JP Cabaret in Montreal opened today at 8PM (Old Adonis Place)

DanseurMTL
This topic is 5529 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/3777163816_93779e8076.jpg

It is called JP Cabaret after the owner, Jean Philippe. The banner reads very explicitly the number 1681, which is the civic address of the bar, but it was never a big deal when Adonis existed... That is until you changed the bar to compete against Le Club 281... Very subtle indeed.

I heard the rumors earlier today... So I headed up there at 21:30. A bunch of local regulars were outside groaning about the $5 cover charge, but I couldn't resist my curiosity so I went inside. Sorry I couldn't take any photos inside, there were so paranoid with my camera and the place was full of staff everywhere and there were not a lot of customers to hide myself. I counted like 20 customers inside, mostly curious local guys, which I am sure are not coming back IN A LONG WHILE. Less than ten dancers, I'd say 8 guys most probably from Stock Bar.

The only familiar face was a young blond slightly overweight man in his late twenties, I think he was a manager of Stock or something, he looked like the manager here, dressed in black. They had two(!) doormen, one at the gate and the other at the second inner door, just after a new coat check booth handled by a young attractive woman!

Inside the bar has been kept the same, but I couldn't see the old Blue dry signs on top of the bar. They made a new stairway right near the entrance of the bar (using some of the space from the small storage room behind the cash register of the bar), but it is for STAFF ONLY. I was turned away...

The walls have lost their copper sheet covering and all that's left is this ugly plain cream color. The place is not as dark as it used to be, but the downside is that it looks bigger and more empty. They have hi-tech lights going all over the place.

Ok, the stage has been redesigned, I could see that they mounted two tall vertical mirrors side by side with a curtain in the middle, this was a meter away from the wall, and this small space now serves as a backstage for the dancers to get ready.

I really don't remember seeing a DJ booth(I could be wrong here), yes, the couches are still there, but over where the DJ booth used to be and the private rooms, they put a smaller secondary bar.

Going upstairs through the old "dancers stair" the shower has been removed and they installed a small private washroom. The lockers were removed and in old Tiguidoux's office you have a room that contains all the cabins for lap dances. They have no curtains, and there's a sign reading something like sorry for the inconvenience but its not ready yet...

The terrace is done, as it was before the place shut down on July 5th. Oddly there are no chairs/ tables. There is nothing there except a wooden terrace with wooden floor and walls. Interestingly enough, they blocked with a wooden panel the entry to the old emergency stairwell leading down from the terrace... I don't understand how the building inspectors allowed this!!!

So I left promptly after seeing how the new owner Jean-Philippe has partially "remodeled" Adonis...

In my opinion he should have waited to reopen until all the work was done. The place is not finished.

Thanks so much for the updates over the past few days.

Wish the news was better - I may pop into this place once just to see it, but yeah, sounds like it'll be a ghost town fast. Here's hoping anyway! I'd love to see this place go under quickly. Definitely will be spending my time at Campus and Taboo now I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived