Chicago Market Days

I might have the opportunity to be Chicago next week and am thinking about stretching my visit into the weekend to attend Market Days.  Having never gone before, I’m wondering what advice you guys can give me:  should I bother going and is it worth it?  What’s it like, and what do people do? What should I wear?  Anything you can provide would be helpful - thanks!

Thanks, Lucky.  I’d still love some first-hand impressions of the event.  I mean - I’m not a kid anymore; will it still be fun for a guy just past 60?  Might I be able to meet some cute young thing and, well….YKWIM.

Like others it’s been a few years since I’ve gone.  Market Days is a typical chicago street festival.  There’s booths selling various goods - pride affiliated items, clothes, undies, art pieces, pretty much something for everyone.  Food and drinks from local bars and restaurants. Political organizations, tourist boards like Key West I recall one year.  Steamworks usually has some events setup in front of their place.  Same with the bars along Halsted.  The lifeguard stand with some muscled hottie. Some Go go dancers in front of others.  They also have some music acts throughout the weekend as well.  If you know anyone in Boystown or make friends with folks usually there will be some off street house parties going on.  
It’s all ages and all sizes.  It’s been trending a bit more family friendly as the years have gone by as well.  

In the late evening though, they have had some cases with kids causing some trouble these days so keep your wits about you. Not like beating anyone up, but just mass group of late teens/young adults being stupid and acting tough.  

I used to bring my boat up to Belmont harbor and used it as camper for the weekend.  Venture into the MarketDays crowds and then get my “people”ing quota in and miss the relative calm of the marina.  :)   

Now it’s just a case when I don’t want to venture into the city, find parking, walk there, no real place to take a break, then just to walk back, venture back out to the burbs.  Plus usually day drinking is involved least in my younger days. LOL and yeah, Chicagoans will drink and drink and drink some more.  As one of the coast friends mentions about chicago, you guys don’t really have as bad of a drug problem in your nightlife, but damn you guys turn drinking into an Olympic sport.  

If you’re taking public transportation or an Uber and you’re already in the city, you might as well stick around for it.  Worst case scenario, you find it’s not your thing and you do something else chicago has to offer.   

If you're in chicago anyway, I'd just stay an go.   

I use to go every year, but last couple years acts haven't been that good, but I'm going this year just to see Billy Porter.    I'm doing that Saturday morning train and planning on seeing Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil mateinee and then going to see Billy and then Sunday will check out the vendor areas on the street and see the Abba Tribute band which is great if you love Abba.

The boyztown bars are packed but they have alcohol on the street for sale during the festival times.    I love Showtunes Sunday at Sidetrack and the bartender Tommy in the fishbowl area pours very strong.     I'll probably head down to Marty's instead both nights for drinks instead of hanging out in Boytztown.

When Orbitz started their gay travel site in 2004, I entered a raffle for airline tickets to two, and won and used them to go to Spain, so that more than paid for the trip that year:)

3 hours ago, curt gregory said:

This is helpful, Beamer, thanks.  I was picturing some sort of Folsom Street scene, and it sounds like Market Days is a lot more wholesome than that!

You will most likely not see anything more than a very very rare occasional butt cheek.  Steamworks and the Go gos on the street likely won’t show anything more than speedos.

It’s a fun time for people watching and hitting the occasional music act.  If you are looking for a place to sit and rest out of the sun the bars are open.  Sidetrack is the video bar and always good for a frozen cocktail.  Lucky Horseshoe is my go go /stripper bar hang out from back when I used to go out much more regularly.  It became my gay Cheers for a little while.   

16 hours ago, BeamerBikes said:

...LOL and yeah, Chicagoans will drink and drink and drink some more.  As one of the coast friends mentions about chicago, you guys don’t really have as bad of a drug problem in your nightlife, but damn you guys turn drinking into an Olympic sport.  ..."

I always say Chicagoans love to eat, drink, and fuck. One of the things I miss since moving away.

8 hours ago, curt gregory said:

This is helpful, Beamer, thanks.  I was picturing some sort of Folsom Street scene, and it sounds like Market Days is a lot more wholesome than that!

I wouldn't call it "wholesome," but it isn't Folsom Street. If you want that, go to IML and hang out in the hotel stairways. 

On 7/30/2024 at 7:48 AM, curt gregory said:

I might have the opportunity to be Chicago next week and am thinking about stretching my visit into the weekend to attend Market Days.  Having never gone before, I’m wondering what advice you guys can give me:  should I bother going and is it worth it?  What’s it like, and what do people do? What should I wear?  Anything you can provide would be helpful - thanks!

I went for the first time last year and I’m going again this year. It’s a very large event with LOTS of people.  even more than the official pride event that took place in June. I’d say if you go don’t show up until after 4pm simply because it can get HOT during the day and the heat might make you exhausted. It’s definitely not an open air sex event like Dore Alley in SF. Nothing like that at all but everyone is very friendly and open.  You won’t see outright nudity but definitely feel free to wear something skimpy if you like. It’s like a huge block party, only it’s a half a mile long. Lots of vendors selling everything from cute things for your home to dildos lol.  

They crowd and the vibe is very friendly and there’s none of that stuck up attitude or out right discrimination you might get in West Hollywood. I’m 44 non-white and in decent shape and the Chicago gays have ALWAYS been fun and friendly to me. 

WATCH OUT FOR PICK POCKETS!!!