SO LONG TO LA FLEUR'S II ( or is it III or IV or V...)

Regina
This topic is 7078 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sadly, after a valient attempt to provide entertainment at another location, John LaFleur has decided to pull the plug on the LaFleur night at The Door Under, or whatever that bar was called on 9th avenue between 38th & 39th.

He had hoped it would work out but it just didn't seem to gel. The managers of the bar couldn't provide a "gay night" once a week and kept selling out the back bar area to private parties, which really bothered the patrons. Last time I was there this huge hunky dancer named Leo was sitting in the corner. I asked him why and he said because he had just spent the last bit of time dancing for this guy who told him "I'm straight, get lost!" That just deflated his ego AND EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

So, keep us informed. Don't forget, on Sunday, there's The Girl's Room which is a lot of fun!!! But, sadly, goodbye to La Fleurs. Let's just hope it's for now!

You are both right, but only partially. These events didn't work as planned, however, keep in mind the venue was not John LaFleur's place: he, along with everyone else--myself included--did not feel totally relaxed at the bar. When this was first established, it was stated that a private party had been booked into the bar for the first night; following that, it would strictly be gay men only. The next weekend, the bar manager claimed the same story and Mr. La Fleur was forced to go along with it.

He ceased his association with the bar because they were unable to conform to his wishes; that it be a totally gay establishment one day a week. He could have stayed with it, counted his money and gone home but rather, due to his ties with the gay community and, more importantly, his patrons, walked away from the project.

His is--or was--not the only gar bar in Manhattan, but it was one of the few that the clientele was so varied. I have spent time with the cloned masses of Splash bar (while stepping over an inebriated Nathan Lane), stood & posed at Barrage (yawn), made out with many thugs at Esquilita (that was fun...), even got fucked at the Eagle (who hasn't) but I don't know any other bar in the city where I can sit at a table and drink and have a conversation with a Grammy award-winning recording artist, a Tony award-winning actor, a Peabody award-winning writer at the New York Times and two hustlers from Argentina while watching partially clothed men dance around me.

I write this because John LaFleur is my friend. He has always been good to me and even though his latest venture didn't pan out, I can't fault him for it. We all, at one time or another, have been trapped in an act not of our own design. Keep in mind just how you found out that the Gaiety closed; at least John had the decency to not only post a letter on line, but he called all his employees and dancers, informing them of this change; they didn't find out by showing up for work only to find the door locked. He also made calls to other establishments, letting them know what was up and to keep his people in mind when employment possibilities became available.

It's very easy to criticize, but it's better to walk a mile in another's thong before throwing stones when you live in a glass whorehouse of your own.

Why couldn't I write the word "####"?

RE: SO LONG TO LA FLEUR'S II

I don't throw the stones, I wear them right in my thong.

If Mr.LaFleur is going to host an event, he should make sure the patrons are comfortable. The coldness I received began with the doorman, heightened with the tickettaker, didn't change with the dancer(s), and if LaFleur was there, he made no effort to say hi to one of the very few customers. When I left rather early, the tickettaker who I recognized from 41st Street showed no concern at all. Rude!

RE: SO LONG TO LA FLEUR'S II

What can I say, I'm sorry you had that experience. The problems began with the doorman who's attention was toward any white woman who would show him some love. It was he who also would let all the "straight folk" in and tell the Joey the door man, "They're here for the private party in back". Once while having a cigarette outside I heard him tell a couple "Say you're with the group". It's unfortunate you suffered from the anger the LaFleur people were experiencing from the staff of the bar. I know it seems like empty words but they are really terrific people and I think they saw the writing on the wall and were just exasperated at the situation.

Since it's Monday, are you going to the Boy's Room? There's a strip competition, open bar until 11:30pm and only $5.00 to get in. Many of the Stella/LaFleur patrons and dancers go there too. Unfortunately I can't tonight but i've always had a good time while there; especially if I made it while the open bar was still going on!

Have you noticed when you write the word #### as in whorehouse, and I don't mean house,it appears as a series of hash marks (####). Why is that?

And TonyTender..is that a photo of you? I ran into someone who looks like that photo on your postings at LaFleur's (literally) and he was really sweet and kept apologizing for bumping into me. He asked if I wanted a drink but I had had enough but I remember thinking "Wow, I would LOVE to kiss him!" (well, really DO HIM but I don't want to seem like a huge tramp.) Anyway, if that was you I wish I had known. I wish I had known Lucky too; we all would have had fun toasting to the memory of HooBoy!

Archived