I Shower Once a Week. Here's Why You Should Too.

1 minute ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

My dermatologist recommends I use a washcloth when I bathe.  This prevents the spread of bacteria from the body directly to the bar of soap, as the bar of soap only comes in contact with a clean washcloth once when building up soap lather.  Of course, washcloths are laundered after each use. 

Alternatively, liquid soap prevents the spread of bacteria from the body into the soap.  But, liquid soap comes at much higher environmental costs than bar soap.  Environmental costs associated with liquid soap include plastic bottle packaging and transportation of larger volumes of product (liquid soap is mostly water and takes more space to ship than bar soap).

I use only shower gel. It's been ages since the last time I saw a bar of soap.

8 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

My dermatologist recommends I use a washcloth when I bathe.  This prevents the spread of bacteria from the body directly to the bar of soap, as the bar of soap only comes in contact with a clean washcloth once when building up soap lather.  Of course, washcloths are laundered after each use. 

Alternatively, liquid/gel soap  prevents the spread of bacteria from the body into the soap.  But, liquid/gel soap comes at much higher environmental costs than bar soap.  Environmental costs associated with liquid/gel soap  include plastic bottle packaging and transportation of larger volumes of product (liquid/gel soap mostly water and takes more space to ship than bar soap).

Thanks for pointing that out.  We're really trying to cut way back on the single-use plastic.  AVEDA used to have a wonderful bar soap but they stopped manufacturing it.

10 hours ago, wanderlust307 said:

Washcloths are prime breeding ground for bacteria. Ask your dermatologist. There are other ways to exfoliate.

This is not true. 

Bacteria is usually killed by the combination of warm water and soap, which is usually paired with wash clothes when showering. 

I’m a lifelong washcloth user, with no acne, no rashes, and smooth, clear skin. 

Edited by Monarchy79

33 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

This is not true. 

Bacteria is usually killed by the combination of warm water and soap, which is usually paired with wash clothes when showering. 

I’m a lifelong washcloth user, with no acne, no rashes, and smooth, clear skin. 

Could it be that you have no acne, no rashes, and smooth, clear skin, despite being a lifelong washcloth user? 😅

Seriously, ask your dermatologist. I remember years ago I had a skin condition and the first thing he told me is to get rid of sponge, body brush, nail brush... everything except my bare hands. 

5 hours ago, wanderlust307 said:

Could it be that you have no acne, no rashes, and smooth, clear skin, despite being a lifelong washcloth user? 😅

Seriously, ask your dermatologist. I remember years ago I had a skin condition and the first thing he told me is to get rid of sponge, body brush, nail brush... everything except my bare hands. 

I’m not disagreeing with you. 
I’m saying that your Dermatologist is incorrect. 

I’ve had two Dermatologists in my life. About three years ago, I had this discussion with my current one.

They acknowledged that some Other Derms have made claims that washcloths are bad. They stated this:

1.) Think about when you wash your dishes or your car manually? Do you use your bare hands to get those items clean? No. You use a rag, or cleaning material with a cleanser or soap. And it doesn’t compromise the materials of the items you’re cleansing. The same concept goes with this skin. 

2.) Sponges, cloths etc. can hold bacteria, when used in the long term and not cleaned or replaced. But using them and then cleaning them, and letting them dry allows the bacteria to die. Plus, most of the bacteria washes away with the soap and warm water. 

3.) Using bare hands for bathing rubs soap on the skin, but doesn’t clean thoroughly enough for layers of skin throughout the body. This can result in build up of oil, sebum, resulting in blackheads, accumulation of dead skin (due to the lack of exfoliation), etc. plus, washing the underarms, pubic area, butt and areas that grow body hair that can attract lice, mites, and odor are more effectively cleansed with a cleaning tool of some sort. 

No judgment either way, but I’ll also recommend trying a nice washcloth one day with a nice soap, following up with some good moisturizers … you’re skin will feeel great and so will you. 

7 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

I’m not disagreeing with you. 
I’m saying that your Dermatologist is incorrect. 

I’ve had two Dermatologists in my life. About three years ago, I had this discussion with my current one.

They acknowledged that some Other Derms have made claims that washcloths are bad. They stated this:

1.) Think about when you wash your dishes or your car manually? Do you use your bare hands to get those items clean? No. You use a rag, or cleaning material with a cleanser or soap. And it doesn’t compromise the materials of the items you’re cleansing. The same concept goes with this skin. 

2.) Sponges, cloths etc. can hold bacteria, when used in the long term and not cleaned or replaced. But using them and then cleaning them, and letting them dry allows the bacteria to die. Plus, most of the bacteria washes away with the soap and warm water. 

3.) Using bare hands for bathing rubs soap on the skin, but doesn’t clean thoroughly enough for layers of skin throughout the body. This can result in build up of oil, sebum, resulting in blackheads, accumulation of dead skin (due to the lack of exfoliation), etc. plus, washing the underarms, pubic area, butt and areas that grow body hair that can attract lice, mites, and odor are more effectively cleansed with a cleaning tool of some sort. 

No judgment either way, but I’ll also recommend trying a nice washcloth one day with a nice soap, following up with some good moisturizers … you’re skin will feeel great and so will you. 

Thank you. Always good to hear different views.

By the way for exfoliation you may want to try an acid. The Ordinary has a good and ultra cheap glycolic acid that I use on the body. Have a look at it.

25 minutes ago, wanderlust307 said:

Thank you. Always good to hear different views.

By the way for exfoliation you may want to try an acid. The Ordinary has a good and ultra cheap glycolic acid that I use on the body. Have a look at it.

Always welcome 🤗 

We have more in common than you may think. 

I have that same product, and use it weekly. 

The Ordinary is a great line with fantastic prices. 

Hygiene preferences for one’s own body are personal. Mine have changed a bit over time, with exfoliation increasing as the natural shedding process slows with age, and more attention to cleaning gums and teeth. 

Hygiene preferences for one’s partner may conflict with the partner’s own personal standards for cleanliness, which is why some boldly proclaim theirs. 

My work often involved very close proximity to others, enforcing habits that reduced possibilities of body and breath odor from me. But I also encountered a huge range of self-care evidenced in others. In the early 90’s, Russian opera singers and ballet dancers began performing in the US, and between vodka, cigarettes, severe BO and hair that was washed monthly, it was a challenge to be close for long. (And when I had to take a curling iron to that dirty hair, my arms couldn’t get long enough…)