Update on the Stock

erick
This topic is 6721 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Stock staff had a meeting with the dancers last night around 7:30pm at the Circus after hours dance club on Ste-Catherine (corner of St-André, above Pharmaprix). They were told that the Stock will try to reopen in around 20 days at another location (possibly the banquet hall below the Circus dance club) and that they plan to rebuild the old place and reopen there sometime around the middle of July. (This was the news that multiple dancers conveyed to me).

I am happy to hear that the Stock management intend to rebuild. I say this because I am a neighbour and Stock did a lot to improve that building since they moved in. I only went into the Unity Club once and swore I would never return as it is a virtual firetrap (narrow stairways and few exits). On the other hand, Stock has huge windows and if there was ever a fire you would just have to step outside.

I think they are being a little optimistic about reopening in mid-July at the old location. The upper floors really sustained a lot of damage and I can't see that being rebuilt in 2 1/2 months. But, we'll see.

Just talked to Jean-Philippe, the Stock's manager, and he assures me that they are working as fast as possible to get the Stock reopened to be ready for the summer season. I can only wish them the best since the Stock has always been my favorite dancer bar and I look forward to it being back.

It was definitely a gay dance club (it and Parking were the most popular gay dance clubs that were not an after hours club -- of course, Parking will now only be more popular). It had a main dance floor on the first level (above the Stock), that catered mostly to the gym-muscled gay boys in their late 20's and 30's (and into their 40's). The top floor had a smaller dance area and big bar that were popular with gay twinks -- really, really young. During the summer, the roof served as a popular terrace. Overall, it was a fun place for the young and the muscled. I really liked the music on the twink floor.

I walk by Stock every day as it is just at the corner of my street. Two days ago they had a workman trying to take apart some of the ceiling that had dropped onto the floor near the front windows. It was pathetic watching him try to smash a 2X6 with a small hatchet. After a while, he gave up and wandered off. If this is the way they are going to reconstruct, I wish them well.Yesterday, there was no sign of activity at all (maybe they are looking for someone who actually knows what he is doing).

I don't know whether the fire department has finished their investigation into what caused the fire. I have heard rumours that it was arson but heard of no evidence to sunstantiate this. In any case, I can see why they would want to reopen the bar for the summer season and particularly for the Outgames but I think it will take a small miracle to achieve that.

I also thought the tone of the 'Tiger News Update' was rather lighthearted given the circumstances. (I suppose it's preferable

to laugh at misfortune than stress about it...)

Incidentally, I just checked the nudemaledancers.com site and it was not there. Apparently, the domain has expired. I didn't have but a few days

left on the membership anyway, but I was enjoying some of the older replays on the site. I hope it returns with the new club in July.

Since I last reported two days ago there has been a fair amount of activity at Le Stock. The fire department has been there both days so I would assume they are continuing their investigation. The rumours persist that the fire had criminal origins but have heard nothing official yet. Moving vans were taking out equipment and other things salvaged from the debris.

There is a huge gaping hole in the roof that covers at least 20 or 30 percent of the building. The entire upper floor looks ruined and I imagine they are going to have to tear down to the second level to rebuild. That is why I think it unrealistic that it will be reopened by July but that is just my opinion.

There was a fire of similar magnitude just up the street in a new three story condo last January and the rebuilding there is in progress but won't be completed until the fall. They have had to tear down to the first floor before rebuilding.

>Where will Big Head strut his stuff and shake his booty now

>that Stock is gone for some time?

well i think hell try to roll to CAMPUS and do dances and spin with the straw why? is he juicing it makes u look older is this an attenpt to get a bf i donno gotta go flammy boy:+

[image]HTTP://www.computer-guru.com/images/BOZO.GIF[/image]

******BOZO T CLOWN******

BOZO THINKS OUR "HERO", BELOVED BY ALL STOCK DANCERS, DOESN'T GET THE CREDIT HE DESERVES. AFTER ALL, WHEN HE STANDS AT THE CORNER OF THE BAR AND SPINS AROUND LIKE A TOP, AND TWIRLS LIKE A WHIRLING DERVISH, IT MAKES EVEN THE WORST OF THE STOCK DANCERS WITH NO RHYTHM AND 2 LEFT FEET LOOK LIKE NIJINSKY.

PASS THE BARF BAG, PLEASE.........

B :+ Z :+

Archived