One Direction singer Liam Payne dies in Argentina after fall

56harrisond

I’m sorry this happened to him and may he rest in peace. But to be honest, it’s hard for me to have empathy for someone who knowingly took drugs/alcohol or any other kind of substance before their death. There has to be some kind of personal accountability held. He was rich and famous and had access to medical professionals if he was suffering from mental illness or substance abuse issues. He wasn’t murdered. He didn’t have cancer. He wasn’t killed by a drunk driver. Yes it’s still very sad he died young.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Depression is real.

It's is worthy of empathy.

I have empathy for people with depression. However I’m less inclined to be empathetic for those that cope with depression with drugs/alcohol and other substances. 

M.ECONOMICTIMES.COM

Liam Payne's death reason has reportedly been revealed by police officials. In Argentina, policemen...

Edited by caramelsub

13 hours ago, caramelsub said:

I have empathy for people with depression. However I’m less inclined to be empathetic for those that cope with depression with drugs/alcohol and other substances. 

M.ECONOMICTIMES.COM

Liam Payne's death reason has reportedly been revealed by police officials. In Argentina, policemen...

My view on this is different.  I think that desperation can drive people to find whatever relief they can - there are obviously healthier choices than drugs or alcohol, but not everyone has the ability to avoid those.  Addiction itself is a health matter, and I can't judge addicts from a moral standpoint any more than I could judge a diabetic or cancer patient.

14 hours ago, caramelsub said:

M.ECONOMICTIMES.COM

True empathy isn’t conditional. If you only extend empathy to people who cope with depression in ways you personally approve of, then that’s not empathy at all—it’s judgment. Dismissing their struggles just because their coping mechanisms don’t align with your expectations shows a lack of understanding and compassion. You’re essentially saying some people deserve your empathy and others don’t, which is not only ignorant but harmful. Empathy means understanding the full scope of someone’s pain, not picking and choosing who’s worthy of it.

42 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Why ?
drugs and alcohol are typical responses to depression

self-medicating is literally the most common way people first try to cope

1 minute ago, ApexNomad said:

True empathy isn’t conditional. If you only extend empathy to people who cope with depression in ways you personally approve of, then that’s not empathy at all—it’s judgment. Dismissing their struggles just because their coping mechanisms don’t align with your expectations shows a lack of understanding and compassion. You’re essentially saying some people deserve your empathy and others don’t, which is not only ignorant but harmful. Empathy means understanding the full scope of someone’s pain, not picking and choosing who’s worthy of it.

43 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

My view on this is different.  I think that desperation can drive people to find whatever relief they can - there are obviously healthier choices than drugs or alcohol, but not everyone has the ability to avoid those.  Addiction itself is a health matter, and I can't judge addicts from a moral standpoint any more than I could judge a diabetic or cancer patient.

I hear you all. I have been pretty open about my own mental health struggles on this board. Having been diagnosed with a mental health disorder, which most people would consider far more severe than depression. I know what it’s like to suffer a mental health breakdown. I had one in my freshman year of college. I was lucky to find the right medication that worked for me, as well as talk therapy. But not even at my worst state of mind, did I ever consider taking drugs or alcohol to cope with my illness. I have never been high, or have ever been drunk. I feel like these things are learned through social peer pressure and kids that like to party, which has never really been my thing. I do confess I’m ignorant about the reasons for substance abuse. Though not so much mental illness and health.

20 hours ago, caramelsub said:

I’m sorry this happened to him and may he rest in peace. But to be honest, it’s hard for me to have empathy for someone who knowingly took drugs/alcohol or any other kind of substance before their death. There has to be some kind of personal accountability held. He was rich and famous and had access to medical professionals if he was suffering from mental illness or substance abuse issues. He wasn’t murdered. He didn’t have cancer. He wasn’t killed by a drunk driver. Yes it’s still very sad he died young.

I'm also a great believer in freedom and responsibility but it's hard to imagine what happened in his life when he achieved fame and fortune at such a young age. 

4 hours ago, caramelsub said:

I hear you all. I have been pretty open about my own mental health struggles on this board. Having been diagnosed with a mental health disorder, which most people would consider far more severe than depression. I know what it’s like to suffer a mental health breakdown. I had one in my freshman year of college. I was lucky to find the right medication that worked for me, as well as talk therapy. But not even at my worst state of mind, did I ever consider taking drugs or alcohol to cope with my illness. I have never been high, or have ever been drunk. I feel like these things are learned through social peer pressure and kids that like to party, which has never really been my thing. I do confess I’m ignorant about the reasons for substance abuse. Though not so much mental illness and health.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had such difficult struggles, and I'm glad that you never looked to drugs or alcohol as a means of dealing with it.  I have never taken drugs or been drunk either - the thought of either is scary to me.  Despite a lot of addiction in my family, I was somehow blessed with a non-addictive personality/psyche/character, unless you count this Board - which I feel compelled to check several times a day even though I have yet to meet with anyone or even have held someone's hand in a romantic way! LOL.