Emigrate for retirement?

JEC

18 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

When I retire, I will look to move to a state or country that is less susceptible to the growing Muslim infiltration.  Florida, Mexico, and a few countries in Europe (such as Austria) are on my list of places that I've visited, enjoy, and will consider moving to in 4 years.  As for Canada, only Quebec seems to be keeping their culture alive by mandating French be spoken at government meetings and schools.

If you decide on Quebec, you should consider Montreal as it is a little more anglophone friendly. And be prepared for the colder winters. 

19 hours ago, TruthBTold said:

I have been recently looking for some place to go to because America is going in the direction it is. xxxxx  Before the COVID onslaught Ecuador was always considered a retirement paradise, particularly the city of Cuenca.  Cuenca had mild temperatures pretty much all year round and the country's currency was equal to the American dollar.  When COVID devastated the country and general chaos erupted I gave up any plans to go there.  Now I am looking at Uruguay.  It is easy to get residency and the temperature is mild in most parts.  It is a very stable democracy and was the first Latin American country to recognize the right for homosexual relationships (and that was early in the 1930s).  I have to delve more into the country to make any decision.  Also, it is a ferry ride to Buenos Aires where a part of my family lives. 

Reference to a President removed. 

You may also want to check Chile. Chile and Uruguay are quite stable political and economic systems. I find both countries less fun and less diverse than Argentina and Brazil. But they are all very close and it would be easy to live and have your money safe in Chile or Uruguay while you travel for fun to their neighbor nations.

19 hours ago, Johnrom said:

I would recommend spending a couple months in a place before thinking about making that kind of major move overseas.  I have heard of both positive and negative experiences of folks who have done this.  And yes 🙌 definitely find a place that has some sort of expat community nearby.  

A couple of months? I would advise more time exploring and getting acquainted with potencial destinations. Moving to a place you have only researched on line or visited a few times is not a good idea.

Edited by José Soplanucas

11 hours ago, Johnrom said:

I really like the idea of living frugally in the USA and then enjoying really long trips and splurges to foreign places you love. Its the best of  both worlds !  

Thanks to teleworking you do not need to wait to retire for that. I am working with my employer on a plan for my next few years (in October I could go on early retirement and they do not want to lose me) where I will be working from abroad for increasing periods. This year, besides short trips, I will be in South American from mid nov to mid jan. My next contact would increase those 2 months to 4, and so on.

I am excited.

7 hours ago, BonVivant said:

One should also consider a good English language expat community of retirees, WFHs, “economic refugees”, etc.

Of course, you should do whatever fits you. However, when people make these plans I cannot help but think that they should stay at their original home if they do not want to learn the language and get integrated with their new home.

43 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

Thanks to teleworking you do not need to wait to retire for that. I am working with my employer on a plan for my next few years (in October I could go on early retirement and they do not want to lose me) where I will be working from abroad for increasing periods. This year, besides short trips, I will be in South American from mid nov to mid jan. My next contact would increase those 2 months to 4, and so on.

I am excited.

Varies widely with employers depending on what they do. If you work with data, there are generally restrictions on what countries you can go to and log in. I am allowed to work from anywhere in the US but otherwise only in countries where my company has a physical presence. 

Edited by sniper

2 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

Chile and Uruguay are quite stable political and economic systems.

I agree about Uruguay. I've traveled extensively and found the whole country to be full of happy residents because they live in a system that makes life fairly uncomplicated. A very strong social system that was originally condemned in the 60s as "bound to fail" for it's generous public welfare system. It seems to have weathered the test of time ( for now ). Cost of living is low and standards are reasonably high. It only lacks glamour, as the system does keep everything to the middle. The only glamor spot is Punta del Este where all the rich Brazilians hang out. I personally didn't find it to be a fabulous destination. Feels like one of those five-star outdoor shopping malls with all the usual glitzy brand names in the stores. But many others seem to love it there. Over all I had a very pleasant time, taking the bus from Montevideo and stopping in destinations all along the coastline to Chuy and met many very sweet people along the way. A very peaceful and pleasant country.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

1 hour ago, sniper said:

Varies widely with employers depending on what they do. If you work with data, there are generally restrictions on what countries you can go to and log in. I am allowed to work from anywhere in the US but otherwise only in countries where my company has a physical presence. 

Understood.

Well, depending on how important living abroad is for you, perhaps you can explore the job market for an option that allows you more international traveling.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

I agree about Uruguay. I've traveled extensively and found the whole country to be full of happy residents because they live in a system that makes life fairly uncomplicated.

Life quality is one of the highest in South America, and even living in Montevideo feels like being in an inside country small town. 

However, 

Cost of living is low and standards are reasonably high.

It is not low for the locals, the system would not work without the local strong welfare network. Currently. Beyond cost of living for the locals, Montevideo is currently the most expensive city in South America.

Punta del Este where all the rich Brazilians hang out. I personally didn't find it to be a fabulous destination. Feels like one of those five-star outdoor shopping malls with all the usual glitzy brand names in the stores

Not only rich Brazilians, but also Argentines and any rich foreigner in general visiting the country. Punta del Este used to be exclusive, but with time has become the destination for the tacky rich and the upper middle class people who like to pretend tp be rich. There are other smaller and less known beaches that are much more exclusive that Punta del Este. Check José Ignacio. If you are running from shopping centers and high end spas and hotels, check Cabo Polonio.

Not a beach, but I love spending quiet weekends in Colonia del Sacramento. By the way, Uruguayan parrilas are just as good as their Argentine and Brazilian competition.

Beyond the local attractions, as I mentioned before, Uruguay closeness to Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro is also a great plus that remediates potential boredom. 

Edited by José Soplanucas

1 hour ago, Medin said:

Wow.    I live in the Detroit area which has a massive Muslim population.   No issues of any kind.   Many of our gay bars in in predominately Muslim neighborhoods and there are never any problems.   In regards to all the immigrants we have from the Middle East...we are lucky to have them.   They work hard, maintain their homes, don't bother anyone  else, learn English, become well educated, don't commit crimes.....and these are the people you are afraid to live with?  You won't find nicer or more caring people.   I would have much more fear of living in a community full of "Christians" than I would a Muslim neighborhood.   

The difference is between practicing & secular Muslims.  Secular Muslims tend to be fairly liberal and in many cases left their home country to escape strict Islamic legal systems and culture.  Practicing Muslims tend to be a lot more conservative and often homophobic.  Sharia Muslims (an estimated 15% of Muslim immigrants to the US), yikes, don't get me started.

The all-Muslim city council of Hamtramck MI (just outside of Detroit) voted to ban all Pride flags on city property.  Muslim parents fought to ban some LGBT-themed books in Fairfax County VA and Dearborn MI.  Expect a lot more of this as Muslim immigration increases.

I agree with @Vegas_Millennial, I would never move to an area with a significant Muslim population.  Secular Muslims are often quite gay-friendly whereas Sharia Muslims believe I should be put to death just for being gay.  Unfortunately, you don’t get to pick & choose which one moves in next door.

Specific to this topic, I have given much thought to retiring in Spain.  I would never move to Barcelona because of Catalan, but a strong secondary issue is the city's flood of Muslim migrants.  Madrid has always been my goal, but I would knock it off the list as well if they opened the floodgates like la Ciudad Condal.

Back to topic, I wouldn't move too a Muslim country because all of them feel like alien cultures to me, beyond the predominant religion. I would not move to SE Asia, either, for the same reason.

As I said before, I want to live in a place where I feel integrated and belonging. I could live in many places in the Americas and Europe, and few places in the rest of the world.

Now, if you are looking for moving to be isolated from the rest of the hosting culture, interacting only with other expatriates, I am unsure whether or not living in a Muslim country should be out of consideration if you are wealthy. 

• Cooper locked this topic