Embarking on a new career

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this. 

I have 10 years left to work before retiring. I’m looking for a career change, though, as I’m tired of my job in education.  I don’t want to do another graduate degree. Did that two times. 😝 I don’t really want to do a software boot camp either  I like to write, research, do financial stuff  

Are there any careers/jobs that are easier to break into at a later age?  

43 minutes ago, fancyboot said:

I have 10 years left to work before retiring. I’m looking for a career change, though, as I’m tired of my job in education.  I don’t want to do another graduate degree. Did that two times. 😝 I don’t really want to do a software boot camp either  I like to write, research, do financial stuff  

Have you considered changing the optics on your current role in education? Become a consultant for a tutoring firm or build out a tutoring client base. Learn to love teaching again, by working with individuals. Help kids with college applications, their application essays etc. Better hours, more money and it utilizes your existing knowledge base… A complete change to something brand new seems daunting. Just my 2c. 

16 hours ago, fancyboot said:

Are these usually sales positions? Thanks for the advice 

No they have tons of boring desk jobs, underwriting, policy language, etc. Actuarial I would not recommend this late in career because there is a set of exams that deternines your career progress/$$$$ and even if you pass them quickly,  the payoff time you have left in your career is short.

On 8/30/2024 at 11:30 PM, fancyboot said:

Maybe look into being a tax preparer? I think that'd be good to look into because even when you retire you could always work for just two or three months then at tax time itself and make some nice extra money.

On 9/1/2024 at 12:41 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Maybe look into being a tax preparer? I think that'd be good to look into because even when you retire you could always work for just two or three months then at tax time itself and make some nice extra money.

As a CPA, I can tell you most tax preparers don't make much and it's pretty seasonal, but may do it part time after I retire.

Most well paid tax professionals are CPAs and/or lawyers and the CPA exam now requires five years of college.

I think intuit discriminates against people over 40.   I applied for a part time season job with turbotax figuring I could do it for a little side income when I travel and had a three minute screeinging interview and never heard back, even though I'm a CPA with a PTIN.   A friend of mine that is retired and is a CPA and was manager of the tax department for a large local firm had the same results.   But a friends daughter who just graduated from college with no real experience and not a a CPA or no PTIN got hired.   Just weird they didn't even give my friend or myself the opportunity to take the online exam at least.   

30 minutes ago, handiacefailure said:

As a CPA, I can tell you most tax preparers don't make much and it's pretty seasonal, but may do it part time after I retire.

Most well paid tax professionals are CPAs and/or lawyers and the CPA exam now requires five years of college.

I think intuit discriminates against people over 40.   I applied for a part time season job with turbotax figuring I could do it for a little side income when I travel and had a three minute screeinging interview and never heard back, even though I'm a CPA with a PTIN.   A friend of mine that is retired and is a CPA and was manager of the tax department for a large local firm had the same results.   But a friends daughter who just graduated from college with no real experience and not a a CPA or no PTIN got hired.   Just weird they didn't even give my friend or myself the opportunity to take the online exam at least.   

That sounds suspicious.  I’m sorry to hear that happened to you and your friend.  Age discrimination happens more often than we think.   I’d love to get back into accounting but I don’t want to do all the classes.  Sometimes I think I picked the wrong career path.  Thanks for your insight. 

On 8/30/2024 at 8:30 PM, fancyboot said:

How much do you want to work? How many hours a week? :)

On 9/3/2024 at 1:10 PM, fancyboot said:

That sounds suspicious.  I’m sorry to hear that happened to you and your friend.  Age discrimination happens more often than we think.   I’d love to get back into accounting but I don’t want to do all the classes.  Sometimes I think I picked the wrong career path.  Thanks for your insight. 

No, you did not choose the wrong career path.  A job in education is an important one.  With the right skillset and personality, a teacher's job can be rewarding and impactful.  You also have great benefits, a pension and can usually take early retirement if financially able to do so.  Many teachers are able to have side gigs due to the hours worked and summers off.   You should not have to reinvent the wheel at this point in your life.  I often see jobs for training in the private sector.  If you play your cards right, with 10 years of employment elsewhere, you may be able to pick up another pension when you  retire.  Concentrate on your skillset and transfer those skills elsewhere.  You should definitely have other opportunities.  Good luck to you!

With your background in education, have you considered entering the corporate world in a Learning and Development role?  Many corporations have a need for those with backgrounds in education to assist with internal training and course design.  These positions often do not need to have expertise in the industry to be strong contributors. 

I just worked a project in banking where the online training for our subject area was completely redesigned as part of a project to implement changes to comply with new regulatory requirements.  The staff member on our L&D team designed the course and our team's subject matter experts provided input to ensure the accuracy of the content.  Trainee's feedback was that the training was much better than the former training entirely designed by the subject matter experts.