Disaster at Stock

LustinGuy
This topic is 6727 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm very sad to report that there was a major fire this morning in the building that houses the Stock Bar in Montreal. From what I've been told, the fire originated in some equipment being used by a ventilation technician whicj sparked the fire. The flames were limited to the Unity club upstairs but there is likely substantial water and smoke damage downstairs at Stock. I expressed my regards to the owner who was standing outside with a half dozen dancers and he said he's committed to reopening as soon as possible. My best wishes to all the Stock dancers and staff during this difficult time. I expect many of our members here will be able to help with the lost income during the closure.

I spoke to Dancer Ricky tonite and he told me that the owner is telling the dancers he expects to be reopened within a few weeks or relocated into a temporary location very soon.

(the old westside?)

Lets keep our finger crossed that the club had good insurance and will return to full operation soon.

Sad and Mad again.....

It was very sad when I got home this afternoon around 2pm (I only live about 2 blocks from the Stock). An hour earlier I was working at l'Île des Soeurs (Nun's Island--one of the small islands in the middle of the St-Laurence River), and could see the smoke billowing from a very large fire near my apartment. Little did I know that my favorite bar was on fire. Unfortunately, the building which houses Unity Bar above and Stock bar below is pretty much totaled. The only way the Stock bar can open any time soon will be for it to move to another location. I know that the dancers were looking forward to the summer season, especially with the OutGames coming in June. These guys are my friends (around 40 dancers or so), so I feel very bad for them. Tonight, many of them were at the Campus looking for work. My heart really goes out to them and to Sylvain, the owner. There are still three other dancer bars (Stock, Adonis, Taboo), so I hope people will come out and support the dancers during this difficult time. Hopefully, the Stock will be back soon (at another location). They deserve our support (some have families to support, all have bills to pay). I hope that the other dancer bars in Montreal can offer them employment until the Stock gets back on its feet.

L'Stock has always been my favorite MTL club, mainly because many of the dancers who work there have also danced at the Gaiety in NY. So, when the news of the fire was reported by Lustin Guy, it was quite disturbing... It's understandable that right now no one knows for certain what the future will hold for L'Stock. I hope it will either reopen soon or find a new location... I appreciate Erick's report that some of these dancers are currently looking for employment at other clubs, hopefully, this unexpected interruption won't be too difficult on them and the other employees of L'Stock... To those in the know, please keep us updated.

A sad day for Sylvain, the dancers, staff and those of us who enjoy

that place. My thoughts go out for a positive and quick remedy to the woes caused by this event. I saw on the CBC website that more than 150

firefighters were on site at one point to fight the blaze and the village filled with smoke. I'm heading there myself in 10 days and hope

to see some of the guys finding a temporary home in the remaining

clubs. It will be strange to not visit Stock. (I wonder if the

old building on St. Andre is still vacant and a possible replacement

in the short run?) Thanks to the local folks for keeping us updated.

Yikes! I have a trip to Montreal planned for this upcoming weekend. A few hours each evening at the Stock is one of the reasons I make these trips to Montreal -- although it's not really sitting at the bar that I look forward to. It's the backroom dances, and even more, the private get togethers in my hotel room that can follow. The Campus is good in the afternon, but I've never been too fond of the night shift dancers. The Adonis and Taboo dancers usually don't meet my fancy like the Stock guys do. I'm all in a tizzy. What do I do? Cancel the trip or go?

I saw the following Stock guys at Campus yesterday (presumably trying to get a job):

Michael

Dale

Sammy

Samuel

Jackson

Daniel

Eddy

Nick

Steve

I'm sure there are a couple others I'm forgetting at the moment; and there will probably be more today.

But the Campus management is being selective and saying they can't take in that many guys. They have to audition and not all will be accepted.

Also... brothers Jay and Brandon (and probably several others) will be dancing at Adonis.

>The Campus is good in the

>afternon, but I've never been too fond of the night shift

>dancers. The Adonis and Taboo dancers usually don't meet my

>fancy like the Stock guys do. I'm all in a tizzy. What do I

>do? Cancel the trip or go?

The Campus nightshift guys are still there and protecting their turf. I doubt you'll see more than 4-5 Stock dancers on a given night (and very few of the superstars). If I'm really being true to the mission of this site (to help us all be smarter customers), I have to suggest that you might want to consider postponing your trip by a few weeks until Stock can get back on its feet. (I've heard a lot of talk about an alternate location.) Yes, our favorite dancers do need us but in fairness to our fellow Hoovillians I have to say that next weekend will not be the same Montreal experience you are used to.

All of you who are wondering whether or not to come up to Montreal after the Stock fire have nothing to worry about. Practically EVERY dancer from the Stock is now working at the Campus or the Adonis. The Campus has taken in every Stock dancer that has showed up at its doors (which is now most of them). A few have ended up at the Adonis. In the next few days, the rest will probably be joining them. So if you're hoping to see your favorite dancer, no need to worry. Just go to the Campus or the Adonis and you'll most likely see them there. It's nice to see that this really is a little community that takes care of its own. And guess what, now the Stock dancers are dancing for $10 a dance like everyone else. So don't change your plans, just come on up and enjoy yourselves. This is the beginning of the summer season, so most of the dancers will probably stick around at their new home base.

I was out of town for the weekend and just returned today to see the damage that has occured to Le Stock as a result of the fire. Firemen were continuing to clean up today and there was a goodlooking stud at the open door as I was peering in so he said to go in and take a look. The place was reeking of smoke and the floors were wet with a gray ash mixed in. Large sections of the ceiling had collapsed, particularly over the front section closest to the street. I didn't see any direct fire damage in the club but I imagine the water has done tremendous damage behind the walls and ceilings.

The man who I didn't identify but must be a club employee or owner was quite cheerful and said the club would be completely rebuilt. That, I imagine, will take some time, since the upper floors sustained much heavier damage (whole sections are completely burnt away). I would say the club will not reopen at least at those premises until late in the year.

I don't think either the old location is available anymore nor the Westside, which has become a female stripper bar and has some new owners involved. I don't know the licensing requirements but I'm not sure it would be an easy matter to relocate the bar temporarily since a special licence is required to operate a stripper bar and these are tightly regulated. It is lucky that there are 3 other stripper clubs that these guys can work at. In most other places a fire such as this would wipe out the stripper action altogether.

A former dancer told me last night that Le Stock will relocate to the building on Ste Catherine beside the Pharmaprix drugstore near Le Gouvernor Hotel which is currently used for special events. This is about 4 blocks west of the current location at Montcalm and Ste Catherine. The new location would not require a lot of alterations to make it a stripper dance club (installation of private booths etc) and could be up and running soon. I was also told that the owner has decided to make this relocation permanent. I don't know how true all this info is but the person who passed it on has many contacts in all the clubs and is fairly abreast of developments.

Archived