I think the Rolex robber chose the wrong victim.

glutes

2 hours ago, nycman said:

Which of course begs the question….what kind of moron wears a Rolex on the street to San Francisco in 2024?

It ain’t safe. 

I couldn't comprehend spending thousands for a watch.  I have the ability to do that, but I guess it just isn't a priority for me. Hopefully nobody wants to steal my $89 Timex.  That's my 'fancy' watch - normally I'm wearing a $20 cheapo for working around the house and running errands.  

9 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

I couldn't comprehend spending thousands for a watch.  

I can't comprehend spending thousands on a Rolex ! 

Anybody with a drop of class knows that Rolex are tacky and only new-money suckers looking to show off some "bling" wear Rolex. 

For the upper class - a Rolex is an immediate signal of clueless-low-class suckers.

keeping up appearances 90s GIF

On 9/4/2024 at 9:48 PM, nycman said:

Which of course begs the question….what kind of moron wears a Rolex on the street to San Francisco in 2024?

It ain’t safe. 

I found it mind-boggling that a 23 year od was wearing a watch of any kind - and not a 'smartwatch'.  I work with college kids  18-22, and can assure you no one - neither guy nor gal - wears a traditional watch. It's a smartwatch, or they just check the time on their iPhone. 

It was a tragic situation indeed, but I'm glad we A) caught a glimpse of his beautiful chiseled chest when he had his shirt off with the paramedics (and was wide awake, alert and talking to them while sitting up) and B) made it back on the field a few days after. 

On 9/5/2024 at 12:44 AM, CuriousByNature said:

I couldn't comprehend spending thousands for a watch.  I have the ability to do that, but I guess it just isn't a priority for me. Hopefully nobody wants to steal my $89 Timex.  That's my 'fancy' watch - normally I'm wearing a $20 cheapo for working around the house and running errands.  

Watches, specifically Rolexes have grown in value significantly, and can be good investment pieces to have. Many people have them and never wear them. Just lock them away like you would lock away and keep gold bars. 

10 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

I found it mind-boggling that a 23 year od was wearing a watch of any kind - and not a 'smartwatch'.  I work with college kids  18-22, and can assure you no one - neither guy nor gal - wears a traditional watch. It's a smartwatch, or they just check the time on their iPhone. 

Except that Ricky Pearsall is hardly your typical 23yo.  He was a 1st-round draft pick who signed a 4-year deal for $12.5 million guaranteed.

Plenty of the young men you work with will buy a fancy traditional watch once they've "made it."  Women have plenty of options to show off their affluence -- a designer wardrobe, a pair of Louboutins, jewelry, a Louis Vuitton bag -- whereas men are kinda sorta limited to one flex:  an expensive watch.

I say this as someone who can't afford even an entry-level model, but I gotta agree with @pubic_assistance ... I find Rolexes a bit tacky.

Edited by BSR
Wording

9 hours ago, BSR said:

Except that Ricky Pearsall is hardly your typical 23yo.  He was a 1st-round draft pick who signed a 4-year deal for $12.5 million guaranteed.

Plenty of the young men you work with will buy a fancy traditional watch once they've "made it."  Women have plenty of options to show off their affluence -- a designer wardrobe, a pair of Louboutins, jewelry, a Louis Vuitton bag -- whereas men are kinda sorta limited to one flex:  an expensive watch.

I say this as someone who can't afford even an entry-level model, but I gotta agree with @pubic_assistance ... I find Rolexes a bit tacky.

I politely disagree. For 'status' symbolization, these young guys who are Pearsall's age (Gen Z) invest in the most expensive sneakers out there. None of their friends / colleagues are impressed with the watch on their wrist - they're impressed with what's on their feet. And those sneakers are outrageously expensive - I'll never understand it.

(PS - I'll never understand the guys who buy sneakers for 'investments' and as 'collectibles'. WTH ?) 

19 hours ago, BSR said:

Women have plenty of options to show off their affluence -- a designer wardrobe, a pair of Louboutins, jewelry, a Louis Vuitton bag -- whereas men are kinda sorta limited to one flex:  an expensive watch.

Men use all of the same things as status symbols too. 

On 9/7/2024 at 3:31 PM, Monarchy79 said:

The crime in SF will not be addressed until the money leaves SF.

When tourism drops, the class of high tax payers move out, and major retailers leave in mass exodus, that’s when leaders of the city will “sound the alarm”, and make changes. 

Money always talks. 

There should be zero tolerance when it comes to crime! 

No more slap on the wrist for folks who steal something under a certain amount of money, if you're a thief you have issues and need to go to jail! 

On 9/1/2024 at 6:50 PM, MaybeMaybeNot said:

That is tragic. The violence and crime in this country is out of control. All this over a watch? It saddens me to igo nto Targets and Walmarts to see laundry detergent and deodorant locked up. What's next???

That's not true! 

Violent crime is not out of control in the USA, and it's been coming down since it peaked in 2020 and even then, wasn't even as bad as it was in the 70's.

Shoplifting has put stores out of business and must be stopped by undercover cops arresting criminals and judges who will put them in jail. It's crazy that in some cities they're released even if it's the 20th time they have stolen something. 

On 9/7/2024 at 3:13 PM, Ali Gator said:

It was a tragic situation indeed, but I'm glad we A) caught a glimpse of his beautiful chiseled chest when he had his shirt off with the paramedics (and was wide awake, alert and talking to them while sitting up) and B) made it back on the field a few days after. 

Man watch out... you're starting to think like them! 

16 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

I politely disagree. For 'status' symbolization, these young guys who are Pearsall's age (Gen Z) invest in the most expensive sneakers out there. None of their friends / colleagues are impressed with the watch on their wrist - they're impressed with what's on their feet. And those sneakers are outrageously expensive - I'll never understand it.

(PS - I'll never understand the guys who buy sneakers for 'investments' and as 'collectibles'. WTH ?) 

Virtually no college students become financially successful enough by 23yo to buy a $60K watch, so they flex by showing off more affordable status symbols like expensive sneakers or flagship smartphones.

But once entrepreneurs, lawyers, MBA types are making serious money, not just "I can make my student loan payment and still afford EDC tickets!", I can't imagine they're flashing their affluence with Air Jordans.  More like an AP, or for the arriviste a Rolex*

* That sound you just heard was @pubic_assistance  throwing up in his mouth