Who's watching "Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story"

This new Ryan Murphy series deserves its own thread! Premiered on Netflix September 19, starring the delicious actors Cooper Koch and Nicholas Chavez as the Menendez brothers who killed their parents in August, 1989.  Javier Bardem plays their father, Jose. 

It's a Ryan Murphy series, so there is plenty of dick scenes (thanks to Cooper Koch) , gay scenes, and blood and gore - which has caused quite the conversations on social media. After all, we don't tune in to a Murphy series for 'wholesome family entertainment', do we ?

I watched the first two episodes (I don't want to binge watch - I want to spread this out to enjoy) and really enjoying it. Both Koch and Chavez are incredible actors in this (even with their clothes on) and honestly should pick up a few awards next year.  I'm hooked ! 

this was also mentioned in the "any good netflix watches" thread.....before watching, I googled for articles on nudity in it and episode three was highly touted for that in one article.......so direct to episode three I went!......some nice quickie butt shots and a prison shower scene with one of the bros (I always get Lyle and Erik mixed up) showing off for another prisoner and probably wearing a prosthetic dick.....I'll check out the other episodes, but this is another one of those really trashy Ryan Murphy series really only worth watching when everything else in your life is all caught up and you're ready to just kick back with some crappy crap......

It’s sad that teens watch it and all because they are so impressionable at that age. Exposure to certain stuff, can have an impact, shaping their views on relationships, self-image, and etc. Media and social media are full of content that can glamorize unhealthy attituded or unrealistic lifestyles, and when teens consume it without the maturity or critical thinking, ideally they shouldnt, they might internalize negative messages. Many peoples health has been crap these days and what helped me was spending time with the gospels and podcasts about the gospels 😄 It's concerning to think about the long-term effects of people being constantly exposed to such content at regular intervals, especially when it's not balanced with more positive or meaningful influences.

I was really interested in this show, was going to get Netflix to catch it, but now I'm not so sure. It seems like another Ryan Murphy masturbatory exercise, but this time, it feels manipulative because he's exploiting real-life brothers. Am I wrong in this assessment? Is he saying this is what happened?

I truly enjoyed it. He leaves it open at the end for the viewer to decide whether they were telling the truth or not. Episode 5 should guarantee Cooper Koch and Emmy nomination, if not the Emmy itself.  A 30+ minute episode all done in one take, with the camera never leaving Koch. Incredible.

It's pretty watchable. A bizarre and fictionalized take on an already bizarre story. Mr. Murphy doesn't bother to humanize anyone. The acting is fine, with a lot of shouting!

The highly esteemed single take of Koch is the most boring part of the series. It's not difficult to act a long take in mid-shot. It's like doing a monologue in acting class. Film acting is hard when you have to deal with emotion and continuity, coverage, and close ups. 

I thought it was watchable. Certainly not memorable but what I always appreciate with Ryan Murphy's shows is how well he and his team are are recreating a specific era. Sets, costumes, lighting and cinematography are always top notch. As for the content, that's another story. In this case, I'm just surprised at how stupid most of the characters are in this story, starting of course with the 2 boys. I particularly liked Chloe Sevigny, Nathan Lane (who I usually don't like) and Javier Bardem. Boys were adequate and pretty to look at if that's your type. Almost makes me want to research to find out if all these people really were as dumb as they are portrayed here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2024 at 1:23 AM, Ali Gator said:

It's a Ryan Murphy series, so there is plenty of dick scenes (thanks to Cooper Koch) , gay scenes, and blood and gore - which has caused quite the conversations on social media.

On 9/22/2024 at 2:05 AM, azdr0710 said:

some nice quickie butt shots and a prison shower scene with one of the bros (I always get Lyle and Erik mixed up) showing off for another prisoner and probably wearing a prosthetic dick.....

Nope... he said it wasn't a prosthetic.