Best Places to Stay in Montreal

Txpaytoplay
This topic is 6938 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This may have been covered but I couldn't find it in the numberous threads I have read about Montreal.

What are the best places to stay in Montreal that is near all the bars...I guess in the village somewhere but where. Could I spend a long weekend there and not need a car to drive? Thanks

The Governeur is right on the edge of

the village is a nice hotel.

The Lord Berri is about --1/2 bolcks further

away is okay.

There are a few cheaper hotels and bed and

breakfast inside of the village.

However, you don't need to restrict yourself to

the village and you don't need a car. There are

3 metro stops within the village plus everything

you want to see in Montreal is at most a $7-$8 cab

drive away. I always bid on priceline and usually

get a pretty good rate for a nice hotel.

Enjoy Montreal! :9

Cheers,

Fisher :)

just got back from montreal. found a really nice, privately owned loft apartment for rent by the week. It was one block away from the Papineau metro station. Completely stocked kitchen, living room, dining room, bedroom, bathroom, two balconies, and NO ONE to watch or see who you bring back. AND best of all, it was comparable in price to what you will end up paying on Priceline (after taxes) for something like the Hyatt or Delta Montreal, which are much further away from the fun. Message me for the webpage.

I agree with Fisher, I almost always get a nice downtown hotel on priceline, expedia or hotwire for less than what the Gouverneur charges. I really find the Gouv. uncomfortable and unfriendly. My favorite is the Loews followed closely by the Omni. There's a lot to see downtown and its really easy to get to the bars by subway.

I'd like to cast my vote for the Gov. Dupuis, at the corner of Ste. Catherine Est and St. Hubert. There's a bank with ATM in the lobby, good meals in the restaurant, free breakfast buffet. You can get to the adjacent shopping center, food court, supermarket, and subway without going outside. Taxis are waiting outside, just below Ste. Catherine. Shopping just a few blocks west on Ste. Catherine.

It's less than 2 blocks from Campus and less than 3 blocks from Stock. The boys from Stock know exactly how to find the hotel, how to work the pay-per-view, etc.

I find the staff at Gov. Dupuis helpful and friendly.

There is a business center (for an extra daily fee) on the 30th floor with internet access, snacks, newspapers, magazine, and big screen TV.

Guest msclonly

Goveneur's Business level

On the Labor Day weekend arrival at the Goveneurs, the midrange room reserved was not ready and after a night of flying was ready for some zzzzz's! So I opted to spring for a Business level room, since I was planning on using the Internet in the Business office, which included some refreshments included with the price of the room. The Upgraded bath with the full enlarged shower was almost worth it by itself. The room is more comfortable, even if the room tarif is not.

Well, the Internet has a blocker on it for anything hinting of a sexual nature, but it was handy for Email and the stock market.

I saw several people 'raid' the refreshments and frig on different occasions, while I was on the computers.

Unfortunately, all this costs more then I pay at some Marriotts with upgrades.

:+ :+

I think it depends on what "level" room you rent, whether breakfast is free. Whenever I stayed at the Gouverneur, I was in the cheapest rooms--need I say more??-- and I received a coupon for $5 off the breakfast buffet. Has their policy changed? Or does the freebie come with the business class and up range of room.

I agree that the location is a big big plus for the Gouv.---especially in the colder months.

I also agree that it can be a pretty unfriendly place and although I like being "anonymous" while staying there, the "help" can be less than "helpful" at times.

at the Gov. Dupuis:

I also had the cheapest level of room, and I received a "$5 off breakfast buffet coupon." However, my waitress advised that the coupon covered the entire cost. I left her a $CN2 coin as a tip. I really enjoyed all their breakfast choices, and I also had dinner two nights in the same dining area.

I had trouble with my room key, and I also asked the concierage and desk staff for directions and recommendations. I found their responses helpful and polite. However, had I been able to speak French, I think their responses would have been even more helpful.

My main attraction to the Gov. Dupuis is the location. With cold weather, I like to be close to Campus and Stock.

Baltimore--

Interesting~~ I've not stayed at the Gouverneur in a couple of years, but I still go there to have the breakfast buffet with a friend and be entertained by a waiter named Ronald, who is very friendly and very accommodating. Since I have not had the coupon recently, I'll defer to your more recent experience--thanks for the update.

This weekend would be an ideal time to wander the streets of Montreal--sunny, bright and warm, cool nights---great time to cuddle with your favourite dancer or~~~~~

RE: Goveneur's Business level

Just for clarification, what is referred to as "Gov. Dupuis" is, I believe the Hotel Gouverneurs, located at "Place Dupuis", corner of St. Hubert and Ste. Catherine. They are one and the same.....I think. I don't recall any other high rise hotel at that location. Dov Dupuis and Hotel Gouverneurs are one and the same.

Guest msclonly

Hotel Goveneurs DuPupuis distinquishes it from the other Hotels in that chain and in Montreal area.

;)

I dont know about the shuttle, but it does have room service, but not available on Sunday...limited hours til about 11:30pm

I booked with travelocity and got the price of $110 USD per night, but when I got there, the Hotel would not honor the price and told me that I must have said I was a government employee cause that price is only available to them. Bottom line...I had to shed some fake tears and basically be very polite, but also just stay at the receptionist desk until they offered me a rate that was about $115 per night. Travelocity said parking was free but it wasnt, but you are flying so its all good.

$135 Canadian seemed to be the best rate you could get with a number of other rates around $159 CND

However the hotel has a pool and a gym and it is a nice hotel...I love coffee makers in the room...staff was pretty nice although I was not happy about traveloshitty but I wrote them a note saying they suck (not really but I told them what happened...have yet to hear back)

Guest msclonly

No shuttle to anywhere, and the airport is too far fpr a hotel van.

The airport bus drops you off at the Bus station at the second stop, one small block away. Under $20.00 roungtrip! As good as a Taxi, service wise!

Airport ticket booth and bus pickup is right outside the Customs Exit!

Try it, you'll like it!

:+

"Does the governor have shuttle to the airport. What are it's

rates. Is there roomservice there?"

The rates range from $134-174 (Canadian) plus tax... Btw, the US$ is getting weaker by the day.

Yes, there is room service.

Archived