Breaking News: L'ADONIS CLOSES and other news from Ste. Catherine est

Guest YFSC
This topic is 5543 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest YFSC

L'adonis closed for good last night (Sun 7/5).

The closure was not announced in advance. It was announced on Sunday that that would be the last day.

It was known that the owner was trying to sell it for a few years, but nothing happened. Then an offer came in and the deal was closed, apparently late yesterday afternoon. The transfer is immediate, and the dancers were notified that night that it would be the last day and that at the usual 3am closing time L'adonis would close for good.

Rumor has it that the new owner wants to turn the bar into a muscle strip bar, of the sort that Stock used to be. The name will be changed. Alterations need to be made inside, and the new bar needs to be open for gay pride in August, thus the sudden closing on Sunday.

Changes have been taking place at Taboo too, and rumor has it that the name will be changed there as well, but it will not close or change its type of dancer, although that has been slowly evolving over the last several months. There is more to what is going on there too. I will post more about Taboo and other things in a few days.

Maybe some of the Montrealers know more about the situation and can help to enlighten us.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "news" that L'Adonis was going to close was all over the Village the last week in June. I heard it from dancers, waiters, and bartenders at several clubs. All told me "everyone" knew this and had known it for some time. And none of them knew exactly when the closing was supposed to happen.

OH wow, scratch that. They must have changed the site in the past hour.

An hour ago they had an announcement saying that the club is open.

They just changed it.

Wow.

Jeez, my timing for a visit was pretty good!!!

I just tried to find a cached version of that announcement I was referring to, but it seems the pages have already been removed from the server.

Wow, this is seriously depressing! That was the best club going. (Obviously that's subject to debate... depends on your type of guy.)

Guest YFSC
The "news" that L'Adonis was going to close was all over the Village the last week in June. I heard it from dancers, waiters, and bartenders at several clubs. All told me "everyone" knew this and had known it for some time. And none of them knew exactly when the closing was supposed to happen.

The "news" is not that it was going to close.

The "news" is that it DID close, and suddenly, as it says in the headline of this thread. Typically there is a closing date that is announced a few weeks in advance, and the staff is informed so that they can look for new jobs, for example, when the Gaiety closed in NY. The dancers and bar staff arrived on Sunday and were told in the evening that as of Monday morning they had no jobs. Adonis had been up for sale for 2 years or more, but nothing was final until the past weekend.

Guest YFSC
According to their web site, this isn't true.

(Although my French isn't top notch!)

I was there this weekend, good crowd! Decent guys too!

Jake, according to standing on Ste. Catherine Street in front of Adonis, it is true.

You're a little late to the thread bud, keep reading! :) They changed their site literally after I submitted the post. I was there Sunday night and all was normal. And until Monday night, their site said they were staying open and that their closing was not true. Right after I posted, the updated their site to what it looks like now.

I am so bummed about the closure. I know it's re-opening, but the "new formula" part makes me suspect it'll be a 180 degree turn on who they hire - which for those who enjoy the college age guys like me, is a real let down. Fortunately Campus has picked up some of the slack in recent visits, even if it is only during the first 1/2 of the day. Hopefully now that there will be a void in the city, they'll keep a few of the younger types around later into the night.

Or maybe Taboo will now come back to life. It's been on life support.

Last Friday evening I took a tour of Campus, Adonis and Taboo, just out of curiosity as I hadn't been to any of them for a few months. At Campus, my favorite dancer wasn't there and I was told by the new manager that he had left several months ago.

So I walked down to Adonis and it was pretty dead for a Friday night. Taboo was also pretty lowkey but I thought the dancers were looking better since they weren't all twinks, who just don't do it for me. I met Dusty, who seemed quite engaging and was willing to sit and talk after his dance. He didn't push for a lap dance but did indicate was his limits were in that area.

The news that Adonis is changing ownership doesn't surprise me. I think a lot of the old guard in the Village is looking at retirement and ways to get out, if they haven't already. A number of gay B&B's are for sale as well.

The summer weather can't be helping business as we have had a lot of rain. Last week they had an art festival on Ste Catherine and it rained several of the days. As all the art was displayed in outdoor kiosks, people just disappeared and the disappointed vendors closed up early. I imagine not many sales were made.

I notice that the crowds are down this summer, probably because of the economy. I know I look at my investments and still feel the need for restraint in my spending.

...I notice that the crowds are down this summer, probably because of the economy...

I'm sorry to hear that. When I visited 2 weeks ago, it seemed there were fewer people on the street (Ste. Catherine) than last summer, even on St. Jean Baptiste. But a 5-day sample wasn't large enough to rule out a random fluctuation, and I wasn't certain I could trust my memory.

Adonis

Reliable information, Adonis will reopen the third or last week of July under a new name.

It will have 5 nights of Ladys night.

The new owner is trying to lure customers from 281. On the other 2 nights

ladys will be permitted also.

The inside will be redesigned with a new bar and new lap dance salons on the second floor.

There will also be a smoking terrace on the roof.

If you like stip clubs with ladys around this might be for you.. Not for me !!

Yes, the new owner is Str8.

Reliable information...It will have 5 nights of Ladys night....On the other 2 nights ladys will be permitted also

In what way does this differ from just saying "every night will be ladies' night?"

Does your reliable source know whether, on ladies' nights, ladies will be permitted any time the club is open, or only during restricted hours?

You're a little late to the thread bud, keep reading! :) They changed their site literally after I submitted the post. I was there Sunday night and all was normal. And until Monday night, their site said they were staying open and that their closing was not true. Right after I posted, the updated their site to what it looks like now.

No, you're a little late to the thread, bud, but keep posting! :-)

I started the thread, and you're the one who claimed that what I said was "not true".

Websites may take a while to update, but the door was locked for good at 3am after Sunday night. I was there in the real world, not virtually.

You can all be on time to my next question: IS the place going to be, as first rumored:

Rumor has it that the new owner wants to turn the bar into a muscle strip bar, of the sort that Stock used to be. The name will be changed. Alterations need to be made inside, and the new bar needs to be open for gay pride in August, thus the sudden closing on Sunday.

OR:

Is it going to be a bar for ladies,in which event it wouldn't need to open for gay pride? (And, in which event, it would lose most of us.)

Reliable information, Adonis will reopen the third or last week of July under a new name.

It will have 5 nights of Ladys night.

The new owner is trying to lure customers from 281. On the other 2 nights

ladys will be permitted also.

The inside will be redesigned with a new bar and new lap dance salons on the second floor.

There will also be a smoking terrace on the roof.

If you like stip clubs with ladys around this might be for you.. Not for me !!

Yes, the new owner is Str8.

This is pretty much the same as the information I have been able to get, from a source which is not authoritative, but fairly reliable.

The previous owner of Stock (who sold out about a year ago) bought the building where Adonis is/was. There's nothing else in that building. He wants to open a new strip club, under a new name, in time for Gay Pride (mid-August); thus the immediate closing of Adonis, so that he can have remodeling/renovations done.

According to what I have heard (remember it's not authoritative, but it's pretty reliable) he wants to have a "different kind of club," mixed m and f (and I get the impression that that also means more upscale). The staff (bartenders, wait-persons) will be both m and f. The club will be open 5 nights a week, and every night will be ladies' night, i.e., the club will always be open to both men and women. The dancers will be all male, except that once or twice a month there will also be female dancers (at least in the beginning, to see how it works). According to what I heard, the male dancers will be muscle boys, the bigger side of the mix that is now at Stock. (Years ago, Stock used to be almost entirely beefy muscle guys, maybe 8 out of 10. Over the years the balance has been shifting towards the middle, so that it now seems to be only about 2 or 3 muscle guys out of 10, and is primarily athletic-body guys (bigger/taller guys, but not top-heavy), at least when I am there. No twinks or feminine types.) The manager of Stock resigned from there several days ago, and reportedly will be the manager of the new club.

My opinion: Sounds like the new club will be a zoo, especially when there are both m and f dancers, but also all nights with the new mix of patrons. The atmosphere will be very different, and it will attract a very different type of clientele from the old Adonis or even Stock (i.e., different not just because of the change to Stock-type dancers). I don't think very many of the current "regulars" at any of the Ste-C strip clubs will be going there much. But, as they say, "we'll see."

And that's the news from Ste. Catherine, where all the dancers are hot, all the women will be at the new club, and all the dicks are above average. ;-)

"The manager of Stock resigned from there several days ago, and reportedly will be the manager of the new club."

Such loyalty! You give a guy a job, trust him to manage your business, let him get experience, and he then goes down the street to compete with you.

You can all be on time to my next question: IS the place going to be, as first rumored:

OR:

Is it going to be a bar for ladies,in which event it wouldn't need to open for gay pride? (And, in which event, it would lose most of us.)

Lucky, see the post I just made elsewhere in this thread -- if you can find it, that is. I hate this new format. You can't see the list of all the posts and it keeps condensing down.

The new plan actually sounds like quite a good business plan. If you look at the mix of folk enjoying the various bars and restaurants along St. Catherine throughout the week and throughout the evening, you'll see young, old, male, female and everywhere inbetween. There are more and more mixed groups - gays, straights, guys and girls - and a strip club catering to that same mix should do well. Especially if it's a fun, welcoming environment.

It's a shame that the club won't be re-opening with Tiguidou as he seems to have created a really welcoming bar in L'Adonis before it closed, some fun contests and good atmosphere among dancers and customers. Also having Alain behind the bar made it a really friendly place before - I always found it friendlier than the other three bars.

The remodel sounds sensible and a better use of the space. I just have a doubt in my mind over how successful it will actually be for the new roster of dancers though... mixed crowd clients and a wider age-spread could well lead to way less lap dances. I just feel more comfortable being approached for lap dances when the crowd is mostly men.

J

Archived