Hernia repair with Robbie the Robot

robear

So a week ago I had robotically-assisted laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair.  Gotta say I'm impressed!!  Post-op, nothing but the mildest discomfort.  I'm only taking naproxen and acetaminophen, as prescribed.  Except for a somewhat distended belly, and swelling and discoloration further down (the boys are huge, and a lovely shade of charcoal grey), I wouldn't know they'd done anything.  I'm avoiding the gym on principle, but otherwise can do pretty much everything.

The first surgeon I saw proposed an open approach, which would have left me with a 4" incision.  The outcome would have been the same, but he said recovery would take 4+ weeks, and require opioid painkillers.  As it happened, he fell ill and I was bounced to one of his colleagues who likes the new toys.

So I need a new knee next.  While it's a drastically different procedure, def looking for those "minimally-invasive, robotically-assisted" surgeons.

Edited by robear

1 hour ago, robear said:

So a week ago I had robotically-assisted laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair.  Gotta say I'm impressed!!  Post-op, nothing but the mildest discomfort.  I'm only taking naproxen and acetaminophen, as prescribed.  Except for a somewhat distended belly, and swelling and discoloration further down (the boys are huge, and a lovely shade of charcoal grey), I wouldn't know they'd done anything.  I'm avoiding the gym on principle, but otherwise can do pretty much everything.

The first surgeon I saw proposed an open approach, which would have left me with a 4" incision.  The outcome would have been the same, but he said recovery would take 4+ weeks, and require opioid painkillers.  As it happened, he fell ill and I was bounced to one of his colleagues who likes the new toys.

So I need a new knee next.  While it's a drastically different procedure, def looking for those "minimally-invasive, robotically-assisted" surgeons.

Gee whiz @robear with so many replacement parts…when do you start wearing a label “Made in Taiwan”? 😋

Jokes aside - glad you are doing better and yes, the new procedures are cutting edge and does lead to a much quicker recovery.