"Feds cut rates" - what's in it for us ?

The big economic news this week is that 'the Feds Cut Rates' - by half a percentage point (which everyone says it's good) - for the first time in four years. We're being told this should 'ease the cost of borrowing' for consumers - from mortgages to auto loans to credit card purchases.

Of consumer borrowing, the only one which effects me (and maybe all of us) is credit card borrowing. I've always found once my financial institution which issues the credit card raises the interest rates on consumers - and consumers continue to use the card with the higher rate - the financial institution does not lower the rate...ever. It doesn't matter that the feds cut the rates for them - the consumer still seems to pay the highest rate.  Or am I wrong ? 

How exactly does this work, and what should I be looking for in the months ahead on my statements ?  (Please note I do not carry a lot of credit card debt, but what I do have I don't want to be paying a high rate). 

Forgive me for stating the rather obvious remedy, which I suspect you know already. 
Never have debt on your credit card(s). It’s a very expensive form of debt.
It’s always best to pay off your balance(s) in full each month.

And to answer your original question, I suspect it means that many of us will have a lower income from our savings. 

Edited by MscleLovr

It means very little.  It means more for banks who tend to borrow short (deposits) and lend long (loans) and a flat or inverted yield curve makes that tough. 

if they lower too fast and make inflation sizzle again, it will really hurt mortgage rates since they tend to track with 10Yr UST and it’s the longer rates that tend to reflect inflation expectations. 

The rate cut is a big deal for people holding bond mutual funds. Bond funds, which are usually pretty stable, lost value in 2022 when interest rates went up. They should recover as rates decrease.  I got lucky because I had moved a lot of my bond investments to individual bonds instead of mutual funds. But the bond funds that I did keep definitely reflect the change interest rates.  

One of my CDs matured today and, looking at rates today, I've already noticed a decrease.  I have my ladder of 3-month t-bills and CDs ($ from the sale of my apartment 2 years ago) and I'm waiting for the recession to hit to put that money in the market at the low prices.  The recession has been 'just around the corner' for 2+ years!  Any advice from you guys is much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2024 at 6:31 PM, sutherland said:

One of my CDs matured today and, looking at rates today, I've already noticed a decrease.  I have my ladder of 3-month t-bills and CDs ($ from the sale of my apartment 2 years ago) and I'm waiting for the recession to hit to put that money in the market at the low prices.  The recession has been 'just around the corner' for 2+ years!  Any advice from you guys is much appreciated :)

The saying is, "Time in the market beats timing the market." This is a good read:

WWW.INVESTOPEDIA.COM

Market timing is a strategy where investors try to predict market movements in order to make a profit. Read about the risks of market timing.

When it comes to the overall scenario of the economy and financial moves, it depends. Stock prices usually rise when rate cuts are seen as a sign of a strong economy or effective management of a soft landing. However, if rate cuts are viewed as a measure to prevent a recession, the outcome can be quite different. This was an amazing summary of the cut and dry effects:

On 9/23/2024 at 6:40 AM, SundayZip said:

The rate cut is a big deal for people holding bond mutual funds. Bond funds, which are usually pretty stable, lost value in 2022 when interest rates went up. They should recover as rates decrease.  I got lucky because I had moved a lot of my bond investments to individual bonds instead of mutual funds. But the bond funds that I did keep definitely reflect the change interest rates.  

I am a registered financial advisor. If you're in need of one or a recommendation, let me know.

11 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

My bank pays less than 2% on my savings account (and they advertise this as a huge deal).

Yeesh, you need to get an account with an online bank. Mine pays currently 4.15% and it was just at 4.50% before the fed did their interest cut. I have an account with a physical credit union but transfer the money right to my online savings account.

Edited by BuffaloKyle

2 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Yeesh, you need to get an account with an online bank. Mine pays currently 4.15% and it was just at 4.50% before the fed did their interest cut. I have an account with a physical credit union but transfer the money right to my online savings account.

WeBull and Robinhood have better rates than that (for uninvested cash, something similar to a savings account), and they have greatly improved their game lately. I'd recommend.

On 10/13/2024 at 2:11 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

Interesting development from a bank I use almost as much as my main one (it's not an on-line bank but close enough, it has so few branches). For some time they've been paying 4.75% on their savings account and on their transaction account. As a result I've been lax in transferring funds into my savings account. I just received an e-mail from them that from Thursday they will increase the savings rate to 5% and cut the transaction account rate to 2.75% (still a good rate for that type of account). If my discipline in minimising the transaction account balance is anything to go by, they'll probably end up paying less interest in total. The RBA hasn't yet started post peak-inflation cuts to its cash rate from the high of 4.35%, and is still suggesting it'll be next year before it does, but in the last few days the commercial bank prognosticators are starting to predict a 25 basis point cut this year.