Howard Johnson's Closed

Lucky
This topic is 7022 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Apparently a romantic dinner between Denise and a big guy from the west coast was the last dinner to be served yesterday as the world-famous Howard Johnson's finally closed. The restaurant's true purpose, to act as a bottom for the Gaiety dance club, was never revealed other than to the inn-crowd. For his last meal, the big guy ate crow with mashed potato-toes and a twink. Denise stayed on her Atkins diet, seen eating pretzels, chips and a fruity looking water beverage. The waiters, however, were all dressed down, with most wearing only undies, g-strings, or, in the case of one, a chef's apron. Doorman Neo kept unwanted tourists out of the last meal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/heads/rope0710.jpg

RE: A Sad Sundae

Thanks Lucky for the update...The corner of 46th and Broadway, lots of fond memories from the G- "Dazzle" theatre above HoJo's. It's looks like the demolition men are now ready to tear down that infamous wall.

Howard Johnson's, Landmark of Old Times Square, to Shut Down

By Robert Simonson

Howard Johnson's, one of the last functioning remnants of the rough-and tumble, Runyonesque Times Square of yesteryear, will be torn down sometime this year, the New York Post reported April 19.

The restaurant and the land it sits on, a prime site on the northwest corner of 46th Street and Broadway, was recently sold for "more than $100 million" by longtime owner Kenneth Rubinstein to Jeff Sutton's Wharton Acquisitions. Sutton plans to flatten the four-story edifice and replace it with a gleaming new retail outlet.

The Howard Johnson's was built in 1955 and is the oldest, continually operated business facing directly on Times Square. Its squat dimensions once fit in nicely with the low-scale, slightly down-at-heel architecture that for a long time characterized the area. But the real estate revival of the late 1990s saw it dwarfed by glass towers and glossy stores like Toys 'R' Us and the Virgin Megastore. Increasingly, the venerable old institution looked like an anachronism.

In the years following World War II, Times Square boasted not one, but three Howard Johnson's eateries (including one directly across the way, on Seventh Avenue). The restaurants—one of the first to be franchised nationwide— teemed with locals and tourists alike, and matched the homely qualities of other eating destinations of the era, such as Lindy's. In his recent book "The Devil's Playground," James Traub described how people would line up down the street to sample the trademark fried clams and ice cream.

In the '80s and '90s, the diner was still a viable enterprise, taking in tourist group after tourist group, who were attracted by the low prices and ample seating. In recent years, however, the crowds have died down. On any given night, the brown faux-leather booths sport only a smattering of patrons. The bar at the end of the place, with its sign encouraging patrons to order "a decanter of Manhattan, Martini or Daiquiri," is often deserted during the well advertised "happy hour."

Other old-time food emporiums like The Edison Cafe and McHale's have managed to hang on, in part because they do business on less prominent pieces of real estate. However, they have also managed to draw a loyal following among theatre professionals. Howard Johnson's is rarely frequented by the show people who work and live in the neighborhood. (Years ago, however, Gene Hackman worked as a maitre'd and Lily Tomlin was a waitress.)

Rubinstein is a member of an old New York real estate family. According to Traub's book, he has been looking to unload the property for some time, but was waiting for the right price.

The space above the restaurant housed The Gaiety, a strip club, for 30 years. The business recently closed.

Lucky,

I beg to differ, I heard Doorman NEO was at a romantic corner table with TONY TENDER for there last meal at the famous HO-JO's..

The picture VDN posted of the Dancers on the sidewalk.in the car and building windows alway brings a laugh...

I still dont understand why the two dancers from Chicago (bottom left)are always togeater in pics. (I WONDER)

Now its time for a NEW !

DENISE, are you listening ? :-)

Guest Fisher

Great post … great pics!

As many times over the past ten years that

I have been to the Gaiety, and as many times

that I have been to Hojos throughout my life,

I have been to this Hojo only twice. Each time

was with a Gaiety dancer (both were Canadian).

After a private show }( , I asked them if

they would like to get something to eat and

where they would like to go - they each chose

Hojos.

Cheers,

Fisher :7

>Lucky,

>I beg to differ, I heard Doorman NEO was at a romantic corner

>table with TONY TENDER for there last meal at the famous

>HO-JO's..

>

>The picture VDN posted of the Dancers on the sidewalk.in the

>car and building windows alway brings a laugh...

>I still dont understand why the two dancers from Chicago

>(bottom left)are always togeater in pics. (I WONDER)

>

>Now its time for a NEW !

>

>DENISE, are you listening ? :-)

You do realize that Neo directed the chef, Ben Versace, to cook up the evening's special Hungarian Goulash during our romantic candle-lite dinner that evening. :9

Archived