System Repairs

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 7260 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

First the bad news x(; Wednesday morning we lost the message center computer, I had just finished my daily "Daddy Duties" for the day and literally watched it go down.

To make a long story short, The hard drive died violently and in the process took out the Motherboard. At the time, I didn't know that the Disk Drive was fried, and when I tried to load the drive on the spare machine it took out the motherboard on that machine too.

The net result was that we ended up with a double failure, that also took out our current backups. I was able to retrieve a backup from 4/11/2004 and have reloaded the message center. I can't risk searching for any later backups on the first drive 'cause it's a known motherboard killer. I'll try on the spare's hard drive, but will have to be very careful because it may have been taken out by the 1st drive.

The good news :7 is that the new CPU has twice the speed, much faster memory, and a faster/bigger hard drive to boot. For those that care: The new system is an ADM64 3200+ with 1 gig of DDR400 memory, and a 120 gig hard drive with a 8mb cache. We're running the latest SuSe 9.1 distribution.

Now that we can take a breath, it's time to start getting a new spare computer in place. Once that's in place, I'll be configuring the machines to automatically replicate (i.e, Copy from the 1st Machine to the 2nd machine as it happens)

We're on the latest version of all the software which will probably require some tuning (we do put a massive load on a computer :o). So please be patient, as things settle down.

--Daddy

It would, of course, be nice and commendable, if you can get us back further into the earlier postings. But, if you can't, it might turn out to be better for conversation around here, any way. We won't be quite so tempted to just say, "We talked about that so many times before - Please just read the archives." ;-)

Oops, sorry, Daddy. I usually skip this part of the boards, secure in the belief that you will take care of me and that if I read the posts here I would probably not understand them anyway. (Pooh's my hero!)

>Oops, sorry, Daddy. I usually skip this part of the boards,

>secure in the belief that you will take care of me and that if

>I read the posts here I would probably not understand them

>anyway. (Pooh's my hero!)

No need to worry - Woodlawn has all of the posts memorized, so if there are any questions about the missing threads, just ask him and he'll re-print them.

Archived