights organization.  

After COVID had come to a slight halt, I participated in the Monterey, CA Pride in 2022 and 2023.  This year I was unable to participate, for I had another engagement.

In my looking back and reflecting, the experience was great and did me proud especially when the event is super-attended and the initial ambience is positive and relatively inclusive.

**During my last year of attending the San Francisco Pride March, I had to extricate myself, for I felt as if I were going to be crushed by the massive crowd of folks that attended the after-Pride March festivities that were held in the Civic Center area pre-COVID.  

There were so many folks assembled that bodies began to sway; I felt as if I were going to be crushed, so  I managed to escape and journeyed back to my friend's lodging in Oakland, CA.

I went to the NYC pride parade and I thought it was very fun. PrideFest was cute too. 

nyc pride is enormous compared to others with many things happening at the same time. If out of everything, you choose to follow the post take…probably would have found any other negative thing anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Xavitv said:

nyc pride is enormous compared to others with many things happening at the same time. If out of everything, you choose to follow the post take…probably would have found any other negative thing anyway. 

This was no small thing.  Thousands of low lifes rampaging.  I know a cop at the 6th precinct, and he said there were dozens of muggings.  Some of you might find this amusing until it happens to you.  

4 hours ago, Manhattan said:

We are finally as divided, unattractive, uncivilized, violent, and lacking in creativity as straight people. 

You obviously haven't been to the "Pride" Parade in NYC.

Every year, the event attracts hundreds of Lesbians who are so hideous you wonder where they hide themselves the rest of the year.

And yes...most of the fights at "Pride" do tend to be started by these monsters.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 12:01 PM, ICTJOCK said:

"Pride" in my city has been reduced to a pathetic march by a bunch of rather obnoxious and disrespectful people yelling at passersby.

That is the result of current infighting, but also a bunch of people deciding to cancel "Philly Gay Pride", which was the larger event. The old pride events did have some issues, and many non-profits and establishments that cater the community were not participating, but then there were protests about not being inclusive enough, so it got disbanded. The result is far from anything better than what it was.

The new committee was not only way above their heads, but were insanely unrealistic about what they think being inclusive and diverse is. The result is an event that the vast majority of people (leave alone city officials) prefer not to be associated with.

At a personal level, I don't like the way sometimes it feels hijacked by a bunch of people who are not interested in anything other than "partying with the gays", and with companies capitalizing. Just like Christmand and Thanksgiving, Pride has become commercialized. I don't feel represented anymore. That said, I'm not against its existence, especially considering that hate and homophobia are still alive and well. But I do feel that we have to take the reigns of pride and remind people why it exists in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by soloyo215

18 hours ago, augustus said:

Yeah sure, UNLESS someone in the community gets their ass kicked by a straight person and then there are demonstrations and outrage.   Like the banker who punched the lesbian in the face in the Village after she attacked him FIRST a couple of weeks ago and now the banker gets arrested for assault.  Total BS.  Absolute hypocrites!!

Citation needed. I can find no news article about this incident. 

But a lesbian couple was beaten by a group of ten men in Canada. 

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Emma MacLean, second from right, said she and her girlfriend, Tori, right, were attacked by a mob of about...

7 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

You obviously haven't been to the "Pride" Parade in NYC.

Every year, the event attracts hundreds of Lesbians who are so hideous you wonder where they hide themselves the rest of the year.

And yes...most of the fights at "Pride" do tend to be started by these monsters.

Your hatred of any queer person who isn't a muscle twink you want to screw is absolutely despicable. I've been going to Pride for over 30 years and have never seen lesbians start any violence. 

Men account for 86% of all assaults in the US, so it's unlikely that once a year, lesbians run amok. Of course, you hide behind an anonymous profile here 365 days a year while making racist, misogynistic and transphobic comments. So brave... 

2 minutes ago, augustus said:

That video from the NY Post says otherwise.  I'd call that running amok.

The NY Post is a right-wing anti-LGBTQ publication, so consider the source. A few fights breaking out when people have been drinking in a very crowded environment is not unusual. It's also much more common at sporting events than Pride marches. The only point of this article is to smear queer people. Check out MSG after a losing Lakers game, guys are knocking the shit out of each other. 

2 minutes ago, KensingtonHomo said:

The NY Post is a right-wing anti-LGBTQ publication, so consider the source. A few fights breaking out when people have been drinking in a very crowded environment is not unusual. It's also much more common at sporting events than Pride marches. The only point of this article is to smear queer people. Check out MSG after a losing Lakers game, guys are knocking the shit out of each other. 

I disagree.  They had a nice article about Lady Maga a couple of months ago.

12 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

So because you didn't personally witness this, it didn't happen 🤔?

The videos and photos show thousands of people being wild and violent and amazingly enough, to some people it didn't happen.  It's made up.   Talk about denial! It's fascinating when people refuse to recognize or acknowledge objective facts or experiences.