Using Firefox add on for Archiving a Website several pages deep?

Rod Hagen
This topic is 5323 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There's a large photo album a friend posted online. Indiscriminately, I want every larger photo from the photo album onto my computer without having to click every photo and drag/right click it into a folder. Any way to do that on a large scale? It's 26 pages with about 20 photos on each page. THANKS!

-RH

No it is not an addon for firefox. You do not need any browser to use it. That is one of the great things about it.

Beside the GNU link I posted: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/

there is a lot of information here: http://wget.addictivecode.org

Not sure what you downloaded, if it was source code then you would need to compile and build it. If that previous statement makes no sense to you then you most likely should download (as you said you were using mac) and install the OS X package. Which seems to be available here: http://www.merenbach.com/software/wget

Though for all I know OS X already comes with wget.

then you will probably just type something like:

wget --mirror URL

where you replace URL with the url of whatever you are archiving.

But there are thousand different ways you might choose to do it, how deep to go, which images or other things do download, maximum sizes, names to use etc.

Nerd. And I say that with love. :cool:

Gkreat love of nerddom myself, but don't have time to learn and insert code.

No add ons? No fully running programs? There has to be a freestanding Mac program that can do this for me. Haven't bothered with code since 1996, not about to restart now.

Thanks!

It is fully running.

wget IS FREESTANDING.

an add on would NOT BE FREESTANDING.

It would take you like 1 to 10 minutes to read the relevant information and another few minutes to do it.

Gkreat love of nerddom myself, but don't have time to learn and insert code.

No add ons? No fully running programs? There has to be a freestanding Mac program that can do this for me. Haven't bothered with code since 1996, not about to restart now.

Thanks!

There has to be a freestanding Mac program that can do this for me. Haven't bothered with code since 1996, not about to restart now.

Google coughed up this as the first hit:

http://www.sitesucker.us/mac.html

I don't use a Mac and make no promises, but it looks like it might do what you want without requiring you to type commands in Terminal.app.

Google coughed up this as the first hit:

Is typing cogent search terms into google considered coding?

...it might do what you want without requiring you to type commands in Terminal.app.

Thankfully one won't have to actually type something difficult like one whole command maybe as long and hard as:

wget -r -A jpg whateversite.org/stuff

So much more fun to click away with the mouse kind of like a video game or

watching TV. The only thing that would make it better is if it was sold by Microsoft

and available at McDonalds or Starbucks.

Raul if you wish to use your computer to make simple tasks difficult, feel free. Let me just say that we pay people to write, or even copy and past, our code for the same reason we pay others to cut our hair: not because we are unable, but because we simply don't wish to.

Thank you Deej. Literally took less than 6 minutes to download the program, learn (duh) it, run it, download everything I needed. Actually it took me more time to type those last two sentences than to get done what I needed, so Let Me ReaPeat:

THANK YOU DEEJ!! You ROCK!!!

Is typing cogent search terms into google considered coding?

No, and I didn't say it did. Where is this vitriol coming from?

I make my living as a coder and am perfectly happy to do so.

Thankfully one won't have to actually type something difficult like one whole command maybe as long and hard as:

wget -r -A jpg whateversite.org/stuff

So much more fun to click away with the mouse kind of like a video game or

watching TV. The only thing that would make it better is if it was sold by Microsoft

and available at McDonalds or Starbucks.

Wow, and a Microsoft diatribe in a Mac discussion to boot. Still NO INFORMATION FOR THE HAPLESS MAC USER HOW TO GET TO WHERE THEY TYPE THE COMMAND. Most of them don't know how to do that.

Hitting the Patron this evening are we?

Downloading the program and then typing 'wget -r -A jpg whateversite.org/stuff '

might not have taken you longer than 6 minutes.

It might be very useful to you in the future, probably paying for its possibly steeper learning curve the second or third time you want to do something like that again.

Also when it comes to GNU open source utilities like wget you can be pretty confident that it will be ported to every computer known to man that is capable of running it. Meaning that when you switch to the next model computer ( from Apple, Dell, IBM or whoever) you can use the same program without having to relearn anything.

That you think typing one line is harder than playing with your mouse and menus is subjective.

That you suggest I use my computer to make simple tasks difficult is rude.

A huge reason we pay others to cut our hair is because it is difficult and awkward to cut ones own hair.

Whereas with the ubiquity of razors and mirrors most of us find it actually quicker and easier to shave ours own face rather than go to the barber every day or two.

Raul if you wish to use your computer to make simple tasks difficult, feel free. Let me just say that we pay people to write, or even copy and past, our code for the same reason we pay others to cut our hair: not because we are unable, but because we simply don't wish to.

But I do appreciate your help Raul.

Thank you Deej. Literally took less than 6 minutes to download the program, learn (duh) it, run it, download everything I needed. Actually it took me more time to type those last two sentences than to get done what I needed, so Let Me ReaPeat:

THANK YOU DEEJ!! You ROCK!!!

Raul, I read the links you sent me several times and had no idea what they were talking about. I have no idea where to enter code into my Mac. I was very happy to have a point and click app from Deej. Your derision of point and click and odd connection of it to Starbucks prompted the making things difficult comment and you could have guessed that.

And I contend that rereading several pages of instruction for 12 minutes, and STILL not getting it, is, for me, much more difficult than an intuitive program that Deej provided where I can Point, Click, and in no time at all, have all 120 JPGs in my preferred directory. It even organized the photos by small jpgs and large jpgs!

Deej my post was NOT directed at you. I am very sorry if it seemed so.

I know full well that you know as well as me or better what is coding.

Hell I think we have even exchanged messages along those lines, no?

It was meant to be a jab at Rod for saying he hasn't coded since 1996.

Lets not beat me up, I entered this thread ONLY for the purpose of helping Rod.

Deej, I felt genuine happiness and good humor from your nerd mention.

AGAIN NOTHING biting or jabbing, no vitriol or discomfort was intended for you Deej. You were very kind to search for Rod and diplomatic in your presentation. However I WAS put off by Rods disinterest in what he oddly calls "coding".

Frankly I didn't even know from his initial post that he was using a Mac. I don't use a mac, but I know wget works for them and I know that OS X has a command window. Am not sure how you get the command window but I think there may be an icon on the desktop or one or two mouse clicks through drop down menus to get it.

If there is any mac user of OS X who doesn't know where to type a command than I can guarantee you that it would behoove them to take the ONE minute to ask someone. Once they learn where to point the mouse on the desktop and get that command window they will find they can do all manner of timesaving things. Even if 99% of the time they don't bother to type commands. That one percent will surely make it worthwhile at least knowing.

You may not hardly ever open your cars hood but I bet you like the idea of knowing how to open it or that you can open it or that your mechanic of your choosing can open it.

And I doubt very many people would not be interested in knowing where the hood release is located.

No, and I didn't say it did. Where is this vitriol coming from?

I make my living as a coder and am perfectly happy to do so.

Wow, and a Microsoft diatribe in a Mac discussion to boot. Still NO INFORMATION FOR THE HAPLESS MAC USER HOW TO GET TO WHERE THEY TYPE THE COMMAND. Most of them don't know how to do that.

Hitting the Patron this evening are we?

Raul, you'll get no argument from me that computer users should be better aware of how their computers work. Not gonna happen, but we can dream.

But a wise old Polish-American woman from Pennsylvania once told me:

"Make sure you answer the right question. When a child asks 'Mommy, where did I come from?' it does no good to repeat the stork story or describe the procreation process when the answer he wants is 'Cleveland'."

It sometimes bugs me when these tech threads get bogged down in bashing when the original question doesn't get answered. You and Rod were stalled over some dumb "how to" question and the original request was getting lost. That's the only reason I chimed in.

I do love your nerd traits. And your hot ass. I have a bottle of Patron at the ready, but still need to find a sturdy table and disposable lampshade. :D

And just for the record, last week I had to show the guy sent by AAA how to open the hood on my car so he could give me a jump start.

Archived