Demographics of users here

Casual

I wonder what the demographics of the users here are.  If you put us all in a conference room (can you imagine a conference like that, the topics, the activities 😅, the sponsors), what would that look like? 

28 minutes ago, 56harrisond said:

This literally happens each year, Annual Palm Springs Weekend. Next year is # 22. 

Yup. See y’all there! It’s a lot more fun than a conference room though. Hire til your heart is content. Then socialize with some good natured like minded guys by the pool. Or go for hikes, have good food, and relax. And late at night when the hot tub is a’ splashin’…join!

The forums are more diverse than you might think. Yes, plenty of older gentleman on the whole 55+, but those tend to also be the most active and vocal. There are plenty of men (besides providers) in their 20s, 30s, and 40s reading posts all the time and rarely or never participate. I know because some of them are my clients. Then you have some frequent participants in those younger age ranges too, but I would say, aside from providers, the younger men active in the forums are in the minority.

1 hour ago, Simon Suraci said:

The forums are more diverse than you might think. Yes, plenty of older gentleman on the whole 55+, but those tend to also be the most active and vocal. There are plenty of men (besides providers) in their 20s, 30s, and 40s reading posts all the time and rarely or never participate.

I can only speak for myself, but what Simon says is absolutely my history with the site. I've been hanging out here reading posts since the Neolithic Hooboy Era, but I only officially joined and starting posting myself 11 years ago when I was 46. I've been trying to remember what inspired me to make the leap, but I just can't. Was it a post I read? Did someone ask about a provider I'd hired? 

The overwhelming majority of forum fans (whether or not they log in), I think, are lurkers and we have no idea of who they are. About the active participants, I do not think our demographics are very diverse, and if we compare it against USA's, I do not think we are representative. Let me list a few variables, even when some of them are obvious (like women's under representation).

• Women are under represented
  • Men younger than 50 are under represented
  • Ethnic/racial minorities are under represented
  • Aliens are under represented
  • College graduates are over represented
  • White men are over represented
  • Gay men are over represented
  • Bi sexual men are under represented
  • Mid and Upper Middle class are over represented
  • Blue collar workers are under represented 
  • Closeted gays are under represented

Politics is perhaps where we are more  representative (of the US): not very diverse, and leaning towards the center-left (I am convinced the Right would never win national elections if voting were an obligation.). However, I do think Conservatives are under represented.

I am not sure about religion as it was not a very discussed topic, not even in the Politics Forum times. However, I have the impression that Christianism (putting together all its branches, including Catholics) may be over represented, and other religious groups under represented. I remember very few Jews, Agnostics, and Atheists. I cannot remember any Muslims or Hindus. 

Of course, I have no data to back any of these statements, feel free to correct my mistakes. I would say that we could be much more diverse than we are. 

On 7/12/2024 at 3:33 PM, José Soplanucas said:

The overwhelming majority of forum fans (whether or not they log in), I think, are lurkers and we have no idea of who they are. About the active participants, I do not think our demographics are very diverse, and if we compare it against USA's, I do not think we are representative. Let me list a few variables, even when some of them are obvious (like women's under representation).

• Women are under represented
  • Men younger than 50 are under represented
  • Ethnic/racial minorities are under represented
  • Aliens are under represented
  • College graduates are over represented
  • White men are over represented
  • Gay men are over represented
  • Bi sexual men are under represented
  • Mid and Upper Middle class are over represented
  • Blue collar workers are under represented 
  • Closeted gays are under represented

Politics is perhaps where we are more  representative (of the US): not very diverse, and leaning towards the center-left (I am convinced the Right would never win national elections if voting were an obligation.). However, I do think Conservatives are under represented.

I am not sure about religion as it was not a very discussed topic, not even in the Politics Forum times. However, I have the impression that Christianism (putting together all its branches, including Catholics) may be over represented, and other religious groups under represented. I remember very few Jews, Agnostics, and Atheists. I cannot remember any Muslims or Hindus. 

Of course, I have no data to back any of these statements, feel free to correct my mistakes. I would say that we could be much more diverse than we are. 

I think this is a fairly accurate portrayal of the demographics of forum members who are clients, the vast majority of the active participants. While we are mostly anonymous in our identities here(apart from those who participate in the annual events of get togethers) we give enough of our personas in the way we react to various topics to indicate our level of education, disposable income, and other indices of socio economic status. 

This is especially true of those who participate in the fora such as the Lounge and the others devoted to specific interests like travel, culture, health etc. 

A cross section of American(and Canadian) society would be quite different from that included here. 

Since I have been a member of the site for almost a quarter century, when the late Hooboy was the owner, and have attended almost every Palm Springs Weekend, I have a pretty good idea of who the regular posters are, but I couldn't say who reads it but doesn't participate. I suspect that there are a lot of providers among the latter, as well as occasional buyers. If we are only talking about those who are active on the site for any length of time, I would say that @Jose Soplanucas's analysis above is pretty accurate.

If you look at a cross section of the US.  East coast and West coast citizen are likely over represented.  However is you just consider gay men, this is a fairly representative group of gay and bisexual white men over 50 who have considerable disposable income.   In other words, no representative of the country or gay men in general.  As a guess, I would expect that dog owners are over represented.  

Edited by purplekow

On 7/12/2024 at 4:04 PM, samhexum said:

Stick your head in gravy, wash it out with bubblegum, and send it to the Navy.

Given your youth, I assume you won't get the reference.

I don't get the reference at all. What does the Navy have to do with this?