Can't View The Book of Daniel

OneFinger
This topic is 6796 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Previously posted this in the lounge but didn't get any replied. Thought I try here.

Went to the BofD link and clicked on the video window to watch it. I can't get the current video to run. I originally tried it in FireFox and it said I needed to use IE. So, I switched to IE and, when I click play, the picture in the video window disappears but the video never starts.

Anyone else having this problem? Could it be my firewall is blocking it?

-------------

"We need to have more respect for each other. Things have just gone really crazy, out of control. ... We're on a very weird kind of cycle." Stevie Wonder

I'm using IE version 6.0.2800.1106, XP Professional w/SP 1.

Firewall is Sygate. Just turned it off, opened IE, and tried again. Still wouldn't load.

I've just downloaded Windows Media Player 10 so I can reload it. Perhaps that's been corrupted. Will let you know the results.

Any suggestions welcomed.

-------------

"We need to have more respect for each other. Things have just gone really crazy, out of control. ... We're on a very weird kind of cycle." Stevie Wonder

Glad you got it working, but....

>XP Professional w/SP 1

(You know this already, I'm sure.)

You're going to find more and more stuff degrading until you accept SP2 (and later). In fact, later security updates will refuse to install too.

I've recently seen worms/viruses that are SPECIFICALLY targeting users who haven't installed SP2.

Thanks for the warning. I heard that SP2 really degraded system performance. x(

Perhaps I really do need to upgrade, if only for security/virus reasons.

-------------

>I heard that SP2 really degraded system performance.

Not that I've noticed. <shrug>

(Caveat on that: I tend to run higher horsepower computers than the average home user just because it's my job.)

What it DEFINITELY does is break some applications that do unsafe things to begin with. ;-) So your choice is really whether you let them keep doing unsafe things or get a handle on it.

Well, I bit the bullet over the past 2 days and upgraded. It took 2-3 hours to download and install:

o 35 Updates for SP1

o SP2

o 5 Updates for SP2

So far I haven't seen any change in my performance. Didn't realize I was that far behind in my updates. Hope it makes a difference in my security.

Thanks for suggesting I update. I think it was probably overdue.

-------------

Glad you're not seeing a performance problem! (I knew you wouldn't!)

What you've gained is supportability. (Is that a word?)

When a friend calls with a computer problem my first questions are about versions/updates. I'll deal with it if they're current. If not, they can call back once they're current.

Hey, don't expect ME to sit at your computer and download updates that YOU should have downloaded and installed. (Well, unless you're cute or you've got tickets I really want. ;-))

You might be surprised how many times just "getting current" solves the problem they called about.

There are completely sane reasons to bow out of the update stream and stick with a particular version. But if you're going to be surfing the web and visitng sites with the newest crap (and NBC really did a crap rollout on BoD, but I'm just glad they rolled it out), you need the latest crap.

Archived