Playa Del Carmen

Codyjacs

I know that PDC is not known to be a “gay” destination and has limited gay clubs, etc. That being said, does anyone have any recommendations on spa’s with male masseurs in the area? Or know any local male masseurs that offer HE’s? 

thanks! 

I don't recommend visiting PDC. It is owned and run by cartels. The police are paid off, the government are paid off and if you are not paid off your life and your families lives are at stake.

The last time I went there, one of the ferries that go between PDC and Cozumel was rigged with explosives which were thankfully discovered by a detective before they were detonated. Disemboweled bodies and severed heads are casually left on the street next to hotels in garbage bags. Shootings occur on the beaches regularly, injuring and killing tourists in the crossfire during turf wars.

I highly recommend avoiding PDC.

PDC is perfectly safe.  This hand-wrung MX cartel talk always reminds me of the one white tourist who lives in fear anytime they leave the States.

That said, Playa is a wasteland when it comes to gay life.  While not anti-gay, it's just not developed a gay following.

Grindr is your best bet.  

Even Cancun down the road has a couple of shitty gay bars (downtown), but nothing more.

On 9/7/2024 at 5:50 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

PDC is perfectly safe.  This hand-wrung MX cartel talk always reminds me of the one white tourist who lives in fear anytime they leave the States.

That said, Playa is a wasteland when it comes to gay life.  While not anti-gay, it's just not developed a gay following.

Grindr is your best bet.  

Even Cancun down the road has a couple of shitty gay bars (downtown), but nothing more.

If you believe PDC is "perfectly safe", you're ignorant. Your money there also goes into the pockets of cartels. And the #1 reason not to visit PDC is as you've already stated: it's a wasteland for gay things. Avoid avoid avoid.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:51 PM, Necks said:

If you believe PDC is "perfectly safe", you're ignorant. Your money there also goes into the pockets of cartels. And the #1 reason not to visit PDC is as you've already stated: it's a wasteland for gay things. Avoid avoid avoid.

BN certainly isn't ignorant, I've never met him, I don't know him but from all I've ever read it seems to me that he's exceedingly intelligent.  

Now... about PDC and that entire area....  first and foremost I was born in Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue.... I speak it,  I read it,  and I write it fluently. I have family all over Baja California ( I even have a retired Judicial uncle in Mexicali ) Monterey, Sinaloa, Mexico City, and other places... when I'm there communicating with locals,  if I didn't tell them, they would never know I don't live in Mexico 🇲🇽 When I was much younger, I would go into Tijuana often since I grew up  in San Diego it was a place to party on the weekends however , as I've gotten older, I've become more cautious, discerning and sagacious about my trips to Mexico...  I won't go into Tijuana anymore.... unfortunately visiting Mexico has become more of a crapshoot.... for whatever reason, it you grab someone's attention and they want something from you there's absolutely nothing you can do about it...  i've been to Mayakoba ( riviera Maya ) three different times in the last 10 years each time for a week. I do feel safer staying  at the Fairmont and The Banyan Tree, but each time I've taken tours to see pyramids or other tourist traps I'm always just a tad bit nervous and probably for a good reason .. Even with a private car from the airport to Mayakoba, I would be a liar if I said I don't get a little nervous. Being from Mexico, I have to admit that I do not believe most of it is "perfectly safe" so I'm with you there @Necks i've not been to Puerto Vallarta since I was 10 years old, but a lot of friends visit and a few have moved there and it seems to me that its a safer choice in Mexico; in fact it seems to be Mexico's  gay friendliest city.  I have Colombian friends who joke that Mexico has become more dangerous than Colombia 🇨🇴 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

49 minutes ago, Vin Marco said:

have Colombian friends who joke that Mexico has become more dangerous than Colombia 🇨🇴 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I have heard the same, many times.

P.V. and Cabo have thus far been kept put of the cartel's control becasue of their unique geographic locations that allow the military to control the roads in and out.

1 hour ago, Vin Marco said:

BN certainly isn't ignorant, I've never met him, I don't know him but from all I've ever read it seems to me that he's exceedingly intelligent.  

Let me quote the legendary @Rick Munroe here:  I'm just a dumb whore.

But seriously, I suppose it's the just the way I personally feel when I'm in MX.  I can't really speak for anyone else (and I realize this isn't everyone's experience).

If I avoided every 'dangerous' place in the world, I'd have had far less incredible memories.  YMMV.