STOCK Update

Guest YFSC
This topic is 6653 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest YFSC

Well, on Sunday (7/2) and Monday not much seemed to be going on at Stock or to have progressed beyond the news here of a while ago.

As has been reported here before, the outside brick work and windows on the upper floors is complete and looks fine. I couldn't see into the 3rd floor windows, but some of the 2nd floor was visible, and, of course, the first floor. Both of those were far from completion. Bare studs around the external walls (no, not the kind usually found at Stock, the construction kind), no interior partitions, no wallboard, etc. Work might not be expected on Sunday (although if they wanted to make a big push I'm sure it would have been possible), but there was nothing going on on Monday either, at least for most of the day. As I said, the downstairs (=Stock) was just one big empty space taking up the whole area of the building. No partitions or framing for partitions, no walls, no ceiling, no usable floor, etc. Just bare studs around the exterior walls. Some of the big windows on the sidewalk are boarded up, others are broken, including some of the ones with lettering. Lots of work left to do.

Then on Monday afternoon (yesterday) probably around 3 or 4pm a truck arrived delivering over 150 sheets of 4'x12' wallboard and other supplies, which were hoisted up to the 2nd floor with a crane and taken in through a window. I came upon this around 4pm while walking over to Campus a block away. (I was glad to see the supplies being delivered, but even gladder to see the 2 delivery men, who were HOTT. So the excuse of watching the construction process allowed me to stop for a while and gawk at the delivery guys.) When I came out of Campus at about 6:30 they were just finishing up the delivery.

Now today (Tuesday) Lo! there are workmen feverishly working away on the first floor, and in the morning they must have delivered 2 more truckloads of materials for the first floor, since there were over 300 wallboard panels and other supplies in there, which had not been there last night. (I had last checked when going by at around midnight. They leave lights on at night, and the inside was still a bare empty space.) There was also a truck parked outside delivering huge amounts of fiberglass insulation.

They obviously are anxious to be open in time for the Outgames, which start on July 26. That's presumably the reason for the July 19 target date (1 week earlier, to allow for getting things running smoothly and fixing up last minute things). But it still seems touch and go, since there is a lot of work to do and only 2 weeks to do it, even if they have managed to get around the construction holiday that Luv2 describes. They still have to put in a ceiling, put in a floor, frame out the internal partitions, put up wallboard, spackle and finish, paint and decorate, build the bathrooms and put in plumbing, build the bar(s), private booths, office, build the stage, DJ booth, put in audio and video... get the idea? But if they put people on overtime, get a waiver for the holiday, and work 24/7 they might be able to do it. With anything less it seems very hard indeed.

Be that as it may, though, the Montreal police don't seem to be too impressed with the urgency of finishing the construction. Two cars were parked on the street around the corner and had big signs on their windshields saying that they were working at Unity II (the upstairs of Stock). They were parked on the "wrong" side of the street for today during the forbidden hour (Montreal has alternate side of the street parking like NY) and when I went by today after the forbidden hour they were sporting big parking tickets right next to their big Working at Unity II signs.

Guest YFSC

Last night (Tues) at about 11:30 pm the Stock area was deserted, but there was work going on on the second floor. From the sounds it appeared to be putting up wallboard.

Today again there is a small army of workmen on the first floor. Some of the internal framing is up, and they are installing the ceiling -- two layers of wallboard.

Wallboard goes up quickly, but then there's all the other stuff and the finishing. It won't be easy, but if they keep their asses moving, and if they have all the different trades already committed to a schedule, and if they agree to do some night work if necessary, they just might make it by the 19th, or maybe a couple of days later.

YFSC,

Thanks for the great news.....It sounds like things are moving along as expected. The latest TIGER Video was shot indie of Stock and at the location that all of the interior fixtures were built.

There is progress....

You mention a "small army of contractors". Any future dancers in that pack of contractors?

I wonder what I will spend my $60.00 prize on??? $$$

"When JT speaks we all should listen attentively, he is a very

wise individual"

I just got back after being away 5 days and the work on Stock has progressed somewhat but as others have described, the interior is still largely bare to the exposed studs (no pun intended). I heard a workman say to a dancer who had just skated by (he was a very muscled guy with dark tan) that they hoped to be finished by the 22nd. That's two and a half weeks. I don't see that as possible but who knows!

Guest YFSC

>You mention a "small army of contractors". Any future dancers

>in that pack of contractors?

Dunno who has designs on being a dancer in the future, but so far I've seen few if any that I would hire. And they all have shirts etc. on.

Now, the 2 delivery guys that brought the wallboard... that's something else. :9 }(

Guest YFSC

No signs of work going on on Wed evening, either upstairs or down.

Today (Thurs) in the downstairs they have put in more (most? all?) internal framing, some electrical cables, and more of the ceiling,

but it's still pretty bare inside, and it seems to be a lot less than could have been done in a day if they were really trying to push it. As in, it seems like they could have done more if they were in a hurry.

It's quite possible that some components like the bars, stage, etc. are being built offsite and will be delivered and installed, rather than being built onsite. That would save some time and would be progress being made now that's not visible at the site.

On va voir.

Guest YFSC

Work proceeds, but not especially quickly.

No work activity last night.

The workmen seem to start at about 7 (no, I'm not there at 7) and knock off at about 3pm. Nothing going on after about 3. If the Stock owner were in more of a hurry he would probably be paying overtime for a longer workday. Since they obviously want to be open for the Outgames, that must mean that they are confident of finishing on time even with a regular workday, at least for now. Anything is possible, I guess.

The internal framing is up, and about half of the ceiling (unfinished wallboard). But no walls yet. Today they are also running electrical cables and other things that have to go in before the walls are closed.

Guest msclonly

They can use left over 2x4's and plaster board for a bar.

Perhaps some of the old chairs were salvaged.

It would be nice to have a good bar with COMFORTABLE seats for change. Those worn out padding small seats are a real pain in the a$$! Strange but they are the norm for all the show bars around the world!

;(

>Any updates after the past weekend?

Just what I am about to do...

>Question: When do the Gay Games begin in Montreal and when do

>they end?

July 26 to Aug 2 (This is from memory but I think it's correct.)

RE: STOCK Update after the weekend

Well, on Friday as I said before they had a small army of workers and there was a fair amount of inside work.

There were vans from 2 different plumbers parked in front, but they must have been doing preparatory work in the basement because no plumbing work was visible on the first floor.

The sign people were there welding a framework for the outside sign, and the damaged large windows on the first floor were replaced with new glass.

But they had again knocked off work by about 2:30-3:00. Wasn't very encouraging.

Then shortly afterward someone (the mgt.?) put up paper on the inside of the windows so that you couldn't see inside any more. I can't imagine any construction reason for doing that. Maybe it was for security reasons (but there was nothing inside to steal, except for many boxes of floor tiles, drywall panels, etc.), or maybe it was because someone in the Stock mgt. reads this forum and didn't like the progress reports that were appearing here (not sure why that would bother them, and it's good hype for the bar), or didn't like the remarks that they were moving slowly and could/should put people on overtime.

But fear not, dear readers, nothing can stop the all-seeing eye and the freedom of information. Read on.

On Saturday there didn't seem to be any evidence of work going on inside, although the sign people painted the sign framework and some other metal parts of the facade with shiny silver paint. But on Sunday, Lo! there was work inside, both in Stock and on the second floor. Not many workers, but still work. It appeared to be putting up wallboard. I'd like to think that the mgt. took the hint to start extra shifts/overtime from your intrepid reporter, but I suppose they were probably planning to start doing that all along.

Now today (Monday) there are subcontractors' vans parked all around the building on Ste. Catherine and Montcalm. There were 9 when I was there, maybe more before or after. The same 2 plumbers, HVAC, electrical, alarm, signage, etc. All different trades apparently working at once. The signers were putting up the big UNITY II letters outside. The wallboard is up and spackled in the half where the celing had been finished. But not much seems to have happened in the other half yet, no ceiling either.

They appear to have redesigned the place and changed the layout significantly, because at least some of the partitions are not where they used to be, especially around the entrance. It looks like the main area will be arranged north-south, instead of east-west as it used to be. Entering will be different too. And it's not yet clear what will become of the large area that is still basically unworked on. (Maybe that's going to be the office and non-customer area, and so they are concentrating on the customer area in order to get that finished more quickly...? They can start operating with that area even totally unfinished, as long as the public areas are done.)

So with all the work going on now, they just might make it close to the target date, even though there's only a week or so left. Especially if they continue having overtime work. It remains to be seen later today if they will be working after 3pm.

So pretty soon now I'll be ready to enter my guess in the pool. :7 :+

Stay tuned.

YFSC~~~

BIG, BIG thanks for your detailed report---I feel as though I am peepinmg through the windows on St. Catherine. It all sounds great---and now I can plan my next visit. Keep up the great work.

ONE OF BOZO'S FELLOW CIRCUS PERFORMERS WAS IN MONTREAL THIS PAST WEEKEND AND SENT BOZO THESE PICS OF STOCK BAR.

LOTS OF PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE SINCE BOZO'S VISIT LAST MONTH, HOWEVER, WHETHER ENOUGH PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE TO ENABLE THE BAR TO RE-OPEN NEXT WEEK

IS STILL QUESTIONABLE.

[image]http://www.computer-guru.com/images/BOZO.GIF[/image]

******BOZO T CLOWN******

STOCK PICS AS OF JULY 9, 2006:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/abp01/IMG_1027-1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/abp01/IMG_1023.jpg

B :+ Z :+

>ONE OF BOZO'S FELLOW CIRCUS PERFORMERS WAS IN MONTREAL THIS

>PAST WEEKEND AND SENT BOZO THESE PICS OF STOCK BAR.

>LOTS OF PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE SINCE BOZO'S VISIT LAST MONTH,

>HOWEVER, WHETHER ENOUGH PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE TO ENABLE THE

>BAR TO RE-OPEN NEXT WEEK IS STILL QUESTIONABLE.

A *LOT* has happened since July 9. That inside photo no longer bears any resemblance to the actual place.

But it's unlikely that they can finish the rest in just a few days.

Well, in the past few days they have done a lot more.

The ceiling and walls have been put up in the other half of the inside.

Tuesday (maybe Wednesday? All the days seem to blend together here) they delivered various fixtures - toilets (they looked like the old ones salvaged from before and stored, and the truck was a rental, not from a supply house), large wooden box-like constructs that appear to be for the stage, and some other stuff.

Wed. they were laying the floor in the entryway (not yet in the main area), and Thurs they put up large ugly brown tiles (about 12x12) and some strips of smaller tiles (1x1) that are supposed to be decorative on the walls of the entryway. It looks like a 50's bathroom. Chacun a son gout, as they say here, but I don't think the FAB 5 would approve.

They have redesigned the inside considerably. As it appears now, there won't be a curtained-off part in the front for day use with the sidewalk windows open. Upon entering you can go only immediately to the left, past a window which will presumably be for the coat-check, etc, and then into the main area. The large box-like constructs have been put into the area immediately adjacent to the windows. Maybe they are just being stored there so they will be out of the way, but it looks like they have been installed there, and they are not piled on top of each other. So according to the way it looks now, the stage will be at the extreme south, up against the windows, and the seating area will be to the north of that. Like at Taboo: as you enter the stage the first thing on your left, and you go beyond it to get to the seating area and bar. (Maybe the Stock mgt is trying to copy Taboo?? :7 :+ ) The bar will be rectangular, accessible on all 4 sides, in the middle of the main area.

The rough work seems to be basically done, and most of what remains is the finishing work: finishing the stage (right now it's unfinished plywood; they will probably install hardwood flooring over it), painting, decorating, etc. Those little touches that make the place feel like home, such as the pictures of naked men, etc. But the floor still has to be laid in the main area, the booths for privates don't seem to have been partitioned off yet, etc. And then there is bringing in all the things that a bar needs and arranging them: tables, chairs, glassware, bottled supplies, etc. It's still a lot of work, and it's hard to imagine that they will finish it all in time, but if they work extended hours they might get it done.

But, dear readers, you will have to depend on another reporter after this, since my time in this hell-hole ( LOL :+ ) is almost up.

YFSC: Thanks for your regular and very thorough updates on the progress being made at Stock. Your information is most appreciated by those of us with upcoming summer trips to MTL... Hope your stay went well.

Cooper

Thanks a lot for the many detailed updates! They've been very valuable to me since I am headed up to Montreal on Tuesday. I will try (hopefully with help from Taz) to post a similar level of detail next week leading up to the scheduled re-opening! My fingers are crossed!

Archived