Puffy eyes and Dark Circles

Lately I’ve noticed increasingly puffy eyes with dark circles.  This presumably ties in with recent cataract removal and introduction of contact lenses to fine tune my vision.  In general, I have terrible allergies.   Otherwise,  I generally drink plenty of water, get facials periodically, and maintain healthy diet and exercise.  I’m 60 and retired with a very active lifestyle, so stress isn’t it.

What products or routines have some of you had experience with to minimize this problem?

Filler can help with dark circles but it’s temporary. Ablative laser can lessen them too. You won’t be able to go outside for a couple of weeks while it heals (no sun exposure allowed and you’ll look like shit anyway). A lower bleph would be a drastic measure for dark circles but if you have bags under your eyes that’s what will make the difference. I see people who have had that procedure all the time. So obvious that they’ve had work done. It gives the eyes a more feminine appearance and they can look “pulled” not because the surgeon isn’t skilled but rather due to the nature of the procedure. 

1 hour ago, Bokomaru said:

Filler can help with dark circles but it’s temporary. Ablative laser can lessen them too. You won’t be able to go outside for a couple of weeks while it heals (no sun exposure allowed and you’ll look like shit anyway). A lower bleph would be a drastic measure for dark circles but if you have bags under your eyes that’s what will make the difference. I see people who have had that procedure all the time. So obvious that they’ve had work done. It gives the eyes a more feminine appearance and they can look “pulled” not because the surgeon isn’t skilled but rather due to the nature of the procedure. 

Filler will work as long as the HA is present sub-dermal.  That's 9-15 months per treatment.

I've seen plenty of upper/lower blephs on men that haven't looked pulled or feminine. 

9 minutes ago, PhileasFogg said:

Update:  despite my skepticism, I ordered some caffeine cream.   Instructions were to cleanse and moisturize before applying the cream.  I did and the puffiness INCREASED!   I am beginning to wonder if I’m hydrating enough.  

I am sorry for suggesting the caffeine cream. You never know with cosmetics... Also  its so little they can do, specially compared to the promises. This is why in the last few years I am barely using any apart from sunscreen and cleanser. 

Edited by wanderlust307

1 hour ago, wanderlust307 said:

I am sorry for suggesting the caffeine cream. You never know with cosmetics... Also  it’s so little they can do, specially compared to the promises. This is why in the last few years I am barely using any apart from sunscreen and cleanser. 

Please no!  I appreciate the recommendation.  I’ll stick with it for a bit to see if the benefit is cumulative 

You may want to try injectable skin boosters like profhilo and karisma. I am not sure which one works for dark circles. There are hundreds out there, go see your dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Edited by wanderlust307

14 hours ago, PhileasFogg said:

Update:  despite my skepticism, I ordered some caffeine cream.   Instructions were to cleanse and moisturize before applying the cream.  I did and the puffiness INCREASED!   I am beginning to wonder if I’m hydrating enough.  

Inflammation is commonly caused by diet and lack of hydration, so yep...  Drink more water.

Stay away from alcohol if you can.

You may have very sensitive skin that's inflamed by certain topicals.  Under-eye is especially thin and concerning.

20 hours ago, PhileasFogg said:

Cleanse and moisturise is always in the instructions to sell more. I don't think you need extra moisturiser, I am sure the caffeine cream has enough moisturisers. As for cleanse, once in the evening to remove sunscreen is enough. 

11 hours ago, wanderlust307 said:

A hemorrhoids cream for the eyes? 🤣

Ah, this old remedy.  I've been about Prep H by multiple friends who practice skincare 'hacks'

But I've also had several dermatologists tell me it's not the right consistency, irritating for this particular skin and not to be used under eye or under the brow bone.

YMMV.

3 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Ah, this old remedy.  I've been about Prep H by multiple friends who practice skincare 'hacks'

But I've also had several dermatologists tell me it's not the right consistency, irritating for this particular skin and not to be used under eye or under the brow bone.

YMMV.

I would say there is only one place for a hemorrhoids cream 😂

Preparation h is just cortisone which is commonly used for inflammation. I can personally attest to it’s effectiveness but not a long term solution. Hydration, rest, using frozen eye masks and cucumbers, good shades… they all help to some degree and combined they make a huge difference 

1 hour ago, hungry4darkmeat said:

Preparation h is just cortisone which is commonly used for inflammation. I can personally attest to its effectiveness but not a long term solution. Hydration, rest, using frozen eye masks and cucumbers, good shades… they all help to some degree and combined they make a huge difference 

Prep H also has norepinephrine which is a constrictor of blood vessels.

2 hours ago, NJF said:

Prep H also has norepinephrine which is a constrictor of blood vessels.

No it doesn’t.

It contains Phenylephrine HCl, 0.25%.
Brand name Neosynephrine.
Maybe you got the names confused?

5 hours ago, hungry4darkmeat said:

Preparation h is just cortisone which is commonly used for inflammation. I can personally attest to it’s effectiveness but not a long term solution. Hydration, rest, using frozen eye masks and cucumbers, good shades… they all help to some degree and combined they make a huge difference 

I read about cucumbers when I was young and stupid. Tried it and got a bad infection. Since then I stay away from old natural remedies. Stick to chemistry.

One thing that can cover dark circles is color. Optical diffusers as they call it in cosmetics. I am using "Heliocare Age Active fluid" from Cantabria Labs in Spain and I strongly recommend it. Excellent sunscreen, moisturiser and probably covers the dark circles (I don't have any so I don't know for sure).