Shocking Allegation At Strip Club

Lucky
This topic is 5344 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Daily News is on top of it! Read the story of the strip club that actually had the gall to charge the dancers to work there! What would happen if the 20Club tried to do this? :)

Penthouse dancer Leslie Liwanag's lawsuit: I had to pay jiggle joint to perform there!

BY Alison Gendar

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, February 12th 2010, 4:00 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/12/amd_liwanag.jpg Penthouse dancer Leslie Liwanag

A Penthouse dancer claims the famous jiggle joint cheats its performers out of wages, withholds tips and even charges them for the privilege of working there, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday in Manhattan federal court.

Leslie Liwanag claims the club takes a 20% slice out of dancers' tips, makes them buy their own costumes, cheats them out of overtime and makes them pay a fee to perform, according to the lawsuit filed by lawyers Justin M. Swartz and Sonia R. Lin, of Outten & Golden LLP, and Gratienne (Sienna) Baskin, of the Sex Workers Project at the Urban Justice Center.

When I used to dance I was a special guest at Remington's in Toronto a few times...I had to pay a house fee to dance ($40 a day I think to do both day and night shifts), plus if I wanted to get taken out of rotation for "take-out" I had to tip the DJ, I think $10 or 20.

Plus $100 for my employment authorization, and $150 for my city burlesque entertainer license. It definitely added up! :)

The Daily News is on top of it! Read the story of the strip club that actually had the gall to charge the dancers to work there! What would happen if the 20Club tried to do this? :)

My memory is failing me, but I think one of the dancers at the Corner Pocket in New Orleans mentioned they had to pay as well. I think it was nominal, like $10. I think it was more on the order that by paying the club, they were independent contractors and not employees. Maybe some of the legal minds of the forum can provide some insight on why this is and if it serves some legal purpose.

I believe the 20 Club charges the dancers $100 to work there.

It's not all a Club 20 charge. They have to "tip" the security guard upstairs watching their things (lest they end up going home in their g-string) and the DJ (lest he screw up even more with their music). Altogether, it's a bit above $100. The Adonis Lounge charges about a third of that amount and I've seen them collect it from some dancers at the end of the evening.

Denise at the Gaiety actually paid the dancers $5.00 a dance. So for 6 shows they made $30.00 a day. If you added up the privates, some of them made $thousands a week. I think they earned it. Could you have sex, or something like it, with people you weren't attracted to, six or more times a day? I couldn't. Anyone who says this is easy money doesn't know what they are talking about. Crazy as it may sound, these guys get my respect. I'm amazed they handle it so well. Support your local stripper. They make me happy.

It's not all a Club 20 charge. They have to "tip" the security guard upstairs watching their things (lest they end up going home in their g-string) and the DJ (lest he screw up even more with their music). Altogether, it's a bit above $100. The Adonis Lounge charges about a third of that amount and I've seen them collect it from some dancers at the end of the evening.

That's indeed what I have heard from dancers at Club 20. In addition, at Club 20, they get the $60 tip that the house pays for champagne room visits in 'funny money'. Not sure how 'funny money' translates into 'cash money' but I bet the cash is at a deep discount.

Indeed, support your local strippers. These guys work hard for it ...

House fees are fairly regular at popular strip clubs all over North America (especially in places that don't i-9 or w-4 their employees). even in the places that do, a house fee like $100 a night is a drop in the bucket in major markets for girls in Vegas, LA, Dallas, NYC and Miami. In vegas, you got girls from Rock of Love and various VH1 reality shows all stripping there and they make like in the high 3 digits a night usually.

Some WeHo clubs even didn't pay dancers on certain nights and let them work for tips in 2005 when the club scene was a bit more flush with cash. Didn't last long.

I can't believe this penthouse chick is complaining about it.

Archived