Cooper's Absence Explained

Lucky
This topic is 6530 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Many here were shocked when tazmanian revealed that Cooper did not show Sunday night at Club 20. Yet the real truth about Cooper's whereabouts and his startling reason for not showing are now coming to light.

It appears that Cooper was asked to be the main speaker at a Seattle rally to fight a proposed ordinance that would severely restrict lap dances in Seattle. No local lap dance patrons were willing to come out of the closet to stop this hideous law from passing, so Cooper stood up, and, apparently, kicked in $850,000 of his own money to fight the ordinance. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer tells the story:

In city's strip club debate, many keep their distance

But $850,000 spent to defeat 4-foot rule

By ANGELA GALLOWAY

P-I REPORTER

It's a battle without soldiers, or even a common battlefield.

On one side: strip clubs with a war chest of nearly $1 million but no champion, even among politicians who agree with them. [No champion, that is, until the country's foremost lap dance expert came in from New York.]

On the other: politicos who would rather talk about guilt-by-association allegations than the laws they are promoting and who lack backing from any campaign committee.

To keep "adult cabarets" out of business in Seattle, Mayor Greg Nickels and some on the City Council want to impose rules stricter than those in many American cities. Seattle's three existing clubs have sunk more than $850,000 into their Nov. 7 referendum to block the rules.

It's one of the costliest elections in city history. And yet it has few advocates.

"It's not the kind of issue people are going to march on City Hall over," said Tim Killian, manager of the clubs' campaign to defeat Referendum 1. "It's not the kind of issue people feel comfortable talking about."

The regulations would require that clubs be lighted as brightly as a typical office and forbid customers from handing tips directly to dancers. They also would prohibit strippers from getting within four feet of patrons, effectively outlawing lap dances.

Most of Seattle's suburbs have similar no-touching rules. But the restrictions would be considerably more stringent than many of the nation's large cities. The rules have not been implemented pending the outcome of the election. A yes vote on Referendum 1 would approve the codes; a no vote rejects them.

Nickels and five of nine council members approved the rules last fall in the wake of a federal court ruling that Seattle's 17-year "moratorium" on new clubs was unconstitutional.

The ruling leaves little in Seattle laws to regulate the establishment of new clubs. They are allowed in nearly any Seattle business district under the same standards as other performing arts theaters, officials say.

The clubs say the city should address their concerns with zoning, not "policing" the morality of their patrons.

"Why is the City Council spending its time to put strip clubs out of business?" Killian said. "It's not the clubs' fault that the city has failed to enact proper and appropriate zoning rules."

Nickels is the most prominent defender of the conduct codes. The mayor says he supports them because they will undermine the profitability of strip clubs, which he accuses of being tied to organized crime. When asked for evidence for that charge, Nickels points to a scandal several years ago when one club allegedly attempted to influence council votes to help it build a parking lot.

"It's what they call mudslinging," Gil Levy, attorney for a Lake City club called Rick's, said recently.

And the City Council has similarly accused the clubs of being universally linked to bad elements.

The "four-foot rule" ordinance itself alleges that the adult entertainment industry has "historically and regularly been accompanied by ... prostitution and other criminal behavior ... detrimental to the public health, safety and general welfare of the citizens of Seattle."

Killian countered that the council has offered no proof to back up such aspersions.

Indeed, the Seattle Planning Commission noted in a report to the council this fall that "there have been no local studies conducted by (or solicited by) the city to quantify actual statistics relating to the perceived nuisances, crime or decreased property values associated with adult uses." The commission did, however, acknowledge that other cities have found such problems.

"I know there's a lot of argument over is there a real impact versus the perception. (But) people take that perception pretty darned seriously," said Councilwoman Sally Clark, who was not on the council when the rules were approved but supports them. "I don't think that makes me a prudish person," she said. "It's really more of hearing from (residents) who are not wild about there being a proliferation of clubs."

Still, no council member has made a point to speak out on either side of Referendum 1.

"I'm probably the one who proposed the four-foot rule," said Councilman Richard McIver, who sponsored the legislation. "However, I'm not sure I would be overly concerned if we lost it."

Members who voted against the rules are taking a similar laissez-faire approach.

"My concern (is) for the First Amendment and also for my feeling that too often we have men telling women what they can do with their own bodies," Councilwoman Jean Godden said. "But I'm not campaigning one way or the other. We have other things which are much more important."

Still, the clubs managed to let voters know some on the City Council sided with them. In television and direct mail advertisements, they quote members speaking against the rules during a 2005 council meeting.

Seattle's current rules allow strippers only to be nude while on a stage that's at least six feet from patrons and 18 inches high. While offstage, dancers in Seattle are not allowed to touch customers' genitals or accept tips from them in advance to a private or lap dance.

And city rules require clubs be lighted sufficiently to make the public areas "plainly visible."

Four-foot rules exist in Bellevue, Everett, Federal Way, Kirkland, Lake Forest Park and Tacoma, according to city reports. Burien requires dancers to be at least 10 feet away from patrons, while Renton prohibits off-stage performances altogether.

Cities that don't ban dancers from getting near customers include Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and San Diego, according to another city report. Los Angeles and Portland also lack such rules, officials in those cities said.

Seattle officials identified only a couple of major cities that prohibit strippers from accepting tips.

However, it's a little dicey to compare rules in various cities because there are countless other cabaret business factors. For example, Washington state law prohibits alcohol in strip clubs, which is not true in many other cities and states.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: Four Foot Fails

Seattle lap dance patrons won a big one! Now they need a gay place to play:

4-foot rule's defeat means Seattle reverts to old law

By Jim Brunner

Seattle Times staff reporter

It looks like lap dances will remain legal in Seattle.

With a no vote on Seattle Referendum 1, voters were firmly rejecting the city's "four-foot rule," which would have banned lap dances by requiring exotic dancers and customers to keep their distance.

The rule was part of a strict new strip-club ordinance approved by the Seattle City Council last year. The ordinance also would have banned direct tipping of dancers, forced clubs to install brighter lights and prohibited private dances some clubs offer in "VIP" rooms or booths.

Such regulations are common in more conservative suburbs. But they apparently went against the grain of Seattle's urban electorate.

"I think Seattle is more open-minded and liberal than our politicians give us credit for being," said Tim Killian, campaign manager for Seattle Citizens for Free Speech, the strip-club-funded campaign to overturn the rules, which were not being enforced pending the vote. The campaign was as lopsided as any in Seattle history, with clubs raising $866,000 for the effort to overturn the four-foot rule; supporters of the rule raised nothing. The clubs used the money to pay for TV ads portraying supporters of the ordinance as moral scolds.

Supporters of stricter rules, including Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels, had argued that the laws would allow police to more easily inspect clubs and spot illegal activities. But the city produced little evidence to suggest that strip clubs cause significant crime problems.

Tuesday's result could lead to new strip clubs opening in the city for the first time in decades. The city had a moratorium on new clubs for 17 years, but it was ruled illegal last year.

Nickels said the defeat of the rules creates "a financial motive to have strip clubs in the city." He has proposed zoning that would limit new clubs to an industrial part of South Seattle.

The defeat of the rule means the city will revert to its old law, which prohibits sexual contact and displays of nudity offstage in clubs.

RE: Taz Marries Denise

Taz, so sorry to hear that you think the strip club forum is dead. Yet this thread alone has almost 300 views, so guys are here looking for something interesting to read. The other side of the coin is that they have to post something too, or ultimately there will be nothing to read.

Your own posts have diminished a bit. How about some more news on the Stock bar and your visit to Montreal? How about your list of favorites from Club 20? How about the negotiations you are conducting to buy Club 20 and make it gay every night? Oh, so that was a bit of a stretch...

Anyway, Cooper saved the day in Seattle. But it is up to all of us to save the strip club forum. So get posting, guys.

RE: Rumors

Lucky, That was Anderson Cooper in Seattle, not me. :-) Thanks for the information, I guess our Seattle friends are too busy doing lap dances to post any reports.

Taz, Never say die.... and please keep us posted on your current negotiations on the 20 Club. You'd make a wonderful owner.

RE: Rumors

Silly Rumor....

I have NO interest in buying or being involved with club 20....

I like being a customer thats it.

NY isnt a gay friendly city, its one of the last places I would consider being involved in a gay strip club.

Str8 cops and gay customers doing lap dances doesnt mix well.

The real question is how did you do at the NY Marathon ? ?

http://www.northamericanbodies.com/images/models/gioprofile.jpg

RE: Rumors Run Rampant

"NY isnt a gay friendly city, its one of the last places I would consider being involved in a gay strip club."

Well, then, what cities are you considering? Should I be looking for Club Taz in Palm Springs???

RE: Rumors Continue to Run Rampant about Club Taz

Yes, very funny...

If Taz should ever open his own club, I don't think he'd have any problem soliciting dancers. I understand he's already signed former Stock dancer Sammy to an exclusive 5 year contract and has Wesley performing on tape in some tropical location. As for Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, he might be a challenge esp. in NYC, however, I'm sure some nice guy who likes them big will come to his rescue. :-)

>what other cities would be good for additional locations of

>the chain, Club Taz? Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Chicago,

>Washington? Sounds like a great plan.

A "Stock USA" would be purrrrfect. Where is the question.

Some inside information tells me that Florida might be the place.

Iam waiting for more information.

http://www.northamericanbodies.com/images/models/gioprofile.jpg

Cooper! It's risky to mention legends around here...you know how touchy people can get. Are you trying to start a fight!? :)

But all right, since you asked.

I'm being very stingy with my votes for Stock legend. It's no good if everyone is given that award. So, I've only voted (in the Stock Forum) for two people:

1. Daniel; He's still going strong and still looking great, especially with the recent improvements in his physique. As far as I know, he's the only dancer still dancing who started at the original Stock.

2. René; Another original Stock dancer, who is, unfortunately for me, no longer dancing. I'm voting for him because of his history with Stock and because he was my first dancer.

Regarding Mr. Stock 2006, I think Maxime should get it this year, although I doubt he will. He would make a great representative for the club.

I would like to see Aaron win for best ass.

I haven't heard anything about dividers between the urinals. Are they putting curtains in there too? :)

...Hoover

RE: Four Foot Fails

True, but when the Gaiety was still alive and hopping, this forum had numerous postings and responses daily about the goings-on at the Gaiety. I miss reading all that; it was educational and helped plan my trips to NYC. I knew which dancers not to waste my time with, etc.

http://www.thefanzine.com/img/articles/8/62/02_OldNY_gaiety.jpg

"Cooper! It's risky to mention legends around here...you know how touchy people can get. Are you trying to start a fight!?"

Hoover, Me trying to start a "fight"? No way, I'm a peace loving person. However, if you're looking for a fight, I'd be careful what you say about Daniel. :-)

"Regarding Mr. Stock 2006, I think Maxime should get it this year, although I doubt he will."

Sorry, but he's already spoken for.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7411/janv2006509rp9.jpg

Archived