Montreal - How disappointing!

Guest mvan1
This topic is 5259 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest mvan1

During the past few days I have been visiting Montreal with a few long time friends who used to travel here with me.

We used to visit this city often until about six years ago. I cut down on my visits to Montreal because I began visiting other cities in different countries. My other friends visited here only occasionally after I stopped visiting here on a regular basis.

The “scene” in Montreal during the period I visited was exciting and rewarding. Montreal had a wonderful “village” that attracted many Canadians, Americans, Europeans (and others) who vacationed or spent days and sometimes weeks in Montreal.

There were fun bars where one could find “dancers” (so to speak) in bars such as Stock, Campos, Adonis and Taboo. There was also the bar beneath the Bourbon Hotel on Ste. Catherine that had numerous “rent-boys” available. And there was the park behind Bourbon Hotel and the streets in front of the dancer bars where one could engage a “rent boy.”

I and my friends returned to the”village” this week and found the streets nearly deserted of young guys. Instead, the streets were filled with older gays standing around in crowds “holding court” in front of popular restaurants while reminiscing about by-gone days. The only young guys we saw were apparent drug users or young guys with female companions.

The popular restaurants we knew were either out of business or had very few customers.

We went to Campos and found several over-the-hill muscle guys that we did not find interesting. Only a few young guys were in Campos but they did not interest us. One guy I knew from more than ten years ago was still trying to “dance” at Campos.

At Stock we found some in-shape “dancers” but when they worked the floor talking with potential customers, they were too aggressive about wanting us to take them in the back room.

Adonis has changed and Taboo is essentially nothing anymore.

Tonight (Friday night with a nice temperature) the streets were still as described above. We left the “village” earlier than we had planned then went to dinner.

We are scheduled to be here a few more days but I am ready to leave now.

I know that nothing lasts, but, what could have caused Montreal’s “village” to decay like it has?

I know it is possible that we just hit a bad week in Montreal. However, given the run down way the village now appears and the scroungy looking people walking around in the village, I doubt our experiences are an anomaly.

Montreal was once one of my favorite cities to visit.

-

I am very saddened to hear your report. I am scheduled to arrive in Montreal on May 12.. I haven't been there in a year.. I used to go twice a year for several years, but back in November of '08 I "discovered" Rio and now split my vacation time between the two cities. I do think the city has changed over the years (my first visit was in 2004.) But name one place that has NOT changed in the last few years. As far as the strip clubs go, I have had visits that I felt were boring, but all it takes is one "hot" boy and your impression of the trip can change rapidly. Don't give up on Montreal (or any other place) after one lackluster visit..It could be that you went in with such high expectations after previous visits that it was impossible to live up to them..

Montreal

Mvan1

I'm not sure how long ago your best time in Montreal was but I have been here for 4 years.

Over the past 2 years several stores have closed due to poor business, fires or lease's ending.

Most have either reopened in new locations rebuilt or new busness's have taken over there spaces, last summer a fire over Saloon caused it to close for a short period, it reopened in less than 3 months, the clothing store near Star Bucks closed and reopened as a great Steak Restaurant, a new Sports Station Bar/Restaurant opened near the SAQ and Mikes, a new IGA opened on Ste Catherine.

The corner near the peep show had a closed smoked meat restaurant for years (St Andre) now there is a new Pizza franchise. The police are working to keep the "shady people"

away from that area.

Much has changed and it has been a long winter.

The local business owners, the city and the police are working hard to get rid of the homeless, drug dealers and street peddlers who many of the tourist have been complaining about for years.

You should consider coming back to Montreal during the summer when the street is closed and most of the business's have terraces and people are out and about.

Last week most of the week was in the high 60's except for one day of SNOW.

Things should be back to normal very soon.

COME BACK !!

Interesting thread. I've been to Montreal many times and I've had better trips than others. The city is certainly by far at is best in the summer when the whole city comes out to play.

I've seen businesses in The Village come and go. Running a bar/restaurant is really tough in any market and no-one is immune to the state of the economy.

There is also the broader question of whether the concept of a "gay village" is (sadly) becoming redundant. In lots of cities gay venues have closed because customers are down. This is in part due to broader social acceptance and the fact that gay men no longer need to go to gay venues to meet other men, they can now do so very easily online (gaydar, Grindr etc).

This hasn't just impacted on gay venues. I was talking to someone recently at my old university where I studied 15+ years ago. When I was at university the student bars were a major focal point of student life. Trade is now down significantly, partly because online social networking means students no longer need venues like student bars to meet up with other students, they can keep in touch online.

I will be in Montreal later this month and will report back!

bad Campus experience - evening or afternoon?

...We went to Campos and found several over-the-hill muscle guys that we did not find interesting. Only a few young guys were in Campos but they did not interest us. One guy I knew from more than ten years ago was still trying to “dance” at Campos...
I'm wondering...were these experiences at Campus in the evening, post-9 pm, or in the afternoon?

I was in Montreal 2 weekends ago and I guess the fact I didn't have enough material to write an interesting review speaks volumes?

It's possible I've just gotten bored w/ it... I hadn't been back in about 4 or 5 months, but same faces, same lack of energy in performances, same everything.

When the dancers are bored, and show it, it certainly kills your mood.

oh come on now..you guys are getting me nervous....I am sure I will fall in love all over again (or at least fall in lust) and will have a great trip.. and, if I don't find any "meat" I like in the strip clubs, there is always Schwartz's Smoked Meats.. LOL

oh come on now..you guys are getting me nervous....I am sure I will fall in love all over again (or at least fall in lust) and will have a great trip.. and, if I don't find any "meat" I like in the strip clubs, there is always Schwartz's Smoked Meats.. LOL

Definitely can't go wrong there. Somehow that wasn't a stop this trip... just lost track of time I guess. The Canadian style of cole slaw they have there... love it! And the ketchup potato chips.

Mvan1 makes an interesting point. I have seen the Village evolve over 12 years since I bought a condo here. At that time the Americans were discovering the Village and the great values in real estate and other 'commodities"! The value of the Canadian dollar was so low that everything seemed cheap on an American budget. No longer. The two currencies are now at parity and this has been fluctuating around parity for the last two years.

Many of the Americans have sold their Montreal properties. I imagine the crisis in the US contributed to this because we did not have the same economic meltdown here. Our banks did not need bailing out and the market only went down a little and snapped right back in 2009 so house prices today are higher than ever (some people even think we have a real estate bubble forming).

As for the Village, it is a lot more spruced up than 12 years ago and has been gentrified on a steady basis over the years. The businesses that are renting are paying much higher rents when they renew thier leases and this has forced some out of business. Nothing unusual there but regrettable in my view since the chains stores tend to replace many of the old gay owned business sites (Star Bucks, Tim Hortons, etc). But there are still a good number of gay owned business around.

And yes, we are getting older. And whereas we were used to meeting other gays in bars in our youth, the younger generation is more Internet oriented. But come the summer months, the terraces will appear for an extended period and given some decent weather the Village will prove a strong attraction as it did last year altho the weather wasn't exactly great last year. We'll see!

And I still enjoy myself most times when I visit the stripper bars. Of course there are always some down periods when there is not much doing. At least the boys keep dancing and one can always watch and have a drink!

Guest mvan1

I'm wondering...were these experiences at Campus in the evening, post-9 pm, or in the afternoon?

It was in the late afternoon and evening.

Despite our uneventful experiences this trip, we decided to return to the village to give it another try.

Campus had a couple of interesting guys but not interesting enough to get anyone of us to take one in the back room.

Stock, even though their sign said it opens at eight o'clock, at eight-thirty last night the place was deserted. This was a Saturday night! In the old days, Stock opened in the after noon.

The street (Ste. Catherine) still contained a lot of homeless people that looked dreadful. We saw very few young guys walking around despite the pleasant weather again last night.

We returned to city center where we went to dinner at a wonderful restaurant. I must say that the choice and quality of restaurants in Montreal has greatly improved. However, we did not come all the way to Montreal to find good restaurants.

We are leaving today. I cannot say when or if I will return to Montreal. Like I wrote previously, Montreal was once one of my favorite cities. How sad that our "scene" has nearly disappeared. Disappointing is the only word I can think of to describe my feelings and the feelings of my friends.

It was in the late afternoon and evening.

Despite our uneventful experiences this trip, we decided to return to the village to give it another try.

Campus had a couple of interesting guys but not interesting enough to get anyone of us to take one in the back room.

Stock, even though their sign said it opens at eight o'clock, at eight-thirty last night the place was deserted. This was a Saturday night! In the old days, Stock opened in the after noon.

The street (Ste. Catherine) still contained a lot of homeless people that looked dreadful. We saw very few young guys walking around despite the pleasant weather again last night.

We returned to city center where we went to dinner at a wonderful restaurant. I must say that the choice and quality of restaurants in Montreal has greatly improved. However, we did not come all the way to Montreal to find good restaurants.

We are leaving today. I cannot say when or if I will return to Montreal. Like I wrote previously, Montreal was once one of my favorite cities. How sad that our "scene" has nearly disappeared. Disappointing is the only word I can think of to describe my feelings and the feelings of my friends.

You found the Village pretty much as I left it at the end of November 2008 when

I gave up my apartment there.

Gone was the vitality and charm that had defined it for many years. What happened indeed is sad--for occasional visitors but especially for people who live there.

I thoroughly enjoyed having an apartment there for eight years, as I had enjoyed visiting there often during the previous ten years or so.

I don't have, and have never had, any regrets for having decided to invest so much time and energy in Montreal. I have good memories of the Village, including of course Adonis, Taboo, Campus, and, to a lesser extent, Stock, as well as some of the Montrealers I met there.

But my dearest memories of Montreal have nothing to do with the Village.

x

Montreal no longer interesting

I agree with all the recent posters. After 6 years living in Montreal, I sold my Loft in September.

Montreal and the village is a sad shell of its former self. The strip clubs have very few attractive boys of any type and walking in the village it would be a miracle if you saw more then 1 or 2 cute boys in a 30 minute walk.

Of course it also doesn't help that the US dollar has plummeted against the Canadian Dollar.

A good meal used to cost you 20% less in Montreal even after the ridiculous service and taxes. Now it costs you 25% more.

Many more destinations where you get value for your money.

Very Sadddddddd!!!!!!

Waste of time and money

I am very saddened to hear your report. I am scheduled to arrive in Montreal on May 12.. I haven't been there in a year.. I used to go twice a year for several years, but back in November of '08 I "discovered" Rio and now split my vacation time between the two cities.

snip snip

Hi LurkerSpeaks:

You did not say how long you planned to be in Montreal. If your trip will be only a few days you can probably endure being bored in Montreal.

If you have one week or more planned for your vacation, you should consider visiting the other city you mentioned in your post (Rio de Janeiro).

Probability wise, you will have a wonderful time in Rio. On the other hand, probability wise, you will be disappointed in Montreal and you will spend money to have a dull and boring time.

The hotel prices in Montreal are about twice what I pay in Rio. Therefore, it is possible that you would save money on hotels in Rio. The money you would save on hotels would easily offset the additional money for the air fare to Brazil.

I spend a lot of time in Brazil and go there quite often. I previously spent a lot of time in Montreal but I have no plans to return. Montreal is simply not the same as it was. I doubt if Montreal will ever return to its former self.

I would like to be encouraging and advise you to have a good time in Montreal. However, that would not be realistic based on my current opinion formed by recent experiences while visiting Montreal.

I hope you enjoy your vacation wherever you decide to travel -- Montreal or Rio.

x

thanks. i do leave for montreal on wed may 12. I will be there for 5 nites.. Rio (or wherever I decide on) will be my vacation for November.. I am going into this trip to Montreal with an open mind, but low expectations. This will be my 10th or 12th visit since 2004. The first four years, i went twice a year, but since 2008, it has been once a year.. I admit that things change over time...But from my experiences, as I stated before, all it takes is one "special" person who can make a so-so time into a great time...

I also agree that, at least this year, prices for hotels are up over past years...and even though I am using miles for my tickets this time, cheap airfares can still be found to Montreal occasionally. I live in Phoenix, and a couple of days ago, I received an alert from travelocity for a fare of $153 RT.. (of course it was plus taxes, etc, but still around $200 total). Airfare from here to Rio ranges from $800-$1000..

As I also commented in other threads.. I can definitely get more bang for my buck in Rio..

Thailand

If you have the time go to Thailand. Airfare about the same as Brazil but Hotels will be even cheaper and far nicer. Don't get me wrong Rio is great but variety is always better.

Everything will be cheaper in Thailand then Brazil . You have to like Asian boys but the selection is vast and far more venues then Brazil. You have massage parlors, gogo bars, beer bars with working boys and endless supply of boys on Gayromeo.

Its a long flight so you have to have at least 7 days to spend in my opinion., although I know people who come for 5 days but not as far away as you.

http://www.gaythailand.com http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com http://www.gaytingtong.com

http://www.shamlessmack.com http://www.dreadedned.com etc etc etc

How widely spoken is English in Thailand? Will I be able to communicate without having any knowledge of any asian language?...

What is the going rate for boys in thailand? Does it work like the Rio saunas or do you take them back to your hotel?

I was considering Bangkok for my November birthday, but the extra flight time was one deterant.. but if English is fairly widely spoken, then it could offset the travel time..

Thanks

More English spoken then Brazil. The level is still basic in many instances but again boys know more english then Brazilian boys and level of English by staff in Hotels etc is at least equal to an probably better then in Brazil

Costs vary but massage parlor with real massage and sex afterwards, 90 minutes anywhere from $40-$60. GoGo bars off fee and tip again varies city and bar but between $35-$60 for 2 hours and $55-$75 all night.. No problem bringing boys back to room.

If you spend some time on gayromeo before you arrive boys might cost you only $40 all night. Also possible to find boys at beach or street for $20.

All and all comparable in price to Brazil but you get a lot more time. Its not 15 minutes in a cabin the size of a closet which is what you get at Rio saunas.

Different experience

I'll add to this litany of disillusionment but from a different perspective. I've been visiting MTL for 13+ years and have hit almost every month of the calendar there (except January and February, of course....I'm not crazy.) I've probably been 40 times at least...I certainly don't believe I come with lowered expectations but allow for broader ones.

I totally understand why the village would look less than appealing in April as I've noticed it takes awhile for the city to recover from its brutal winters and if you visit during a time when snow is still possible, you're going to encounter the remants of slush, potholed streets and a generally weary, worn appearance. (I stopped visiting in April after a 2 foot snowstorm hit during a weekend visit back in '98.) This all seems to disappear as temps get warmer the city transitions from snow removal to their festival season.

What I love about Montreal: (besides Campus, Stock et al.)

- Countless festivals serve as distractions until evening club time comes around. I've tried to hit most of the major ones and have not been disappointed. Their weekly fireworks competitions are incredible in the summer-I'll be there next month to enjoy Italy's entry.

- in the summer, they've continued the practice of closing St. Catherine St. in the village to make a pedestrian area and the people watching alone provides terrific entertainment. Chatting with friends at a terrasse drinking at each stop along the way-it gets no better than that IMO.

-There are many other parts to the city that I've had the pleasure of exploring and been captivated by as well (i.e. Old Montreal.)

-The men of Montreal...they're gorgeously put together men. In winter, they cover up, but in summer the views are bountiful. (It usually starts with the hunky customs agent when I arrive and continues as I make my way through the airport and to the hotel.) I'm clearly not understanding the observation that the city's supply of gorgeous men is dwindling.

What I've learned about visiting Montreal:

-It's lots of fun with friends to share the experience. Going by yourself can be okay at times, but it's much more fun with folks whose company you enjoy (I'm thinking newatthis and Oliver right now.)

-Also, I've found that if the strip clubs are lacking, I've been able to explore the dance clubs to compensate. Unity always seems busy and fun and I've had great nights of dancing in Parking, Tools and Stud.

-There are certainly enough saunas to keep you occupied as well if that's something you enjoy.

I know Lurker has likely been to MTL many times and knows all this but I have a feeling he was looking for more favorable and encouraging observations to get in the mood for his trip and wasn't finding it (until now.) Have a great trip and a fine time. I look forward to your trip report when you return.

I'll add to this litany of disillusionment but from a different perspective. I've been visiting MTL for 13+ years and have hit almost every month of the calendar there (except January and February, of course....I'm not crazy.) I've probably been 40 times at least...I certainly don't believe I come with lowered expectations but allow for broader ones.

Based on the postings to this thread, others have also been to Montreal many times over a period of years and are disappointed at the changes in the village.

-It's lots of fun with friends to share the experience. Going by yourself can be okay at times, but it's much more fun with folks whose company you enjoy (I'm thinking newatthis and Oliver right now.)

I agree, going with friends makes the experience of Montreal better. However, due to the negative changes found in the village, even good friends cannot expiate for the loss of what formerly was found in Montreal's village.

-Also, I've found that if the strip clubs are lacking, I've been able to explore the dance clubs to compensate. Unity always seems busy and fun and I've had great nights of dancing in Parking, Tools and Stud.

We do not go to Montreal for dancing. I am aware of the clubs you cited - - Tools and Stud are not strip clubs rather they are more leather type bars. Those bars do not substitute for the strip bars that we once enjoyed.

-There are certainly enough saunas to keep you occupied as well if that's something you enjoy.

The "saunas" found in Montreal are not in any way similar to the saunas we find in Brazil. We do not travel to Montreal to go to saunas.

I know Lurker has likely been to MTL many times and knows all this but I have a feeling he was looking for more favorable and encouraging observations to get in the mood for his trip and wasn't finding it (until now.)

I agree. Lurker was probably looking for a favorable report about Montreal. Instead, he got honest opinions from visitors who reported that the village has changed for the worse.

I as well as one other poster (above) plus friends I knew who had condos and apartments in Montreal have sold their condos or abandoned their apartments. We all cannot be wrong in our reaction to the negative changes to the village in Montreal.

To be clear, Montreal is a beautiful city with lots of fine restaurants and interesting cultural things to do. However, the Montreal I and others knew just a few years ago no longer exits.

I, too, hope that Lurker has a good time in Montreal. At the same time, he should be prepared to be disappointed at the negative changes found in the village scene.

Again, thanks for all the input. I strongly believe that if you go into something expecting a bad time, that is exactly what you will get. If you go in with your expectations too high, likewise you are prone to disappointment. I am going into this week as time away from home, relaxation, viewing some scenery other than cacti and desert, and to visit with a good friend. From tbat perspective, there will be no disappointment.

Again, thanks for all the input. I strongly believe that if you go into something expecting a bad time, that is exactly what you will get.

Remember Benjamin Franklin's assessment of pessimism - - He said "When going into a new adventure I always expect the worst. When that does not happen, I am pleasantly surprised."

Good luck on your trip to Montreal. I hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

-

Have visited MTL this week. Some businesses in The Village have come and gone but I did spot a few new restaurants and some properties that are being fitted out for new openings. There were also quite a few homeless people on the streets but I wouldn't describe the area as over-run with homeless people. Stock was dead on Thursday night (there is normally a reasonable sized crowd) whereas Campus was quite busy. I've always preferred Stock and on Friday it was as good as it has ever been. The place was full with a good atmosphere and a lot of dancers dancing as couples and much less of the disinterested "Stock Shuffle" of the past.

The strip clubs have only been a small part of my trips to the city, and I still enjoy the great clubs (Parking, Unity and Stereo) as well as the rest of the city.

Archived