Af 447

KMEM
This topic is 4640 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is a subject not only being bandied about the general news media but the aviation community media as well. It has been a subject of conversation throughout my career. From the "over reliance on George", meaning the autopilot to the old joke about airline pilots using the rudder pedals for foot rests. The bottom line consists of two things: one, knowing your aircraft and its' systems and, two, practice.

That means practice using the technology available but also practicing not having it available. Once or twice a year during recurrent training is not enough. Knowing your aircraft and its' systems should be obvious.

Do you know how your car and its' systems work? Would you be a safer driver if you did?

Best regards,

KMEM

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChgoBoy

The Basics lost within the techonology

Stall recovery 101 which is taught to every 16 year old student learning to fly (including myself with a crap-stain in my pants afterward because of it) is over-looked by professional airline pilots. I'm sure that the law-suits will really begin pouring in now. I can only hope and pray that the actual audio from the box which this text was taken from of this flight will never be released to the public. I'm confident that it wont be.

Pilot Incompetence can be the only conclusion taken way from such a correctable, in-flight event such as this. Stall recovery of this airliner was doomed from the moment this cockpit's real-time pilots took hands-on control of this aircraft.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/world/americas/af447-transcript/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Archived