I Shower Once a Week. Here's Why You Should Too.

2 hours ago, RuralDaddyBear said:

I never heard of "The Guardian" before, until a like-minded Buddy tagged me about this article on Facebook. That's the great thing about the Internet; I can read articles from anywhere in the World.

Why I picture you in your garden in Surrey having cucumber sandwiches and typing here? 

5 hours ago, wanderlust307 said:

Why I picture you in your garden in Surrey having cucumber sandwiches and typing here? 

Nope! Raised in Pennsylvania and now reside North Carolina, but I do subscribe to BritBox for the excellent murder mysteries.

7 hours ago, nycman said:

No.

Honestly, I’d live in the shower if I could. Every boyfriend has quickly learned not to speak to me in the morning until after I’ve showered. Then I’m human. Before? Not so much. I’d say I shower a minimum of 3 times a day. Yes, I’m the weirdo who showers before and after a work out. I also shower before bed, if I have the energy. It’s not really a clean/dirty thing. I just enjoy taking a shower. And if you don’t like having sex in the shower, I’m probably not the guy for you.

Dexters Laboratory Loop GIF

That's how I feel about skinny-dipping in lake. A good Buddy of mine has a cabin with private lake-front access on a secluded cove. Perfect for skinny-dipping. I can lie in that still cool water for hours.

6 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

My family are Pennsylvania Deitch...and my relatives live amongst the Mennonite farming community. (I grew up in a small city nearby). Saturday night was bath night. I guess when there's no drinking or gambling allowed a hot bath was your highlight of the week. 🤣.

That said...my parents only used this model for us when we were children. You of course washed thoroughly (pits and package) with soap and water before bed every night. As we got older ..by my teens I bathed every other day.

I follow this model to this day unless I'm engaged in some outdoor activity (hiking, gardening or sport) and I'm all sweaty. I agree Americans use too much soap and wayyy too much shampoo. I shampoo my hair once a week. In-between I just rinse. I use a charcoal deodorant for underarms that works very well to prevent any body odor.

Your natural body oils are an important part of keeping your skin healthy. Washing it away constantly is going to dry it out which . But beauty product companies WANT you to have this problem so they can sell you a bunch of moisturizer that you would otherwise not need, on top of all the extra body wash and shampoo you're buying.

I was born and raised in Lancaster County, Bart Township. My maternal grandmother was former Amish. LOL! No! There was no drinking and gambling on Saturday night or any other night. I think in some ways our Old Order Mennonite community was stricter than some of the New Order Amish. We were just allowed to have electric service in the house and drive motor-vehicles. No TV. No radios. No comic books. (Yes, I had a hidden stash!) I went to to a private Mennonite school up to 8th grade, then I went to the public High School for 9 thru 12. My best friend in High School was "English" (which my grandparents didn't approve of) and we used to steal beer out of his Dad's garage, and I paid the price for coming home drunk late one night when I was 16! Yep, I'm still doing the once a week soapy shower and doing a quick wash with plain water out of the sink through the week. Fortunately, I have no close neighbors so I can hose down outside and air-dry off. 80 degrees out right now with a nice breeze, and I'm naked on the back patio enjoying a beer.

6 hours ago, Redwine56 said:

I'm thinking how much you must save on laundry as well.  No underwear, no bath towels.  Although going commando as a truck driver does sound hot, the pants must have an odor.  

I do have bath towels, but at the most I'll use one towel a week. No, I don't have much laundry at the end of the week. Yes, the seat of my jeans have a manly scent by the end of the week. I don't have a bidet, but I do hose my ass off in the Summer. I discovered flushable wipes during the pandemic. I don't use them all the time but keep them for when needed. Like Taco Night at the bar, LOL!

6 hours ago, wanderlust307 said:

I salute your eco conscience. No underwear, less water waste for growing and producing cotton. And you turned the burdensome change of socks to a seasonal thing. Kudos! Do you observe four seasons or two?

LOL! Actually, working on a farm you do think in terms of working through two seasons: planting and harvest. You reminded me of my maternal grandfather. He told me that when he was a child (1910s) the family would bathe right before Christmas, and not bathe again till right before Easter Sunday. I might actually try that after I retire in a couple years!

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

A bidet is a must when you're not showering daily.

I've been mulling over the Clear Rear Bidet attachment. It would be handy in the Winter, and for my "guests".

1 hour ago, nycman said:

And in the Winter…….?

Well, I have to admit that it's during the Winter that my butt hygiene is probably the worst. I do buy flushable wipes occasionally. 

I took a prescription drug for awhile that made my skin extremely dry - so dry that I cut back to showering once a week.  I washed my face and shaved, did a PTA bath and rubbed Neutrogena oil into my skin with a damp washcloth every day.  I sort of looked forward to the ritual every morning, but I was glad when I was able to stop.

I’ll also add that my personal addiction to showering, an intense hygiene routine is not only that it feels good, but because of the positive responses I get from people i interact with…. Complete strangers.  
at work, abd in piboic, it’s always a confidence booster getting compliments from others. 

Also, in the other forum threads regarding experiences with masseurs, I know for a fact that my luck with “mileage”, is highly contributed to being squeaky clean and smelling fantastic. 

However, I do recognize and respect that the “musk” developed from the OP’s hygiene routine gets him lots of mileage, depending on the environment, and social circumstances. 😈👃🏾

I spent four years in Lancaster County, and I never noticed any unpleasant odor when I was around the natives.

I don't have any regular schedule for bathing. I shower whenever I feel uncomfortably dirty or sweaty (such as after playing tennis for a couple of hours in summer sun), or when I anticipate a social situation in which someone might notice an odor of which I am unaware. I enjoy taking showers, but I don't feel any need to waste water on them when I don't feel I need one. My only obsessive behavior is that I don't like to put clean clothes on unclean skin.

14 hours ago, Charlie said:

I spent four years in Lancaster County, and I never noticed any unpleasant odor when I was around the natives.

We DO wash-up before bed time.

Many homes in the area don't HAVE showers. Just a bathtub...so wash-cloths (which a lot of Americans don't even OWN) are more common.

On 8/15/2024 at 11:10 AM, wanderlust307 said:

On 8/15/2024 at 11:10 AM, wanderlust307 said:

On 8/18/2024 at 5:54 AM, pubic_assistance said:

We DO wash-up before bed time.

Many homes in the area don't HAVE showers. Just a bathtub...so wash-cloths (which a lot of Americans don't even OWN) are more common.

I have never understood how anybody can feel clean without a washcloth.   I take showers, but I squirt body wash into the washcloth to lather up.  If I don't use a washcloth, I start to get acne.

50 minutes ago, wanderlust307 said:

Washcloths are prime breeding ground for bacteria. Ask your dermatologist. There are other ways to exfoliate.

My dermatologist recommends I use a washcloth when I bathe.  This prevents the spread of bacteria from the body directly to the bar of soap, as the bar of soap only comes in contact with a clean washcloth once when building up soap lather.  Of course, washcloths are laundered after each use. 

Alternatively, liquid/gel soap  prevents the spread of bacteria from the body into the soap.  But, liquid/gel soap comes at much higher environmental costs than bar soap.  Environmental costs associated with liquid/gel soap  include plastic bottle packaging and transportation of larger volumes of product (liquid/gel soap mostly water and takes more space to ship than bar soap).

Edited by Vegas_Millennial
Included "gel" soap when referring to "liquid" soap