Toronto areas and hotels

6 minutes ago, PhileasFogg said:

and, is Hanlans Point Beach worth it and is it difficult to get to?

I've been to Hanlas Point Beach once.  The lake water is really cold, so you're going there just to sunbathe nude.  Take the ferry from Union Station.  It's a bit of a walk from the ferry drop-off to the beach, but not difficult (paved and flat).  There are few services (no food, and I can't remember any restroom facilities) near the beach.

It's worth going if the weather is particularly warm.

Update:   Since I'm rushing to book for a trip this weekend, I went ahead and booked Courtyard at 475 Yonge St since it looks close to some of the gay areas described above.   I had narrowed it down to that or The W but since we don't expect to spend a lot of time in the room, I opted for less $.

So, what do you recommend for entertainment for my friend and I?

We would like to visit the nude beach if the weather is good and it's a comfortable excursion.   Neither of us has been to Toronto and our friendship is relatively new.  Spas, restaurants, other activities?

On 7/16/2024 at 6:21 PM, Johnrom said:

Blue jays game.  Downtown restaurants are great cans you can walk to stadium.  Take trip to Niagara Falls. Amazing 🤩 to see ! 

Bozo's favourite hotel in Toronto is the Sheraton Centre. Perfect location. Across the street from Nathan Phillips Square and walking distance to the gay village on Church Street, the Theatre District, Dundas Square, and the Harbourfront. The Chelsea on Yonge Street and the Marriott are a couple of other good choices.

A day trip to Niagara Falls was the best part of Bozo's last visit to Toronto. A ride on the Maid-of-the-Mist is an experience that will be seared in your memory forever. And downtown Niagara Falls is a mini-Disneyland.

I agree about the Blue Jays. The Rogers Centre is a beautiful stadium sitting right alongside the Harbourfront.
The entertainment district also has a lot of theatres. Not quite Broadway. But almost. Try to see a play if you can.

Bozo also enjoyed the historic Distillery District. It's in the "old" part of Toronto with cobblestone streets. There are always interesting events going on there in the warmer months.

Finally, Bozo was VERY disappointed with the Cockbar. When he was there a year ago, the quality of the dancers was awful. Looked like kids they pulled in off the streets. Hopefully, things have improved. 
I do not understand why they turned the much larger Flash into a drag club and relegated the strippers to the much smaller Cockbar.

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

Here’s the plan as it’s coming together.  

friday - late arrival

saturday - Hanlan’s Point Beach.   Evening we will find someplace fun to hang out  and explore   

sunday - drive to Niagara Falls, probably eat lunch there - maybe Skylon Tower?  Is that worth it?

return to Toronto and find something fun to do

Monday is an evening departure, so it will be a day of exploration too

I’m renting a car so we have freedom

7 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

While it's really a Montreal thing, don't leave before eating your weight in Toronto smoked meat.

The deli scene there is *chef's kiss*

Smoked meat in Toronto!?! Which delis do you recommend? Don't think there are many downtown

Not a foodie at all, but I did try what I think are the "big three" foods while I was in Montreal a few years ago, which might translate to Toronto:  smoked meat sandwich (many US residents might consider it a pastrami), poutine, and bagels. All were fantastic. 

Update:  after an extra night due to cancelled flights, I’m home. 

Marriott Courtyard on Yonge St was quite sufficient and better than I expected.    I’m glad I chose this area over the financial district because of its relative liveliness and 24 hour vibe.   I also felt completely safe (no surprise)

Church St just wasn’t our scene but people watching such a diverse and eclectic crowd was enjoyable.  We did however consider attending a jock strap event at one of the bars…but couldn’t find a sporting goods store :)

Hanlan’s Point Beach - not what I expected (mostly clothed) but that didn’t stop us from eliminating tan lines in two visits there.  We opted for the water taxis to avoid crowds (C$25 each round trip)   We stayed out of the water due to e-coli warnings which were a complete un-Canadian surprise to us. 

Museums:   Bad planning in that I forgot that museums close on Monday and I didn’t get my art lovers fix.  Maybe next time.

Niagara Falls was spectacular.   I rented a Polestar for the weekend and the drive to the falls (the train schedule seemed inconvenient for our plans to sleep in).  I was quite surprised to see that Canadian EV infrastructure sucked as bad as the US’ and traffic was bad too.

General Observations:  drivers in Toronto were - surprisingly - as rude in bad traffic as anywhere in the states.  Uber/Lyft drivers were lunatics.   In our many walking tours of the areas between the hotel and the lake, I was shocked at the lack of decent dining options; everything seemed very cheap and low quality with limited gluten/dairy free options.  I love the Canadian currency but not its lack of denominations less than C$5.

Overall:  loved the city along with its open mindedness, diversity, and vibe  and would go again with more planning to experience completely   

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2024 at 2:30 PM, Nutella said:

For entertainment and hiring stay downtown, unless you are young or hung or muscled avoid hanlan's

I was surprised by a number of things at Hanlan’s:

1) how many clothed folks were there

2) how many average nude folks were there 

3) how many nude women were there

4) how many guys were boldly sneaking in to the woods for a quickie

Young and hung was a clear minority.  And, when I was there, it was 60/40 male/female

but, a retreat like Harlan in a dense urban area is a great thing. 

16 hours ago, PhileasFogg said:

Young and hung was a clear minority.  And, when I was there, it was 60/40 male/female

It's considered a nude beach....  Not a nude GAY beach. 

All walks of life included.

On 7/24/2024 at 7:51 AM, PhileasFogg said:

I was quite surprised to see that Canadian EV infrastructure sucked as bad as the US’ and traffic was bad too.

I’m surprised - maybe this is an Ontario thing?  Montreal has EV chargers for street parking spots downtown (or at least it does near the Convention Center where I usually stay). 

On 8/31/2024 at 5:21 AM, PhileasFogg said:

So you saw older guys getting it with younger guys when in the woods?

On 9/3/2024 at 1:26 AM, Colton said:

I’m surprised - maybe this is an Ontario thing?  Montreal has EV chargers for street parking spots downtown (or at least it does near the Convention Center where I usually stay). 

Absolutely an Ontario thing, where I live. The Rob Ford Conservatives put the brakes on all things environmental when they got into office 6 years ago. Actually reversed measures or eliminated incentives. 

You see the difference in Montreal where  EVs are everywhere and charging stations in many locations downtown where you park on the streets. Many Ubers are EVs too.