US is not the world

wanderlust307

10 hours ago, PhileasFogg said:

PPS is a theoretical measure that means nothing.  It is not supported by any other measure of size - the us remains the largest importer in the world and accounts for about 15% of china’s exports.  Our exports are half the size of China’s.  China (and the world) need our consumption of foreign goods.   If that’s the measure you choose, let’s agree to disagree. ;)

t

Guys please, I don't want to say it but you make me: Why Americans find it so difficult to accept that US is no longer the leader of the world? (Unfortunately) The pendulum has moved to the East. And as a European (educated in Ivy League and worked for top US corporations) I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

3 hours ago, wanderlust307 said:

Guys please, I don't want to say it but you make me: Why Americans find it so difficult to accept that US is no longer the leader of the world? (Unfortunately) The pendulum has moved to the East. And as a European (educated in Ivy League and worked for top US corporations) I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

What??? You mean us Brits 🇬🇧no longer rule the world? No one told us. 

5 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Maybe there should be subfolders for different geographies?

There already is.  Those subfolders are probably poorly populated because this site's users are primarily US-based, and interested in opinions of hobbyists likely to have experience with nearby providers.

This site's mission is not to be a comprehensive google listing of every provider or experience in the world.  It caters to its users, and does not spend limited resources where there is low return (because of language, user base, legal reasons, whatever).  

(And just as RM is not the site to assess providers in Brazil or the UK or wherever, nor is this the site to review those providers.  As @wanderlust307 probably meant to write, "This site is not the world."  Correct, and nor does my local newspaper list bicycles for sale in Copenhagen, nor review those best beloved by Danes.)

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 10.39.20 AM.png

2 hours ago, Asterisk said:

There already is.  Those subfolders are probably poorly populated because this site's users are primarily US-based, and interested in opinions of hobbyists likely to have experience with nearby providers.

This site's mission is not to be a comprehensive google listing of every provider or experience in the world.  It caters to its users, and does not spend limited resources where there is low return (because of language, user base, legal reasons, whatever).  

(And just as RM is not the site to assess providers in Brazil or the UK or wherever, nor is this the site to review those providers.  As @wanderlust307 probably meant to write, "This site is not the world."  Correct, and nor does my local newspaper list bicycles for sale in Copenhagen, nor review those best beloved by Danes.)

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 10.39.20 AM.png

I would take exception to the reference to the UK and RM. While I know Sleepyboy and Hunqz are used more by locals, I like the selection available for London in RM. I just wish I could get over there to sample it. 😞

On 8/24/2024 at 1:50 PM, Luv2play said:

I would take exception to the reference to the UK and RM. While I know Sleepyboy and Hunqz are used more by locals, I like the selection available for London in RM. I just wish I could get over there to sample it. 😞

RentMen is taking over in EU very fast because Hunqz has so many free ads that stay forever and rarely respond while if someone is paying $100 for RentMent ads they are usually going to answer. A couple years ago Prague had 3 or 4 RM ads. Now it has some 24 and often 3 pages or more in peak tourist season. Also all the guys travel more everywhere now so it's hard to pin one as a certain continent much less country. 

Edited by tassojunior

On 8/24/2024 at 1:50 PM, Luv2play said:

While I know Sleepyboy and Hunqz are used more by locals, I like the selection available for London in RM.

Fair enough.  And, should you make it over, I doubt you would limit yourself to RM's selection, and rather take a look in Sleepyboy and Hunqz, too.  A bit of local knowledge, and interest in the local scene, is perhaps more useful than @wanderlust307's call for global CoM uniformity.

On 8/23/2024 at 6:21 PM, mike carey said:

To repurpose my favourite quotation from the original House of Cards, 'You may well say that, I couldn't possibly comment.'

By far the version of House of Cards that was not only first but also more concise, taught, and terrifying.

It had to be slowed down for Americans in the Spacey version. 😆