MATLOCK

Kind of dumb, but Kathy Bates is better that she has been in a while. 
The younger attorney played by David Del Rio is cute and talented, but Skye Marshall and Leah Lewis show us the downside of DEI casting. 
We've got white, black, hispanic, and asian. Who cares that some of the actors are bad? You're the problem if you expect professionals to be good at their jobs. 

23 hours ago, Manhattan said:

The younger attorney played by David Del Rio is cute and talented, but Skye Marshall and Leah Lewis show us the downside of DEI casting. 
We've got white, black, hispanic, and asian. Who cares that some of the actors are bad? You're the problem if you expect professionals to be good at their jobs. 

I agree with this 100% - and this is what's ruining so many TV shows these days. Marshall and Lewis are horribly miscast in this show. This is the best who auditioned for the roles?

However, I liked the premiere episode very much. Nice twist at the end that has me hooked. For those expecting a 'Matlock' reboot of the 80s show, you will be very disappointed and pleasantly surprised. 

NBC has one of the largest DEI initiatives in the industry. If you've spent any time working in television, you know that the diverse casting pool is vey small. You can spend a lot of time looking for an actor. If the studio says they have to be beautiful, slim, and speak fluent english, the search gets harder. If they also have to represent a particular demographic, the chances of finding a talented actor (who's not already booked on a different project) are pretty small. 

Commercials can successfully push a DEI agenda, since those actors don't need talent or beauty. A television series, however, usually needs good actors to sustain viewership. 

We'll see how it goes for Matlock. 

• 3 weeks later...