Converting .ram to .mp3

Rod Hagen
This topic is 5298 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I should NOT be having this much difficulty converting .ram to .mp3. Using RealPlayer Downloader it simply doesn't recognized the .ram files I have, even though they play on RealPlayer. HELP!

-RH

p.s. FFMPEGX is much too complicated for me.

I don't know the particulars here.

My suggestion would be to contrive some way to record it while it was playing like

looping back the headphone output to line input, if all else fails.

My guess about what is going is that the real player folks intend some material

to not be downloadable, but only to be played ....

.ram files are not audio files so as such they CANNOT be converted directly to various audio formats.

This is done intentionally by RealAudio who as you might imagine does not want you to just simply make a copy as you are in fact trying to do. If it was easy there would be a whole lot more pirating than there already is out there.

.ram files are LINKS to realaudio online streams. Those streams CAN potentially be converted to mp3s either digitally or by analog means as Honcho mentioned. The analog method is basically an analog audio capture which requires either a sound card capable of full duplex operation or a second soundcard or a second computer, or separate sound recorder.

Going the analog route is also less than ideal because there will be data loss, the amount dependent on various factors related to the decoding of the stream AND such mundane things as how long, and noisy your cables are or the quality of your soundcard or playback and recording devices.

Digital capture and conversion is possible and in fact not always difficult but sometimes nearly IMPOSSIBLE without the specific codecs (the thing used to encrypt and decrypt the data) involved. And two different .ram files may have completely different codecs and various other differences in the packaging of the media stream(s).

In some operating systems this is not as difficult because one has access to the internal data paths and drivers. Making an internal, relatively lossless digital loopback much more doable.

If I were to help someone do this I would suggest a couple of different commands in the command window. It might just work with the very first command typed, depending on the above mentioned details, but on the other hand a lot of analysis, or trial and error or screaming at the computer might be involved.

But in any case you didn't seem interested in taking the 30 seconds to learn where to type commands into your mac on your previous request for help.

Certain ways of doing things to a layman seem simpler but often it takes someone experienced to know that some techniques that appear superficially simple may in the long run not be the best OR even most simple way to do something. Or that certain even small skills will pay for themselves the in the long run. This is something that most of us encounter in learning almost anything. "Why do I have to learn that?", "All I want to do is...", "Why can't I just ....", "Didn't seem like I needed that chapter, skill, washer, bolt, lubricant, or extra sanding step, or warmup, so I just left it out, seems simpler that way".

No it wasn't too hard. I'd already done it, several times. Why is everyone in this forum so fucking snippy?

As I said FFMPEGX is too complicated for me and ram2mp3 doesn't work for me. Those are the two main responses in your wonderful google search which I'd already done.

No it wasn't too hard. I'd already done it, several times. Why is everyone in this forum so fucking snippy?

As I said FFMPEGX is too complicated for me and ram2mp3 doesn't work for me. Those are the two main responses in your wonderful google search which I'd already done.

Given your general belligerence towards people trying to help you for free based on damn little information, I recommend you hire someone to do this.

So, in fact, I'm not an audio idiot, and in fact, I do have a means of doing a digital loop back without data loss. And I did read that Rod didn't want to use ffmpegx .

I have a secondary hobby of recording people's concerts for them and use a a fireware attached a/d/a box made by metric halo which has excellent converters and incredible routing. I can assign the system (audio) output from my mac to the MH box, (even do DSP including reverb) and record back to the mac.

The cheapest of their boxes that have that capability is around $1700, which is WAY

too much money just to flawless convert .ram to .mp3. But it did give me the idea

of the simple loop back wire (stereo 1/8 " -> about $6 from radio shack).

But I do thank Raul for taking the trouble to explain in full detail what was going on;

I'm not always that energetic!

• 2 weeks later...

Intrigued by Anton's suggestion, I googled "record from soundcard mac", since Rod has a mac and not a PC, thinking that would narrow the choices a bit.

I looked at 3 choices near the top of the list - Wiretap Studio , "Audio Hijack Pro",

and soundflower . The first two cost money ($70 for one, $32 for the other),

but look convenient and easy-to-use.

Soundflower is free, but is logically equivalent to looping back line out to line in

in software (perfectly, in stead of loosing a bit of quality), so you'd have to run

garage band or some other recording app (audacity is also free), while you were

playing the output.

Archived