mouthwash after oral sex - what's that?

It took me a few times when a massage took a fun turn with mouth action to realize that afterward, asking to be able to rinse out my mouth was something NOBODY was able to give me a hand with. Heading to a nearest drugstore, then finding the nearest public bathroom was not an ordeal I wanted to continue, so I now bring my own. 

It's wild how much germ-killing I'm feeling is going on when I'm swishing away (and brushing my tongue with toothpaste thoroughly as well) when cleaning up after the session is over. 

Why has germ-killing mouthwash become a generational product? I never thought that item would become "Oh, my grandpa has that stuff in his cabinet." I do notice that buying it is a plentiful choice, even with the newer introduced flavors. 

Just a heads up, a study was done on precisely this: whether using mouthwash after oral sex would help at preventing infections. The results were surprising : those that used mouthwash showed a higher (chance of) infection rate than those who did not use any type of mouthwash after oral sex.

The theory to explain this is that mouthwash kills indiscriminately so it also kills the good bacteria that would actually help prevent an infection should a bug be transmitted. 

That is a bizarre study to reach this kind of result. I just know that my mouth is generally on fire when I'm using it, giving me the feeling that nearly all germs are getting the heave-ho. Oh, and of course I throw that toothbrush completely away - but take it with me to do so. I don't, however, clean out the sink I've spit in with Clorox wipes - I value the time already allowing me to use their sink, I don't need to press the issue. 

That to me would be similar to someone developing a problem with a terrible allergic reaction to the substance used on the interior of a condom and encourage bareback sex instead to avoid that issue!

1 hour ago, Wolfer said:

Just a heads up, a study was done on precisely this: whether using mouthwash after oral sex would help at preventing infections. The results were surprising : those that used mouthwash showed a higher (chance of) infection rate than those who did not use any type of mouthwash after oral sex.

The theory to explain this is that mouthwash kills indiscriminately so it also kills the good bacteria that would actually help prevent an infection should a bug be transmitted. 

If it’s the Belgian (N=151) cross-over study of mouthwash timed appropriately in Lancet ID, I’ve seen it misinterpreted in attempts to summarize it. The odds ratio supports the finding of no difference, not a deleterious effect. The site of infection is not stratified (oropharyngeal, rectal, urethral). As with most MSM studies what is alarming is the extremely high STI rate among PrEP users.

A reference to it indicates a subset of GC analyzed but it is omitted from the abstract and I cannot currently access the full Belgian paper.

A second study from Australia analyzes a subset of mouthwash use at time of oral sex and found no difference. 

While it seems doubtful that antiseptic mouthwash is effective against the Big3 overall, it remains to be seen whether it may reduce oropharyngeal GC infection; mixed results thus far and a RCT for it specifically and with sufficient statistical power would be a challenge to design and execute.

[updated from 15 minutes previous version]

Edited by SirBillybob

Years ago when starting this hobby I inquired about this at Gay City in Seattle (testing, education center).  The counselor said that taking cum was relatively low risk - apparently the bacteria in the mouth is not cum-friendly.  Probably more likely to get gonorrhea of the throat from giving head and I don't believe mouthwash will help with that.  

32 minutes ago, SirBillybob said:

If it’s the Belgian (N=151) cross-over study in Lancet ID, I’ve seen it misinterpreted in attempts to summarize it. 

True, reading the summary made by the researchers themselves they say there's basically no difference between incidences with or without mouthwash. So using mouthwash right after has no use. 

33 minutes ago, SirBillybob said:

As with most MSM studies what is alarming is the extremely high STI rate among PrEP users.

"Alarming" isn't really an objective term, given that the rest of your post is focused on using objective facts. Also, where do you get the "extremely high" from? STI infections have been (steadily) rising across the board, including in heterosexual populations for years now. Extremely high in comparison to what?

6 minutes ago, Act25 said:

Years ago when starting this hobby I inquired about this at Gay City in Seattle (testing, education center).  The counselor said that taking cum was relatively low risk - apparently the bacteria in the mouth is not cum-friendly.  Probably more likely to get gonorrhea of the throat from giving head and I don't believe mouthwash will help with that.  

I was always told swallowing is technically saver than spitting, unless you immediately spit it out, which I've never seen a guy do... They all go to the sink. The professionals say that it's that extra bit of time that makes spitting potentially a bit more unsafe than swallowing. So I just always swallow 😇

28 minutes ago, Wolfer said:

"Alarming" isn't really an objective term, given that the rest of your post is focused on using objective facts. Also, where do you get the "extremely high" from? STI infections have been (steadily) rising across the board, including in heterosexual populations for years now. Extremely high in comparison to what?

You are right; it is subjective. Each person must decide their threshold of concern according to rates per person-years.

We should take rising incidence rates along with antimicrobial resistance in stride, and these apply to the entire sexually active population. Population rates do govern personal prophylaxis decision-making. Show me media articles that do not routinely use ‘on the rise’ language. 

That said, gonorrhea rates are considerably higher compared to other STI. For me, the lowest common denominator for aggregate STI protection decision-making is the STI with the highest and most increasing rate in tandem with AMR developments. When I gargled following receptive oral, GC was front of mind. Recently, I began using condoms but I’ve never found condoms as impeding as offers understandably do.

Edited by SirBillybob

Here’s my n=1 study.

In my whore youth, I noticed that rinsing frequently with mouthwash while visiting bathhouses significantly reduced my incidence of sore throat/URIs. I used condoms for anal. Never for oral. Kissed like a banshee. And never had oral GC that I know of. Take the for what it’s worth. And yes, I still use mouthwash before and after sex. It just seems wise to do so. 

Truth.  

A gargle with some mouthwash (and or peroxide), doesn’t hurt for just getting rid of general bacteria from oral “activities”.

i don’t know if these things work for mitigating STD transmission, but I’ll just say that I’ve never had an oral STD, and have been using mouthwash & peroxide after every oral encounter, since 1997.

I also think that overall good dental hygiene must be maintained too (outside of post sex activities).

Many people are susceptible to oral STDs because they have poor oral hygiene overall.  

Plus, who wants to walk around with post-fun dick (ball & ass) breath? 

Edited by Monarchy79

7 hours ago, viewing ownly said:

Why has germ-killing mouthwash become a generational product?

7 hours ago, Wolfer said:

The results were surprising : those that used mouthwash showed a higher (chance of) infection rate than those who did not use any type of mouthwash after oral sex.

5 hours ago, Act25 said:

4 hours ago, wanderlust307 said:

My dentist advised me not to use mouthwash. Not after bj, but in general.

I don't use mouthwash after sex.  I don't even shower after sex.  I want to enjoy the taste and feel of a guy's cum on my mouth and on my body for as long as I can.

However, I do use mouthwash BEFORE a second guy comes over, to remove the taste of the first guy's ass and penis from my mouth in case the new guy wants to kiss. 😘 

3 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I don't use mouthwash after sex.  I don't even shower after sex.  I want to enjoy the taste and feel of a guy's cum on my mouth and on my body for as long as I can.

However, I do use mouthwash BEFORE a second guy comes over, to remove the taste of the first guy's ass and penis from my mouth in case the new guy wants to kiss. 😘 

Do you take a shower before the second guy comes over? 

4 hours ago, DrownedBoy said:

I don't know the studies, but when I was a little slut, they kept saying that flossing/brushing/mouthwash all increased the chances of oral infection. But HIV was a lot more scary 25 years ago. 

Now I see why they make mint flavored condoms...

Possibly because the flossing and brushing would irritate the gums and make them more sensitive/open to infiltration.  I can’t fathom what harm mouthwash could do, though!

On 7/26/2024 at 9:17 AM, Wolfer said:

Mouthwash, especially harsher ones like Listerine, also cause more inflammation on existing micro-cuts in the mouth, as well as on gums.

I was always advised NOT to use it before or after oral sex, especially if you're going to swallow.

Rinse with water or with a non-alcohol based mouthwash.  

6 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I have never showered with mouthwash.

You know what I’m meant… LOL

What I was asking was this: 

Once you’ve finished sex with the first guy, do you shower before sex with the next guy…. Your posting led me to believe that you may not. 

On 7/26/2024 at 10:35 AM, SirBillybob said:

If it’s the Belgian (N=151) cross-over study of mouthwash timed appropriately in Lancet ID, I’ve seen it misinterpreted in attempts to summarize it. The odds ratio supports the finding of no difference, not a deleterious effect. The site of infection is not stratified (oropharyngeal, rectal, urethral). 

Ohhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyy

are we allowed to talk so dirty in this forum?? :) :)