Lou Dobbs has died

samhexum

So many different people are reflecting on different eras of his life, which is educational in a way, and a nice tribute.

When Bruce Willis dies, people will make references to "Die Hard" (I never watch action-adventure movies) and "Moonlighting" (I never watch hour-long television shows), but I'll always remember him best as the vocalist for the "Seagram's Golden Wine Cooler" jingle. Different Strokes....

On 7/20/2024 at 10:19 AM, WilliamM said:

Why ?

I don't see why you can't at least question things anymore. Especially when there's a reasonable degree of possibility that what you claim could be true.

That's what a journalist should be doing.

Not pumping out Corporate propaganda, like they do so much and so often today. 

On 7/20/2024 at 11:20 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Why ?

I don't see why you can't at least question things anymore. Especially when there's a reasonable degree of possibility that what you claim could be true.

Not pumping out Corporate propaganda, like they do so much and so often today. 

On 7/20/2024 at 11:20 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Why ?

Not pumping out Corporate propaganda, like they do so much and so often today. Copera

I have no response. 

Jeez 

11 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

As he got older, Lou Dobbs  engaged in  endless false conspiracy theories

One person's "conspiracy theory" is another person's inconvenient truth.

That term gets slung around too much as a way to discredit a mere difference of philosophical viewpoint.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

I remember years ago he mentioned he was actually 'very good friends' with Cher, and would get together with her for lunch or dinner whenever they were in the same town (I think at one time he did a lot of promotional tours for his TV shows and his books). 

Someone asked Cher about this in another interview, and she acknowledged he told the truth. Their friendship had started years ago when he was the business reporter on CNN, and she had called into his show with a question. She liked his style of answering her and then she asked for a private number to reach him, as she had other 'financial questions' to ask him.  From there, they became friends and he was her 'go to guy' for all business matters she had questions about. Last I heard him mentioned by her was a few years ago, in which she said despite their political differences, she thought he was a real cool guy - and continued to give her sound business advice. 

I wonder if she said anything public about his passing ? 

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

While I may agree with you and think the "quiet part out loud", listen to your mother. Your mother should know. Your mother should know. Type it again....

I am sorry but NO.

There are horrible horrible evil people (I am not specifically talking about Dobbs even if of course I reject with repulsion many of his political ideas) that when they die it's just a relief, and death doesn't redeem them.

History is FULL of them.

Edited by Italiano

28 minutes ago, Italiano said:

I am sorry but NO.

There are horrible horrible evil people (I am not specifically talking about Dobbs even if of course I reject with repulsion many of his political ideas) that when they die it's just a relief, and death doesn't redeem them.

History is FULL of them.

We can agree to disagree then. I just feel it makes more sense to type shit about people when they still have the ability to be impacted instead of waiting until it's (in my personal belief of no afterlife) too late. 

It's fine to be overjoyed when someone you can't stand isn't around. It's how I felt when Kirstie Alley passed. It should make one think twice about what people will have to say about them when it's their turn. A tombstone : Here lies so-and-so. He talked dirt about people when they were gone, and now he's in it.

4 hours ago, viewing ownly said:

It's fine to be overjoyed when someone you can't stand isn't around. It's how I felt when Kirstie Alley passed.

THANK YOU!!!  It's been so long since somebody set me up for a GOLDEN GIRLS quote:

Synopsis: Dorothy and Stan plan their wedding while Sophia still doesn’t approve; the girls welcome Truby to replace Dorothy as their roommate.

Truby: “My husband passed just last summer.”
Rose: “Passed what?”
Dorothy: “A slow-moving Winnebago, Rose.”

11 hours ago, samhexum said:

THANK YOU!!!  It's been so long since somebody set me up for a GOLDEN GIRLS quote:

Synopsis: Dorothy and Stan plan their wedding while Sophia still doesn’t approve; the girls welcome Truby to replace Dorothy as their roommate.

Truby: “My husband passed just last summer.”
Rose: “Passed what?”
Dorothy: “A slow-moving Winnebago, Rose.”

I have never watched that show so I am  a bit lost