Montreal Customs - No Problems

Karl-G
This topic is 7105 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I arrived at the Montreal airport last Thursday at 3:00 p.m., usually a very busy time. I checked my watch after some of the reports here. From the moment I entered the customs hall until I left, only three minutes elapsed and no questions. The customs officer greeted me warmly, put my passport through the scanner, stamped it, and wished me a happy stay. I am a frequent visitor and might otherwise fit a profile that some supposed would attract attention; it does not appear to be true. Montrealers were very friendly. Caught the airport shuttle bus which was waiting, and was dropped off at the Marriott downtown in 20 minutes ($20 CD roundtrip).

The customs officer greeted me warmly, put my passport through

>the scanner, stamped it, and wished me a happy stay.

I find this very difficult to believe especially with tightened security following 9/11... In all the years that I've been traveling to Montreal, I've always been asked a few basic questions. In addition, anyone I've ever traveled with has also been asked the same type of quesitons. Such as: how long are you staying, where are you staying, what is the purpose of your trip, are you visiting anyone, are you bringing with you any foods, etc... As for the customs agent wishing you a "happy stay"??? :-)

Sorry to disagree and repeat, but what I said is 100% true. Many of the questions you pose are printed on the customs form which one signs and turns in; I provided this information. Occasionally in the past, the agent has asked why I am coming to Montreal, and I respond to enjoy their world class city and have the chance to speak a little French, and I smile. They have always been satisfied. But this time, not one question was posed.

I don't view going through Canadian customs as being the same as passing through the gates at Disney World. The agents take their work very seriously and have always been careful to ask the standard, who, what, when, where, and why type questions. I've never seen anyone just walk through with just a smile from the agent and a stamp of the passport. Perhaps the high of being in Montreal can make one quickly forget that he was just asked a few questions.

Why is it so difficult to believe that different people might have different experiences? I've had both kinds of encounters with YUL immigration: most like Karl-G's, though occasionally I've been asked a few standard questions (I've so far escaped the 3rd degree described in the Stock thread).

Why is it so difficult to believe that different people might have different experiences? I've had both kinds of encounters with YUL immigration: most like Karl-G's, though occasionally I've been asked a few standard questions (I've so far escaped the 3rd degree described in the Stock thread).

Archived