Beagle Worm

jackhammer91406
This topic is 6799 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I got an email yesterday from a friend I hadn't had contact with for some time. He told me he had received two emails from me in as many days, both with some virus named Beagle. Now, I have Norton and have done scan after scan and cannot find it. I also went to the Symantec site and downloaded their tool for deleting the file. Three scans with that debugger cannot find it on my PC. So I am in need of some advice as to how to locate the little bugger and get rid of it.

You probably don't have it.

Someone who knows you, or has ever seen your email address on a web page, or has ever traded email with you, or who once did a google search that turned up your email address does have it.

Beagle searches the hard disk of the infected computer for ANY email address, and uses that as "from". Many times over.

Your friend was right to alert you, but you're probably not the source from what you've described.

Tracking these infections down is a lot like tracking down an STD infection. It may not have come from you, but you also need to alert everyone you've ever been in contact with.

Someone (who you may not actually know) is wondering why their computer is so slow. It's because it's sending out all those viruses to any email address it can find FROM any email address it can find.

Archived