One Direction singer Liam Payne dies in Argentina after fall

56harrisond

One Direction was hugely successful, one of the biggest ever boybands.  Out of all of them, I thought Liam had the best voice.  While I can't claim to be a fan, I did appreciate his talent.  It makes me sad that he couldn't reach out to get the help he needed with his mental health struggles.  Tragic to lose someone so young and talented.

I've read that the hotel staff had already reported him to the authorities for erratic behavior and trashing his hotel room before he jumped off the balcony. Sounds like he was hopped up on drugs.

Like many of these former boy-band types, life becomes unmanageable after they leave the energy and celebrity of the band.

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I've read that the hotel staff had already reported him to the authorities for erratic behavior and trashing his hotel room before he jumped off the balcony. Sounds like he was hopped up on drugs.

Like many of these former boy-band types, life becomes unmanageable after they leave the energy and celebrity of the band.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/17/entertainment/what-we-know-liam-payne-intl/index.html

This is why most American hotels don't have a balcony and you can't even open the window more than a couple of inches.... if you can open it at all. 

I'm sure some boutique hotels might be different.

The article in Spanish says: Why so many English fall out of balconies while vacationing in Spain?" a combination of alcohol (they drink like American frat boys) they are also tall and the fact that the average balcony railing in Spain is a little shorter than in Britain. 

ES.QUORA.COM

Respuesta (1 de 21): No son muchos pero supongo que la respuesta es obvia. Son borachos. No sé si haya algún problema con el diseño de los balcones en temas de...

In Spain, hotels raised the height of their balcony railings from 1.05 to 1.2 meters (3.4 to 3.9 ft) in 2010 to reduce the number of balcony falls

WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

THE girlfriend of a Brit rugby player who fell to his death from his hotel has blamed the tragedy on the low height of Spanish balcony railings.Freddi

Edited by marylander1940

WWW.EXPATICA.COM

They're young, on holiday, drunk and sometimes high, and they decide to jump from their hotel or apartment balcony into the pool. But some miss and end up in...

Seems to be an issue even while booking a hotel? 

How likely am I to fall from a balcony if I stay in this hotel? 

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Intervention over Spanish website from MSP Christina McKelvie comes days after death of Scottish law student

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

In Spain, hotels raised the height of their balcony railings from 1.05 to 1.2 meters (3.4 to 3.9 ft) in 2010 to reduce the number of balcony falls

“In Spain the legal minimum height for balconies is 3ft7ins, approximate waist height for most and a height waiting for accidents." - A quote from the article you posted.

I find this interesting, in that ( being an architect myself ) I can tell you the minimum in the United States is actually LOWER. ( 3'-6" ) and we all consider that to be a safe height ( for sober people, I gather )

18 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I don't know the exact number...but I wouldn't say they are uncommon.

I can think of FIVE right off the bat in NYC alone.

I would say most every major city has at least one.

1200x795.thumb.webp.a66397e58af02a784fa3fa543df4754e.webp

In Atlanta also the Hilton is an atrium hotel. 

Anyways, I don't think I need to explain that I was referring to a balcony from the room and not in the corridor, right? 

9 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

“In Spain the legal minimum height for balconies is 3ft7ins, approximate waist height for most and a height waiting for accidents." - A quote from the article you posted.

I find this interesting, in that ( being an architect myself ) I can tell you the minimum in the United States is actually LOWER. ( 3'-6" ) and we all consider that to be a safe height ( for sober people, I gather )

Brits (drunk or not) love playing the victim card, or maybe it's a money grab threatening a lawsuit because of SO many cases. The fact that railings had to be raised after SO many accidents. 

Fortunately, in this side of the pond we get wealthy English tourists and not the hooligans that go to Europe. 

5 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

I don't think I need to explain that I was referring to a balcony from the room and not in the corridor, right? 

Well...I was just saying that there are plenty of hotels to fall off ( or jump from) a balcony if you're so inclined. In your room / or right outside your room.

Further to the subject of balconies and suicide.....I know they had to shut down the "VESSEL" in NYC because it is nothing BUT balconies ..and multiple people did jump off them to their death, shortly after it's opening.

WWW.NEWSER.COM

Man jumped to his death from 150-foot structure

This event has been reported on extensively in the United Kingdom, mainly because it was the British version of the X Factor where he rose to fame, however some of the reporting has been downright terrible, from the Sun's WAS LIAM PUSHED? to the Weekend Sport reporting Liam Payne was today found dead at an hotel in Argentina after a weekend of alcohol fueled orgies...pictures inside

10 hours ago, Welshman said:

This event has been reported on extensively in the United Kingdom, mainly because it was the British version of the X Factor where he rose to fame, however some of the reporting has been downright terrible, from the Sun's WAS LIAM PUSHED? to the Weekend Sport reporting Liam Payne was today found dead at an hotel in Argentina after a weekend of alcohol fueled orgies...pictures inside

I'm not surprised based on the usual behavior of the British media. 

Soon they'll blame the hotel..

Edited by marylander1940
Misspelling